Atlas pilots released to strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TurboS7

Atlas pilots are released to strike the 28th. The problem is that Atlas for the most part is an ACMI(Aircraft Crew Maintenance Insurance)airline. The pilots can stop work and strike but the freight will just go via another airline due to contractoral inability of Atlas to move the freight. The pilots will accomplish nothing but flush all their contracts down the tubes to other carriers. What will the pilot's of the other ALPA carriers do???In the case of previous strikes Delta gladly profited on EAL's bad fortune, also AA and all the other airlines. During the NWA strike other carriers took up the balance and profited. In the cargo industry this same thing will be happening, how do all of you feel about that???

I wish the Atlas pilots the best of luck

I understand the perilous position of the pilots at Atlas--I have several friends there--and I know that this has been festering for a very long time. I don't think there's anything they haven't considered.

Any time a group of people stand up at great personal risk to improve things for others inspires my support.

Well there are 5000+ of them that would just love to get their hands on a 747 and fly it for 50K per year----right.....$$$$$$

The sticky question is the pinch that the Polar pilots are put into with an Atlas strike, and if the alter-ego union buster company, AACS, will scab or not.

I am not fully familiar with Polar's union, I thought they were also ALPA . But what could stop ATLAS from moving whatever flying that would be affected by a strike to Polar? As a matter of fact what if that's what they are really aiming for. As recently as today I heard that they were looking for ways to increase their cash due to the completion of several ACMI contracts this year, I think their stock also got downgraded. Well, I think you will probably see something dramatic coming out of Atlas Mgmt and it won't be good for the pilots.

I'm sure the Polar guys will fly some of the freight, it's kind of hard knowing who's freight you got in the guppy.

Scabstead, that's a different story, no doubt those Britts whould jump on a chance to fly some overtime. The good thing is that Scabstead is understaffed right now and that it will be very few training pilots around after cooling off period is over, to train Scabs.

I hope Atlas dosn't become another Emory. :(

Latest resources

Back