Atlas interviewing!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CCDiscoB said:
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll be a little less aggressive at trying to work there.

I see you are jumping ship and going to SWA. Is this for quality of life? You'd rather fly the 737 for the rest of your career that the -400. I wondered, hypothetically of course, if I was to ever work for Atlas and FedEx called would I go to FedEx. Go from flying the right seat to the panel. Hmm, the lives of a professional pilot, very interesting. At my age (40) I can’t do much job changing. What are you thoughts?

That is such a no-brainer. Second year MD-11 FO pay at FedEx is around $125 an hour, or more than a whale captain at Atlas. Also, FedEx has a business model that needs airplanes to move things. Atlas started as an aircraft leasing company, if they feel crew costs are getting too high, they could revert to that model without too much grief, and fire everybody.

Atlas Interview

Hello.........and happy holidays!!!!

I was interviewed in Miami on Friday, Dec. 13(what luck). Atlas had me holed up at the Embassy Suites at MIA. Fellow applicants were a total of 8......4 Emery DC-8 Captains, 2 Airborne 8 F/O's, 1 KittyHawk 747 F/O, and me, a current 727 Captain and former 707 driver.

I was told that Atlas went straight for experience........everyone had heavy jet PIC and types, heavy international experience and everyone except me had at least 10.000 hrs. total + flight time.

Meet with Jim Lesser, a -400 Captain for a brief company HR introduction, and a check on all the paperwork, applications, and a brief scan of my logbooks.

Jim stated that this is Atlas first interviews in over 2 years, and was looking to fill appx. 18 people asap for a class on January 6. Additional classes are thought to be on January 27, and Feb 18 for a total of appx. 50 pilots.

Hiring is for an additional -200 coming out of desert storage, a new -400 to be delivered, and a increase in flying for a present customer and also extra military charters. All new hires will go into the -200 series. They told us all -400 crews were inline with seniority, so no newhires in that a/c.

Then introduced to Eileen McGuire Dir. of HR, for a HR discussion on pay, insurance, benefits, schedules, and handed her all the applications and release forms for her review,etc. Then broke for lunch.

After lunch, was interviewed by a 3 person panel, Ms. McGuire, and 2 Captain types(sorry can't remember names). Basic HR questions, What do you know about Atlas? accidents/violations?, training failures/problems?, how do you feel about flying 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off? where did you get your jet training? what type of simulator? What type of long range NAV equip. I have used? Straight forward basic stuff.

The only oddball question ask of me was give a N. Atlantic position
report....I did and that was the end of the questions.

I hope I get the job. All in all, a very stress free, laid back experience. I wish all interviews were this way.

Hope this helps at least 1 person. We all need assistance in this very bad 121 airline economy.

Best wishes to everyone.

9drvr.

Interview-hiring information??????

Hello............I was ask to make this post, so hear goes.

I was interviewed on Dec. 13, 2002 in Miami. I was recently told by a Polar Air friend that Atlas is now going to rehire some former
crewmembers that are now on furlough from United, American, UsAir, etc.

These crew members are still in their FAR 121 2 year training limit, so therefore the company can give a recurrent training ground school, and some limited sim training and be on the line very quick.

I was told to expect a full initial new hire class appx late spring-early summer.

Hope this information helps in the job search. Best wishes to everyone.

9drvr.

Atlas?

Great flying
Well maintained airplanes (at least they were two years ago)
Very diverse routes worldwide
Great crews (with the exception of one MIA captain I flew with . . an Eastern scab)
Good training

Pay and benefits. Poor 2 years ago. Now that they have a
contract it may be better.
Very long trips
Lots of deadheading (although at least it's business class)
Slimy, shark-like management

When I left, F/O attrition was 25% a year.

Latest resources

Back