Atlanta vs. Orlando

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pdub20s

At the end of my training I will have the option of choosing ATL or Orlando... Which base would you chose to live in?

Some of the determining factors are..

* Cost of living
*Weather
*Women :)
*Things to do
*Night Life

etc...

Funny that. They told you that you can choose whether you'd like MCO or ATL huh?? Well just as a heads up the choice will be either ATL or ATL...Yup, you heard right.... Hope you like ATL!

Since you work for Freedumb, I'd personally live in Fargo ND and commute. You will have less of a chance of getting pi$$ed on there......

Funny that. They told you that you can choose whether you'd like MCO or ATL huh?? Well just as a heads up the choice will be either ATL or ATL...Yup, you heard right.... Hope you like ATL!

Trust me..i have no problem living in the ATL... Just trying to see what is the better of the two paradises. Also i know i dont get to chose. But talking to someone at MESA... there are openings at both bases..

I live in ATL and have for the past 7 years. I, for one, like it. However, I'm also married with kids and living in the northern suburbs. For a single guy wanting to live in ATL, you'll want to live in town. Here's what to expect from that.....

Cons:
- If you buy anything in Fulton or Dekalb County, be prepared to pay exorbitant property taxes (buddy of mine pays $7000 a year on a $350,000 house)
- If you rent, be prepared to pay at least $850 a month for a one bedroom that's not in close proximity to a crack house
- For a city its size, there's shockingly little to do in the way of social life. Sure, there's Buckhead, Highlands, Decatur, etc., but I've seen better social opportunities in much smaller cities (ie. Nashville, Charlotte, Birmingham)
- Forget public transportation, it hardly exists. Unless you live directly on a MARTA line, you're better off driving.
- High crime in town and a downright terrifying drive to the airport (average 2 traffic fatalities a day in the metro area)

Pros:
- Real estate values in ATL consistently beat the national averages. Buy here, and it's a pretty safe bet.
- Lots of decent professional sporting events
- Pretty friendly population, as a rule of thumb
- Excellent dining and some damm fine bars in Highlands, Decatur, etc.
- Low Catholic population (in other words, Southern girls put out)
- We make good beer here.

I don't know Jack about Orlando, so I won't begin to compare the two. However, there's my take on Atlanta.

Hope that helps, even though I despise you Mesa jackasses and live for the day I can pee on your graves...... relax, I'm kidding.

If you do choose Da' ATL, best of luck to you. It's not a bad town to call home. In fact, some might even call it, "So So Def...." (ASA guys who drive the connector will get that one!)

Last edited:
I've lived in both cities and prefer MCO by far. But, remember that the Disneyland thing wears off and gets old. The good news is that there's plenty of things to do and everything is a short drive or short flight away....ie....Key West, Miami, Daytona Beach.

Not that you'll be able to afford it as a Mesa FO (don't feel bad, I can't afford it as a SWA FO either) but MCO does offer the option of living close to the beach and still being driving distance to work.

Maybe if the FL real estate prices continue to drop <sigh>

Living in MCO itself is not my particular cup of tea. Too touristy, but there is a lot of night life (as mentioned, Church Street Station. It's just as much if not more fun than Buckhead, without the fear of being shot) I'd much rather live an hour or 2 away and be at the beach. But that's just me.

I've been based in both ATL and MCO. I'd take MCO any day, with the only down side being the cost of real estate and the high load factors in the summer which make non rev a pain.

But if you like the whole salt water, palm tree, beach thing, it's hard to beat MCO.

Latest resources

Back