Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ohplease! said:
peckerhead........

Waiting on that bonus from management for saving a few pounds of gas?

Don't know about you guys, but I taxi SE and descend efficiently for myself. Every pound of gas I save is one more available to me when the weather goes to crap.

IFlyFL410 said:
On an off note....has anyone been doing the 4.0 degree descent!?!?
Tried it the other day according to the new revision. It states to fly at "idle" and adjust your descent rate to maintain a 4 degree glide path. Ok, so I do this and by the time we get from the upper 30's to the upper teens all of our airspeed has gone away. I wouldn't mind the 4 degree descent as long as we could adjust the power to be 10 below the barber pole.

Last edited:
Stifler's Mom said:
IFlyFL410 said:
On an off note....has anyone been doing the 4.0 degree descent!?!? quote]

Tried it the other day according to the new revision. It states to fly at "idle" and adjust your descent rate to maintain a 4 degree glide path. Ok, so I do this and by the time we get from the upper 30's to the lower 20's all of our airspeed has gone away. I wouldn't mind the 4 degree descent as long as we could adjust the power to be 10 below the barber pole.

Yeah, you really have to keep a touch of power in (500ish pph per side) to keep the airspeed up at barber pole-10. If they truely want us to fly power-idle descents, it would take more like a 5-6 deg. descent to keep the speed right at barber pole with idle thrust, and there's no way I'd feel comfortable doing that. I know I've done a 5 deg. descent before (not intentionally) and still had to bump some power in to keep the thing sped up.

One thing's for sure, as pathetic as this airplane is at climbing, it sure does descend well. Nice to know if you're ever left up high and need to get down.

One thing's for sure, as pathetic as this airplane is at climbing, it sure does descend well. Nice to know if you're ever left up high and need to get down.[/quote]

:DNot on the 700! We climb like a "Raped Ape!!" Gotta love that 12-15 degrees nose up action!

Is this the 50 or 70 and How light were you? I don't think it was meant as an all the time procedure. All the 4 degree descents in the 50 I've done lately havn't reduced my airspeed at flight idle power, but they were 14, 16, or 18K changes in altitude. Of couse you can't pull the power to idle on all four degree descents and expect to hold your speed. A 3 or 4 thousand foot descent at 4 degrees is only 1500 to 1800 fpm.

GO AROUND said:
Is this the 50 or 70 and How light were you? I don't think it was meant as an all the time procedure. All the 4 degree descents in the 50 I've done lately havn't reduced my airspeed at flight idle power, but they were 14, 16, or 18K changes in altitude. Of couse you can't pull the power to idle on all four degree descents and expect to hold your speed. A 3 or 4 thousand foot descent at 4 degrees is only 1500 to 1800 fpm.

My example was in the 70. Descending out of FL370 for some lower altitude which I can't remember exactly. The new POH change states to do this descent at flight idle, however you cannot maintain your airspeed while continually adjusting for a 4 degree path. We went from Mach .82 initially to 280 knots when we reached our crossing restriction in the "teens".

i listened to a lear get it's clearance from jax approach to atlanta and you shoulda heard the dejected sound in his voice when he couldn't take off for another 90 minutes...

Don't get to see .82 much in the 50. It's all relative, I use it when it works.

Latest resources

Back