ATC yelled at me today....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dhc8fo

So I was about 13 minutes from my destination and still at 15,000. When I asked for lower, they descended me to 2,000. I was cleared for the visual at 5,000' over my homefield and so I made a right descending 360 degree turn to enter the 45 at traffic pattern altitude.

I had gotten the frequency change and everything, but I hadn't cancelled yet. I monitor approach when I switch to unicom so I can listen for anything weird and I hear the guy yelling at me that I am flying away from the airport and that my landing clearance is cancelled and I need to fly such-and-such heading..... HUH??? He was being a REAL tool too!

Did I do something wrong? Was I not cleared for a visual (in VMC) and cleared to switch to the unicom? Therefore, can't I do whatever the hell I want??

I switched back and told him to cancel my IFR and basically ignored his rant, but I just gotta know... DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG that I don't realize?

Please put my mind at ease...or tell me I am wrong and I will hit the books.

Oh my God! You don't know about that rule. How did you get your license???

dhc8fo said:
I had gotten the frequency change and everything, but I hadn't cancelled yet. I monitor approach when I switch to unicom so I can listen for anything weird and I hear the guy yelling at me that I am flying away from the airport and that my landing clearance is cancelled...

Perhaps I am missing something, but from the information you have provided it appears that you were flying into a non-towered airport. If that was the case, then how was there a "landing clearance" to be cancelled in the first place?

SkyBoy1981 said:
Perhaps I am missing something, but from the information you have provided it appears that you were flying into a non-towered airport. If that was the case, then how was there a "landing clearance" to be cancelled in the first place?
im ASSuming he meant approach clearance cancelled.

he probably wanted you to cancel ifr....hint hint hint hint hint....

The AIM states that you should make a "normal" approach to the airport when cleared visual. Maybe the 360 took him by surprise or threw a monkey wrench in his plans.

BTW- how would doing a 360 make you any more aligned to enter on a 45 to downwind??? :confused: :nuts:

He didn't expect the 360 and in a panic thought you were going somewhere else. He didn't realize that you were doing a 360, his screen just showed a heading that didn't add up in his head. I don't know how many miles you get on a visual but he probably thought where is he going and what traffic do i have out there in a panic. Then he vented on you. If you had told him you were going to do a 360 he probably wouldn't have cared. You didn't do anything wrong as far as I can see. What were you flying? If it was a DC-8 or any other jet at 200KIAS, you can cover some ground.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back