ATC question: Denying a clearance because of DP req's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GIVDrvr said:
If recheck the initial post this is a situation were a radar facility is issuing a clearance at a non towered airport through an RCO on the field.

Yep; I saw that. Doesn't change my response, though.

C

Last edited:
GIVDrvr said:
Corona if ATC needs to you to fly a certain DP in order that non radar separation be provided at the time of release and you cant comply you will sit on the ground and when you have exceeded 15 minutes of delay you will recorded as having been officially delayed and the reason recorded in the traffic management log will be 'pilots inability to comply with DP required for separation'. And that will be that.
The real question here is what if any alternative can be arranged? Mull that one and I'll chime back in later my beer is getting warm.

This is good info; didn't know about the delay report. However, it still doesn't change the fact we are on the ground trying to get into the air, so we are still stuck with the original problem.

If as Vector4Fun says, the controller was simply too busy, well, that's fine with me. Delays happen. But ATC needs to be honest about that. For a Pt. 91 operator, though, all you need is to be able to get into radar coverage or navigate to a published route. If you are bold, you can slog through the WX to get there without either, as long as you have clearance. I'm not bold, however.

The alternative you mention was rather the point I was trying to make, though I didn't do it too well. The easiest, and most likely what ATC was looking for, was some type of RNAV system, GPS or otherwise. In my experience, ATC pretty much assumes you have such a system if you are flying anything other than light singles.

This airplane didn't have any RNAV, so we are still stuck with the original problem.

Cheers,

C

Be careful!

Immelman said:
I think the story would have been different, and Vector4fun's explanation seems to confirm that... from reading the AIM and others' posts above I think that a DP is not a requirement.

Immelman-

This is a bit off topic but I feel it is an important point:

Please don't forget that the reason an obstacle DP exists is because there is something on the departure path that can kill you. That is the sole reason for the existence of an obstacle DP. If you chose not to treat the DP as a requirement, then the consequences can be fatal. The C-130 crash in Jackson Hole is a perfect example.

My .02 only.

Beertini

Denying a clearance because of DP? What about DVDA?

Latest resources

Back