• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATC or Regional

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do the ATC route. You'll be able to afford your own airplane, and fly for fun.

I agree with mamba20 if I do love flying, and always have chased that dream of the airline job. I sure hope things get better for you guys out there on the line, it's tough reading about how bad things can get. I guess I may be finding out for myself here in the near future.

I would definately go the ATC route. After 15 years in the regional industry, I wish I would have gone that route. I have always been impressed with the ATC guys/gals when I had the chance to get a tour. They really seem to love their job. Oh sure, it has its good points and bad points, just like any other career. But overall, the biggest difference is lifestyle and job security. The airlines are so unstable right now, with no end in site. The possibility of moving to a major is growing slimmer by the day, and with all of the cost cutting and concessions the various pilot groups are taking, we'll all be working for Wal-Mart wages soon. Like other posters said above, if you like spending at least half the month on the road, eating lousy food all trhe time, having you're sleep cycles contantly disrupted and never being able to plan any family events due to airline-type monthly schedule bidding, then go fly. But if you want a "normal" life with job security, good wages, and decent health insurance and retirement, do the ATC thing. Really, its just a matter of what you want out of life. Good luck with your decision!

mamba20 said:
Sat, I am at an airline becuase I love to fly. True, I might be chasing a dream but I think I might be the only optimist left who thinks things will actually get better.

going to the airlines because "you love to fly" is like going to Greyhound because you love to drive

on the other hand, getting a job that allows you to buy a corvette convertible or Harley which you drive on a sunny weekend thru the country is something else, because you love to drive

enought with the "I went airlines because I love to fly" horsesh1t. People go airlines because they want that 200K a year job as a Capt flying 777's to Europe, with young FA's to spend time on the road with. Oh yeah, working 8 days a month or similar. When you retire you will get that multi-million dollar pension. Basically everything Kit Darby promised you as you walked with him to the 2005 slaughterhouse called the airline industry.

As you stand in line at the slaughterhouse, let me point some things out.

The reality of 2005 is that "young FA's" dont exist anymore, the only people driving 777's as Capt are in the top of the top Sen List at UAL, AMR, or CAL, and those "8 days a month" (seen by above said Captains by the way) do not take into consideration crash pad time, commute time, come-back-home time, etc. Oh yeah, pensions are gone or are going to be gone.

Is that Lima Charlie? PENSIONS ARE GONE or GOING TO BE GONE. And thats why we all work isn't it? So we can retire? Note SWA and JBLU have 401(k)s, which is dependent upon the stock market for performance (so does the rest of corporate america...). Again, the "classic" pensions are GONE or GOING TO BE GONE.

FORGET the airline career (original poster's position "in life"), go ATC or go to FAA Flight Inspection or Customs or somewhere that has a stable check and you will still be exposed to aviation.

later

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back