Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

McNugent

Whatever...
I was recently hired conditionally at ASA pending fingerprints etc... On top of that I may have an opportunity in ATC in the comming months. I'm currently sweating it out as a CFI and have always wanted that airline job, but ATC is so stable and such good money. I never thought both opportunities would happen at the same time. Any thoughts on what to do?

It's refreshing when someone answers their own question.

ATC offers better pay, benefits, security & QOL.
You don't spend more than 1/2 the month in crappy hotels.

Probably the only wildcard is ATC privatization.

You also have very little choice in where you will live in ATC. You pick a region, and you could be placed anywhere within that region.

I don't know about you, but I can't stand sitting behind a desk for more than a few months before I just HAVE to go fly again. I've done it several times to no avail.... always have to get back to full-time flying.

Advice

McNugent said:
I was recently hired conditionally at ASA pending fingerprints etc... On top of that I may have an opportunity in ATC in the comming months. I'm currently sweating it out as a CFI and have always wanted that airline job, but ATC is so stable and such good money. I never thought both opportunities would happen at the same time. Any thoughts on what to do?

I would follow through with ASA, but DON'T close the door on the ATC position. If the FAA calls you while at ASA I would resign from the regional. You can still fly part-time for a smaller operator. I have an ATC friend that flies a King Air part time.
Like you said its stable, great pay and benefits, pension, retirement program, great work rules, and several days off available. Its true they can send you any where in the country. But, you can always bid to another ATC facility.

But, if you want to fly full-time for an airline then go for it...

good luck

Sitting in a dark room or in a tower would get old VERY fast, no thanks. Do what you love to do,

go ATC and buy your own airplane, you will be making 100K+ a year

contrary to popular belief, nobody goes airlines because "they love to fly", they are chasing that golden dream which is dying quickly

if you love to fly, buy your own plane. If you love being away from the wife and kids, sleeping on nasty hotel pillows, and dining on airline cabin food, then go airlines

Sat, I am at an airline becuase I love to fly. True, I might be chasing a dream but I think I might be the only optimist left who thinks things will actually get better.

SatPak nailed it. No question...ATC!

Much more money and you start out making great money compared to struggling through regional airline pay.

ATC would pay you enough to buy an airplane. My best friend is a controller and makes dang good money. Initially, he was sent to NYC center - he hated NY but was able to get ATL (where he wanted) in only 4 or 5 years. He makes 3 times the money I make and he has been making it from the start. He now own 2 nice homes (one on the beach) - the dream I am chasing on my regional paycheck.

Latest resources

Back