• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATC expected descent rate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It would be nice to hear from a controller on this. We pilots do have to guess what the controller wants in most cases. This, however, is part of what makes a good pilot. Pay attention to your surroundings. If you're descending over the Plains into Kansas from FL400, the expected descent rate may be a bit different than if you were descending into JFK, with tons of radio chatter, TCAS screen alive and chirping, weather deviations, etc. In the latter case, I think it prudent to dial in more than 500fpm!
Are there any controllers to offer guidance?
I remember during the prop days as an FO, we were descending into PHL from the west. My captain ALWAYS used 500fpm to gain some airspeed. One day, the controller asked for our descent rate. I replied "500fpm," while my cheeks burned red as I prepared for the controller's bark. Sure enough, he said to increase our descent rate, followed by "have you ever flown into PHL before?!!?"
The argument could be made that 500fpm WAS optimum for our aircraft, as it saved fuel and added airspeed, but we are also expected to use common sense.

Can any controllers please tell me what the decent rates given in 7110.65R are for. For example, it cites that a Boeing 737's decent rate is 3500 fpm. Does this mean that ATC views this as the maximum rate of descent.

Just on a side bar, it also lists the climb for the 737 at 5500 fpm.

How do they determine these numbers?

Whoa! That says the mighty Citation 550 (II) will climb at 5300 fpm. I don't think I have ever gone up that fast and there have been some days where it has been extremely cold and we have been really light. Makes me wonder where these numbers have come from.

Whoa! That says the mighty Citation 550 (II) will climb at 5300 fpm. I don't think I have ever gone up that fast and there have been some days where it has been extremely cold and we have been really light. Makes me wonder where these numbers have come from.

Yea it says the Dash is 1500fpm in a descent. HA!

And here I thought all of your aviation wisdom had been gained driving the low lead truck to the bulk plant. Let the pilots talk about pilot stuff...you should be on the board about which cleaner works the best for getting bugs and bird sh!t off the airplanes.

Before any of you get all fired up, I fueled for almost 8 years before I flew for money...and I know now like I knew then that I didn't know SH!T about doing the pilots' jobs then.

Hey, Bill...are they still making everyone suffer through 8 hours of videos yearly about how fuel is to be filtered/measured/pumped/maintained/whatever?

Latest resources

Back