• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATC expected descent rate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
atLEAST 1500fpm, but 2k or greater is ideal. The guys that give a 500fpm descents off the bat, and then when atc asks to increase rate of descent they go up to 7-800fpm ruin it for everyone else often, and make the controller issue blanket descent rates since the guy earlier in the day burned him or really increased his workload.

In my opinion, only time you should be descending at less than 1500fpm (2000fpm ideally) is one of three things: descending with PD, meeting a restriction, or about to level.

Bill,
Are you basing the 1500fpm on personal experience or do you have an actual reference to support it?

The only thing I've found in writing (AIM), says you should notify ATC if you are unable to climb or descend at least 500fpm. If ATC is expecting something else, they should publish it so we know what they expect. Not make us guess from day to day.

Bill, how long did you spend filling out the aircraft flown section? Really all that is pertinent is what you are currently flying.

I did not pass the reading comprehension test!

Yes, you figured me out.

climb/descend

whew...this post sure got everyone spooled up. Group hug boys, the keg is tapped, help yourself.

We were at FL340 and told to descend to FL330. I spun in VS -500 and the brand new FO was quick to chime in...."ATC wants at least 1000 FPM". I couldn't help but chuckle to myself as I continued with my 500 FPM descent.

Latest resources

Back