• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATA-RJs???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the only problem with the Q400 is that it is a very large aircraft and requires alot of real estate which everybody knows MDW does not have, especially at the south ramp

Got me!

You're right, I forgot how much ramp space the big Dash takes up. Is the SF-2000 that much smaller ramp-wise? Has there been any scale models floating around with little paper Saab's on them?

Saab 2000

Length 90'
Span 82'
Max Cruise Speed 370k
Max Alt FL 310

DHC-8 400

Length 108'
Span 93'
Max Cruise Speed 330k
Max Alt FL 250

I think the reasoning behind the 2000 is the ability to get 300 to 500nm out and back in one standard hub turn. C8 could then pick up off peak flying to PIT, DCA or MSP. The 2000's speed and high cruising altitude make this possible. I can't imagine Chicago Express needing or wanting a 72 seat aircraft that won't fit on the south ramp at MDW. The Dash-8 300, which is a 50 seat aircraft, has a max cruise speed of only 270k.

I worry about C8 getting an orphaned aircraft with limited support (having flown the ultimate orphan aircraft, the BAe ATP), but supposedly Saab has acquired all the parts for the 2000 and is promising one day service on all requests. Or so I've heard around the food court.

Hi!

It's Monica Belluci, who you can read about in my signature. There's a website address to a site that voted her the most beautiful female in the universe last year.

I first saw her in the movie "Maleena" a few years ago. The pix is from "Brotherhood of the Wolf". She's been in that movie with Bruce Willis where she's a doctor in Africa he rescues, and she was in at least one of the Matrix movies.

Most of her great movies are European. She was a model, and then moved to acting. She is SCORCHING hot!!! I've tried to fight it, but she just takes over my body, and I lose control. It's like trying to read one of "Stillaboo's" posts, instead of being mezmerized by the swaying. Sometimes I'll read a thread just because Stillaboo has posted and I want to look at his avatar again.

Cliff
ELP

The Saab 2000 while being a great aircraft performance wise, would be a REALLY stupid move at this point in it's life... Absolutely NO customer support on this product both for training and most importantly parts. Of course it wouldn't be the first time an airline did something REALLY stupid. ;) The only North American customer that ever was, General Motors, only operated three, which by the way have been for sale forever. The main operator was Cross Air. ie... in EUROPE. It's ALWAYS better to have an airplane that has a home. (in production.)

I understand that the 2000 currently does not habe any customers in the US but SAAB will probably cut them a deal for parts and service.

weight factors into equation

As I understand things the RJ's took a back seat when the new pax weights took effect. The new weights put operational limits on the RJ's -- thus it is very hard to justify the cost of such a machine. The Saab 2000's are probably going to be cheap up front (but more expensive eventually) and have good range/payload capability out of MDW which makes them the frontrunner.

As far as ATA is concerned, we don't have too many aircraft, rather a shortage of pilots on the line at the moment ;) .

Only time will tell what is going to happen.

Well the newest rumor of this past week at C8 is that their will be an announcement coming soon about 25 aircraft, again a rumor! No one is saying what aircraft, but it wont be a jet. It is between the Q400 and the saab 2000. The Q400 is just to big for parking at the south ramp, where we are parked now. Plus, that would be a huge pax jump from our current 32 to 70 pax. What is being said is that part of the package through saab is that it will be a swap from our current leases on the 340 to the 2000. Crossair is parking I beleive 30 of their 36 aircraft. Which means Saab has way to many cost to let this aircraft sit and not be flown. Also I heard that they want Saab to pay for the initial training cost. Again all rumors. There is a Saab 2000 simulator at flight safety in Vero Beach, and then somewere in Europe, again they would just move the sim to a flight safety either on our route structure (Toledo), or mainline city (Orlando). The talks and rumors have been flying a lot. But these are the same rumors that been going for the past 5+ years about RJs. When were calling gear up on a revenue flight then its a reality.
Anthony

BTW-NJCapt, How can bankrupt companies afford to finance numerous RJs then?!? We shouldn't have this problem, its just a matter of ATA wanting to make the right plane choice.

I have not heard that we were going to get 25. The rumor that was going around a couple weks ago was that we were going through an even trade which would be 17 aircraft. I did hear that they want SAAB to pay for the training and probably move the sim to TOL.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back