Ata Going Backwards

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetdawg

I Just Had My P.c. And The Check Airmen (who Runs Allot Of The 737 Trng.) Had Said That Ata Is Renting Out Allot Of The 737-300 Sim Time Next Month. Do Any Of The Ata Guys Know Anything About This. He Said He Heard You Were Getting Rid Of Some Of The 800's And Getting A Few 300's

Also Read About A Strike Vote Getting Talked About. What Is The Future Looking Like For You Guys Over There.

Yes, we are getting some 737-300's. They are replacing some -800's that we had to give back to creditors.

We are also in negoitations to get some -700s from CAL in exchange for the rest of our 757-300s. Rumors have it we might also be getting some -700s from Aloha that they don't want, and we are negotiating for a couple of 767s.

But, with this mangament team, who knows. They're aren't doing much to promote this airline to anyone other than SWA management. We've put all of our eggs into this codeshare, and I'm afraid it ain't enough to save the airline.

Strike vote taken. 1113(c) motion filed. Co. and ALPA are talking. Moral is low. IND is running short of gas, gas cans and matches. ;) (I hope I don't have to explain this to anyone.)

HalinTexas said:
We are also in negoitations to get some -700s from CAL in exchange for the rest of our 757-300s.

I just did my MV/LOE and the lead check airman said this rumor is false. The rumor about getting the rest of the 757's is still generating smoke.

Who knows.

The B757 swap was disiminated company wide through the CP's office.

Co. rules preclude pasting that info here. It was also told to the union in a Co./ALPA ops meeting.
On the 757 side, all 757-300s are eventually scheduled to be swapped for
737-700s. Some variation or mix of swapping for 757-200s could also occur.
The next transactions are scheduled for 9/3 and 10/14. Current planning
suggests that we will operate fewer 757s.

The 737-700 configuration will originally have First Class seating similar
the same as our current 737-800 configuration (12 and 112) but all aircraft
will eventually be converted to all economy class. The L1011 fleet plan
remains unchanged.

The original December equipment schedule may fall short by 5 aircraft. A
total of 50 aircraft are scheduled to be on the property by the end of
August 2006.

HalinTexas said:
The B757 swap was disiminated company wide through the CP's office.

Co. rules preclude pasting that info here. It was also told to the union in a Co./ALPA ops meeting.

Maybe it is a swap through Boeing with other airframes that are not our 700's. I'm not sure. To be blunt, I really wouldn't be trusting your management right about now with anything they diseminate.

In either case it is a tough situation for you guys at ATA. I was hoping to see more of you guys in our new hire classes.

The quote I gave was from our union. Sorry, if I didn't make that clear.

This may all be a moot point, however, ALPA-ATA is authorizing a strike vote. The Co. is insisting that they need ALL of their requirments in the 1113(c) filing. It's a five year deal. I wish I had time to find it. The judge said this week he will accept or reject it in its entirety, and he would not put the Co. in jeapardy of liquidation. So, which do you think he will do?

My bet: A TA is reached by the Neg. Com. It's rejected by the membership. Judge Lorch accepts the filing. We threaten strike, picket, negotiate some more, maybe even strike for a day or two. Any longer than that and it's buh-bye.

No one trusts management at ATA. Denison had his chance and has blown it. He's let the underlings run the show as long as they don't spend more "beans" than he's authorized. He has no vested interest in the long term survival of ATA. If we liquidate, he still gets paid, goes back home and continues with his retirement. The CP's office is deep in denial and corporate politics; they aren't trusted either.

This all hinges on the TA reached in the next week or two. The success of the TA hinges on contract duration, work rules, retirement, and variable compensation options.

Let me be clear. I've hit bottom. Any more cuts in compensation make this occupation untenable. The only two other options for me are Fedex and SWA. I've been rejected by SWA recently, so that one's out, and I don't know anyone at Fedex. I can't afford to start over at another carrier. If the contract were not touched, I'd be making $164/hr as a B737 CA. After all the freezes, concessions (2 of them) and displacments, I now make $72/hr. I can make more money selling SUV's right now. My wife has 22 years invested in ATA, and she's "over it" herself. I'm making less now than I did two years ago as an FO. I've budgeted my life based on that income ($78/hr until 7/1/03). Starting over at $40k/yr 1st year, then $60/yr 2nd eats too far into my savings cushion. I'm not even gonna mention outside, personal life issues than effect my cash flow.

I don't trust ALPA, national or local. I don't trust management, nor do I believe they need as much as they're asking, if they were trying to make money, which they aren't. So, I'm stuck in the middle.

I know it's a game. An expensive one. Who's gonna blink first?

Last edited:
Hal,

A well written post and I agree with 100%. It might be time to put this animal down for it's own good.

See you out there!

RV

Do you have the url handy for the bankruptcy proceedings/records? I had it but I don't remember where I found it. I checked ATA's web site and no linkie.

Good post Hal. The first steps forward after a clamity like this is done with your eyes wide open. Obviously you have a very clear and objective view of what is going on.

You are also right about ALPA. They will drop you like a used kleenex when their interests are no longer served. There is no such thing as loyalty within ALPA.

I hope everything works out for all of you at ATA

Latest resources

Back