ATA Class Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HarleyGuy

I would really appreciate some insight from you ATA guys out there. I'm a BIG-time ATA wannabee, and just got called for an interview this morning. While I couldn't be more excited, I'm noticing that most posts from hired guys say they got classes soon after the interview, sometimes very soon. I'm still Active Duty Air Force, and can't get out before sometime around november. Maybe a bit sooner, maybe a bit later, depending on some paperwork. ATA should know this, as I put 28 Nov as my available date on my resume. Do they hire with a class date several months away? Or might my inability to accept a class a month later prevent me from getting hired? Any thoughts?

Anybody else interviewing 22 July?

PS: mailed in my resume in january with no LOR, got an app in feb, filled it out by hand VERY carefully, mailed it feb 16, got called 01 july for a 22 july interview (could have interviewed as soon as 09 july, but I'm gonna be on the road).

Hello!

I am in my second day here at ATA (IND) ground school and we have an active Navy man who is on terminal leave in class with us. Take the interview, and be honest with them about your situation! There are amazing people at this company and if they want you to interview, they want to hire you! (Do not hesitate at this kind of opportunity...)

Fly safe,

MyStockSux

P.S. My entire class can't believe we are all here!

Thanks for the reply. Couple questions: how many of your interview group got hired? And any word on plane & base for your class?

HG

Yep!

It was about 50/50 for almost everyone in the class. They want to hire people who are honest with great attitudes and know how to fly (GET THE SIM PREP!!!).

Good night!

-MSS

Oh yeah, all of us are based in MDW and out of 14, 3 got the 757 and the rest of us are in the 737.

Harley Guy -

I wouldn't worry a bit. In my interview they told us about several people in situations such as yours, and it was no problem at all. As the last poster mentioned, if you've got the interview, they already want to hire you.

Just be up front (about the availability date AND your strong desire to work here). You can rest assured they are well ware of your seperation date from the app.

You're more than halfway home - Good Luck !!

The Zipper

My brother in law was in kind of the same boat as you describe. He got "stop-lossed" (I think that is the correct term) right after 9-11, he had already interviewed and been offered a class date here of October 01. He got stuck in the USAF until like April or May of 02, I think it was. ATA was still wanting him for class then. He was honest about it, you should be too, if you are interviewing it is because they want you, they will do what the must to have you. That came out weird.

Does anybody knows when the next ATA class date is going to be?
I got the good news last week!!

Congrats! Did you get the acceptance letter - is that the good news? Any idea which aircraft they will put you on - any indications?

In the last base bid, approx. class start dates for the 737 Captain vacancies were listed as 7/25, 8/6, 8/20, and 9/3. For the 757, the approx. start dates were 8/11 and 9/3.

Just my guess, but newhire FOs could be paired with the Captain upgrades. In that case, the newhires could expect to start a week or so earlier than the Captains to complete Basic Indoc before beginning aircraft specific training.

Good Luck

Thanks for the great replies! You all have really put my mind at ease. One other question: the gouge indicates that guys are taking LOR's in with them. Are you supposed to? I don't have a LOR from an ATA person, but I'd hate to go in empty handed. Should I get a letter from a non-ATA person? I've got plenty of those, but if ATA wanted them you'd think they'd ask for them.

Thanks again. I've got my fingers crossed, and good luck to all you other interviewees out there!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back