ATA ceases all MDW service

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ATA For Now!

What a shame. It was really a great place to work for a long time.

Good Luck all....

To: All Employees
Date: March 6, 2008
As you know, we have continually looked for cost savings and synergies throughout our
company to return to profitability, but we now must take a larger step.
We are announcing today that we are ceasing our scheduled service operation between
Midway and Dallas/Ft. Worth, Oakland, Cancun and Guadalajara. This will occur in two
stages, with the domestic flights ending on April 14 and the international flights ceasing
on June 7. These dates keep us in compliance with government regulations, which
require longer notification times for international service.
This was a difficult decision for us and one we have been wrestling with for some time,
but in the face of the unprecedented rise in fuel costs for which fares have not kept pace,
we simply could not operate this service at a profit.
I want you to know that your outstanding performance in maintaining our reliability and
customer loyalty has been a significant reason we have been able to stay in the fight this
long. I am proud of the professional effort everyone has put forth in the face of much
uncertainty and change over the past few years. Each affected employee will receive
details about what this transition will mean individually, and you’re welcome to contact
your managers if you have additional questions. In addition, we will compile the most
asked questions and be sure to get that information back out to you.
I share your disappointment, which is understandable and expected. But I ask everyone to
continue to perform for our customers in these markets, safely and to the best of our
ability through the coming months until we complete each and every flight. We have a
great team of managers and employees who have kept serving our customers well despite
the changes we have been through, and your professional efforts are needed and very
much appreciated.
What do we do next? We will place the two aircraft that are used for this scheduled
service flying into charter service, either commercially or for the military. We’re
optimistic that opportunities are out there and we’re doing everything we can to capitalize
on them, which will keep our aircraft flying and improve our profit outlook.
Thanks for everything you do. I’ll be back in touch soon.

Hey-

How did you get those airbus ratings so quick?
By the way do ya know a good place to grab some wine in Indy?

Bla BLa Bla it is not the fuel prices, it's inept managment

[email protected]

For Immediate Release

ATA AIRLINES TO DISCONTINUE SCHEDULED SERVICE
AT CHICAGO’S MIDWAY AIRPORT

Will Redeploy Aircraft into Charter Market

INDIANAPOLIS (March 6, 2008) – ATA Airlines today announced that it will discontinue domestic scheduled service at Midway Airport effective April 14, 2008, and international service will cease effective June 7, 2008. The affected ATA domestic markets include Oakland, Calif., and Dallas/Ft. Worth, and the international routes include Cancun and Guadalajara, Mexico. Flights between the West Coast and Hawaii destinations are not affected.
“ATA has operated a Midway hub since 1992, and we have greatly appreciated the support we received from the City of Chicago and our many customers during those years,” said Rob Binns, Chief Commercial and Planning Officer. “This was a difficult decision, but the high cost of fuel has made it economically unfeasible to continue our low-fare service at Midway. We will redeploy our ATA aircraft in profitable charter service."
All customers currently booked on discontinued ATA flights will receive refunds for the unused portions of their reservations. For questions, contact ATA at 800-435-9282 or visit the website, www.ata.com.
In its 35th year of operations, ATA is a subsidiary of Global Aero Logistics Inc.

The public and employees are being tricked into thinking it is the fault of fuel prices. In reality all airlines buy gas, so it is up to management to manage that expense, and manage revenue as well.
What they won't tell you is that others can manage better. so we suck and you will lose your job. SORRY.
"we have greatly appreciated the support we received from the City of Chicago and our many customers during those years" we sure appreciate your hard work. BLA BLA BLA>

Hopefully no more furloughs. Will the planes be used in overseas charters, Hawaii, etc? Best of luck to yall.

ATAFAN - Not anymore.

It was a great place to work with some great people but managed by circus clowns.

I apologize to circus clowns.

What a joke!

That's a bummer, good luck to the MDW folks. Do we ever get any GOOD news in this industry?

That really sucks. Makes me wonder, though...

In an asset sale, if you downsize your airline to near-nothing, furlough most of your employees, then a few months later sell those assets to someone, would that not get around the clause that requires them to transfer the pilots with a "major asset sale"?

Methinks there's more to this than meets the eye... Maybe I'm just paranoid.

To: All Employees
Date: March 6, 2008
As you know, we have continually looked for cost savings and synergies throughout our
company to return to profitability, but we now must take a larger step.

my 1st rule as an airline employee: never trust anyone who uses the word 'synergy' or any derviative of the word.

Latest resources

Back