Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATA73Pilot said:
It's a "Meet-& -Greet".

Shake hands, smile, talk about why you want to work for AirTran, hand over a resume, try to make a favorable impression, and step aside for the next guy in line.

If you are fortunate they will overlook the fact that you are only interested in applying because your airline failed...any port in the storm....and give you a call for an interview in the near future.

Good Luck! (Seriously).
I don't think the "I'm applying because I may be furloughed" will hurt you as much as you think. Especially if you are still employed when applying and interviewing. There are lots of reasonable explanations if they ask you.

"I just made Captain and I wanted more PIC time"
"I live near Chicago and wanted to give ATA a chance"
"I was hoping to make Captain before thinking about leaving"
"My best friend got me the interview at ATA and I didn't want to let them down"

By all means put the best spin on YOUR attitude and reason for wanting to work at Airtran. Don't say "any port in the storm" even if you feel that is what the recruiter/interviewer is thinking. Show them Airtran means much more to you and you may change their mind.

Study Airtran and their operation, build up some genuine enthusiasm (try to limit thoughts about how much it sucks to start at the bottom again) and focus on the positive. Everybody loves a genuine positive attitude. And you may have a more pleasant day as well. :)

Take it for what it's worth....I'm a recovering pessimist myself.

Last edited:
Possible stupid question:

What do we wear to this thing?

At first, I thought I'd wear my regular interview suit. Now, I keep hearing how "informal" it is and "its just a quick meet and greet." I don't want to be the only guy standing in line wearing a full suit if everyone else is wearing business casual, or their uniform. I've considered my leopard skin thong, but I'm too fat for it now. Our crew meals were just that good.

Any ideas?

propjob27 said:

At first, I thought I'd wear my regular interview suit. Now, I keep hearing how "informal" it is and "its just a quick meet and greet." I don't want to be the only guy standing in line wearing a full suit if everyone else is wearing business casual, or their uniform. I've considered my leopard skin thong, but I'm too fat for it now. Our crew meals were just that good.

Any ideas?

Gee, don't wear your blue suit, because I'm going to wear my blue suit, and won't we look silly if we show up wearing the same thing.

Sounds like two FAs discussing their going out for the night plans.

Seriously, I'm going casual. Don't care what anyone else wears. I just got back from a five day trip, and really don't feel like going back to Chicago. However, I realize I must take advantage of any and every opportunity, if I'm really serious about continuing in this profession. Anyway, I'm going to take the redeye in, catch a nap at my crashpad, and then go do the meet 'n greet. Then I'll catch the evening flight back to LAX. Eight or nine hours in the back of an airplane for a 5 minute meet 'n greet. Sure hope it's worth it. Well, at least it will be for my peace of mind.

Last edited:
We have hired a number of ATA guys over the last three years, if you know one of them, I would have him write you a recommendation letter to attach to your resume- just a little nice touch that would probably be worth the time. Plus, they can give you the scoop on working here, schedules, upgrade, work rules, etc.

If you know someone here, but can't find them, PM me and I'll try to put you in touch.;)

Last edited:
propjob27 said:

Any ideas?
Well, I'm gonna be wearing my stylish new three button black suit (first suit purchase since I bought my trusty blue 'interview' suit pre-United interview in 1995).

I hope somebody doesn't try to give me their car keys outside.

If I go to this, it will be in my uniform. Since nobody bothered to tell us until the last minute, I'm in the middle of a trip. I forgot to pack my tux.

I have a three hour sit in MDW so the blue suit will be my uniform, actually I'll have my leather jacket. A buddy of mine at Airtran sent my resume in with a LOR back in September so this should be an update for my resume.

Crew meals that good huh? How about those nice and slimy turkey sandwiches!!

If you are fortunate they will overlook the fact that you are only interested in applying because your airline failed...any port in the storm....and give you a call for an interview in the near future.
We hired a bunch of furloghees. I think your loyalty to ATA and your wiliingness to stay until the end goes further than you think. I simply said, "I enjoyed my time at TWA and wanted to see things through, but I knew if we didn't make it Airtran would be the first place that I would apply."

I got the job, and I hope to see as many ATA pilots here as would like to be here.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back