ATA Application

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

727PAA

For the folks that have done this already.

1. Did you type the application?
2. Did you fit your response for the essays onto the app. or include extra pages?
3. Did you include your recommendation letters with the completed application.
4. How long after receipt did you send it off?

Thanks alot.

I want this soooo to work.

Hand wrote my app very nicely and did the essay questions on computer. Printed out the answers and attached them to app. I kept my essay answers concise and to the point. Kept all the answers to the two pages they allow on the app.

Sent my app within 2 weeks of getting it.

Letter of Rec just gets you the app faster. If you get an interview just bring the letter of rec with you then. In my case, I got hired with no letter of recs.

I neatly hand wrote the application. I fit all my answers in the space provided underneath ea. essay question. I kept my answers to the point but made sure that I answered all parts of ea. question. We were told in indoc that they don't care whether an app is handwritten or not as long as it is legible, otherwise it gets thrown out. Beech1900kid is correct about the rec letters.

I sent it back overnight USPS Express Mail. I had it in my possession for 2 weeks before mailing it. I sent it USPS Express Mail because they sort most of it in IND so I know it's going to be flown there anyway. It was around $13 bucks to ship it that way.

Good Luck!!

M 0
ATA 737 F/O

1. I typed everything to make it look professional.
2. All responses fit in to given lines.
3. No rec letters attached to app
4. I waited 2.5 months to send it in and got an interview call exactlly 6 weeks after mailing it in.

Unknown if I'll be hired.

I hand wrote my application, neatly of course. The application actually gives instructions on how to fill it out; strongly suggest you read it & then follow it. Many people have typed their answers which is OK, but you don't have to. ATA is not a paperless cockpit and like most airlines, they require a lot of report/logbook writing, so they like to see what your handwriting is like. The main thing is is it should be legible and the answers fit within the spaces provided. They should also be succint, keep in mind that it's not always what you do but HOW you do it.

You don't need any recommendation letters or references to be sent with it - that's for the interview. Depending on your schedule and how good you are at filling in applications, you want to take some time in completing this one. I took a full week to do mine but you don't want to hang on to it for more than two weeks.

Sent mine certified mail which is cheaper than the express (& doesn't make you get an interview any quicker!) and got a signed receipt back some two weeks later.

As for interview, that's the crap shoot; heard some have got it after 6 weeks, others 4 months, and some even have been waiting a year or more! I've been waiting almost 4 months now.

Finally, if you want to follow up, whatever you do, DON"T call them!! That = kiss of death. Get your LOR to do it for you. That's how the system is set up. Best of luck.

757driver

Essay questions??? I don't think i've ever heard of an essay question on an airline application. What kind of questions are they?

I typed mine but sure wish I had handwritten it. The paper was very flimsy and the typewriter over time started to tear it in a number ob places--needless to say I think it looked crappy. I would take your time and hand write it neatly.

Poeky

Here they are:
List your proudest accomplishements while employed and explain why.
Describe a situation where you did your best and did not achieve your goal(s).
Describe the highest-pressure situation you have dealt with in recent years. How did you cope with it?
Explain the most difficult communication problem you have ever experienced and what you did about it.
Give an example of an idea you presented that received strong opposition. How did you react? Why?
What was the greatest obstacle you experienced in reaching this point in your career? How did you overcome it?
Describe your skills in perceiving and reacting to the needs of others in a cockpit environment.
What existing conditions at your present job are most frustrating? Why?
Explain why you are interested in working for ATA.

And also on a similar theme they ask:
Typical reasons why professionals change jobs are listed below. List in order of priority those most important to you in evaluating a new position. (and they give you room to list four).

Have a go at answering them.... they're harder than they look!
Good luck to all.
Herewegoagain.

They Like to see handwritten apps, especially if they can read it from what I was told, since you do alot of writing in the cockpit...

You don't necessarily need a LOR...I turned in my app at AIR INC in may. and got the call last month (but had to postponed the interview)..I'm not sure if that was a smart move...

What a great thread for what I'm doing right now!!

I'm working on the app as we speak...in fact have spent the last several hours agonizing over the "essay" questions. Does anybody have any insight as to whether or not they want to see only cockpit-related stories in our answers or can we expand into other areas of our lives? For example, having a bugger of a time coming up with a cockpit-type answer for: "What was the greatest obstacle you experienced in reaching this point in your career? How did you overcome it?". It'd be great if some of you could throw out what approach you took when answering some of these questions. I've got a serious case of writer's block right now!!

For the record, one of the chief pilots at a recent conference emphasized the need to TYPE the application during his presentation (FWIW).

Latest resources

Back