ATA Application

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dirkdigler

I have just received an application form from ATA. I am seeking advise from those of you who have gone through their employment process. I really appreciate your responses. Thanks so much, in advance!

ATA App

You will get various answers to your question. Do I type it? Do I hand write it? Do I answer the essay questions with all aviation examples, some, or none? Ect, ect.

I can only speak from my own experience. I neatly wrote out the answers by hand, all except for the essay questions. Those I used MS Word and make sure to do spell/grammar check. Then, have someone else read them for you. You might find other errors that way. Spend lots of time on the essays. I believe that is a HUGE part of if you get called in or not to interview. As for answers, I personally used some aviation examples and some more personal examples. Don't be afraid to show them who you are (i.e. they already know that you are a pilot; show them who you are as a person). Remember, those essays are a part of your HR/Flt Ops interview.

Other than that, if your are called in for an interview, most of the hard work is done. When they say that they really want to hire you, believe it. They are a great bunch of folks there. Good luck! Getting an app is a good thing.

P.S. Try to get a LOR; they are worth their weight in gold.

ATA application.......I blew it!!!!!!!!!

Hello......................

Regarding the ATA application..............do not foul it up!!!!!!!!!

I received mine in early February, 2003. The next day I slipped on the ice and broke the little finger in my right hand. With my hand in a brace, unemployed and here is my #1 choice airline application, I was recommended by friends to fill it out and send it in immediately.

I did, and fouled it up badly.

I tried to print the essay answers out nice and neat, but was a poor performance with my hand brace and swollen finger.

My wife thought it was OK, so in the mail it went. I waited and waited for a reply, and then using a person on this forum and later one of my recommendation friends, found out recently the application was tossed out.

I was heart broken.

I am trying very hard to get another application from several recommendation friends and start all over, but, I was told it will never happen.

After I mailed the package, I was recommended to scan the application into a computer, and then fill out the essay questions on the word processor format, and of course use spell check.

I never got the rejection letter, sim ride, or interview!!!!!!! I blew it totally on my handwriting and the answers to the essay questions.

The lesson is be careful, cautious and use professional help with the application.

Anyone know where a 14,000 hour pilot with 8200 hours in heavy DC-8's can get a job????????

Best wishes to everybody on this forum and this very bad airline economy. Were going to need it.

9drvr
[email protected]

God Help Me

If 9drvr can't get a job with those hours, how will this 3700 turbineless frieght dog ever move on.

Man, this is depressing :(

Hey guys,

I am reading all this info on the application. Yes it is incredibly important but do you really think that you are that screwed because of a typo, not using the right font on the app, or by handwriting the application.

I would not be so quick to count yourselves out of the game by handwriting the app or typing it in the wrong font.

Remember it will always come down to seeing who you really are, and that any crewmember is willing to put up with your ass for those long flights.

Trust me, personality is key, the lack of flight experience I can live with. Any monkey can get the hang of a airplane over time! But dealing with the right personality during a malfunction is very importantant.

BOZ

Hey Guys,

What do you guys think about the use of White-out (liquid or tape) on the app for small errors. I'm being as careful as I can but something always happens and I end up making a mistake. This is my dream job too and I'd hate to lose it on handwriting.
I did however write the essays out on the computer which makes it a lot easier for spell checking, grammer, and overall neatness.
I tried to mix it up a little on the essay questions. I used a few from aviation and a few more personal type anwers.
I do have a question on the flight time summary though. Are you guys lumping all your multi-eng piston time together then just listing the different types you've flown or are you listing the times separate for each? The same question goes for single-eng time. I don't know why they would want to know how much Sundowner time I have as opposed to just the total piston time but if that's what they want then that's what they will get.

Good luck to all applying!!!

Thanks for the help guys,

Airbus300Pilot

Last edited:
I know that one shouldn't be disqualified because they have somewhat sloppy handwriting, but here at ATA, unfortunately, we tend to fill out a lot of paperwork. So, that may be a reason why the applications are looked at closely for neatness. Just my thoughts....

sayagain?

"do you really think that you are that screwed because of a typo, not using the right font on the app, or by handwriting the application."

In a word, yes. There are hundreds of highly qualified applicants for every interview slot at an airline like ATA. How else do they sort through the pile of ex-US Airways, ex-United, and ex-American people? I personally know of scores of folks like this who can't get an interivew anywhere and not from lack of effort.

In this environment anyone, no matter what their quals., is very fortunate to get a call from anyone.

To the guy who thinks he messed up by printing terribly...

NO

I just interviewed on the 17th, and I hand wrote my app with my nomal handwriting (equal to a 6th grader). They dont care about that. Write FAIRLY neat, an it's no big deal.

I used to work with people in HR (not in their department.) They told me never to type an application -- it just makes it harder to read. Of course, this was a non-aviation company and we all know how screwy things are in this business.

Latest resources

Back