Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Same here

Same here,

I was on my way to FedEx, but stopped half way. The envelope they provided was taylor-made to be delivered to Sasha, I didnt want to take a chance on her NOT getting it.

If the extra day or two it takes them to get it makes that much of a difference I guess it wasnt meant to be.

Hey Guys,

Good luck and get your applications in soon. I started ground school this past monday for the L-1011 and they have a very classy operation here. They were not real clear on what the future classes would be, but I know there are probably gonna be 2 more L-1011 classes before the end of the year....at least I hope so because I am #958 of 958 pilots on the list.

In case you were wondering....there are 8 guys in my class. 2 former ATA FEs who were furloughed from 727, a furloughed USair F100 FO, Corporate CL-65, KC-135 Guard, Emery 737 CAPT furloughed, Midway CRJ Capt furloughed, and me ( Mesa E145 CA). I was the youngest at age 33.

Good luck to all

Good luck to you guys with your apps on the way to ATA. I am in the pool and hope to be in class soon after starting terminal leave from the AF in October. I would like to have a few people behind me as well and I know Scott would be loving it!!

I too just sent an ATA application, I mailed it last monday (the 5th).

I have an address question for you guys. The cover letter that Sasha sends us with the return address does not have a street address. My letter simply said mail the completed application to :

Sasha (then a code)
Then a PO Box
Then Indi, IN Zip

Is that the address you guys got? I felt un-easy sending an application that I worked so hard on w/o a street address.

Thanks.

-T

Last edited:
I have to believe if ATA printed up a bunch of mailers they would get the address right. Presumably hundreds of other pilots used these envelopes and got interviews, so hang in there. I sent mine in three weeks ago and am hoping for a response soon.

In three plus years at ATA, I've sent all correspondence with the company to that PO Box number.

Best of luck to you guys. News from Indy hasn't been very encouraging of late.

I sent mine in on Monday 8/5 as well..... When my app arrived, there was NO MAILER in the stupid thing. I was horrified - do ya call, knowing they don't want calls from pilot applicants, or just send it in a normal envelope and hope?? Well, I called. The gal I talked to was very nice. Luckily, she asked Sasha for me and didn't connect me through (I'm sure Sasha is very nice, but a friend of mine got through to her once to check if his app made it in and she scolded him for calling). Anyway, they were cool about it and I sent it in via Express Mail.

Anybody who's made it in please tell us if they're gonna continue to hire for the near term future!!

Several people on the inside that I have talked to say they feel that now that George is back in the CEO seat, there will certainly be an increase in charter work. Also, if you look at the notes on their financial reports, 2/3 of the second quarter loss comes from write downs and non cash expenses. So I am still hopeful.

how do you get an application?

Is the address correct in this website for ATA? I would like to send in a resume' but have never heard from anyone what the best way to go about it.

George-

I interviewed in IND on Monday. It was the best interview that I've experienced. There were six of us and a total of 24 for the week. We weren't told of any firm class dates but I do know that they should be doing more interviewing in September. Good Luck.

sayagain?

For those of you interviewing or hoping to interview, you may be interested in this article from Aviation Week.

The second paragraph is the most "interesting".

I wish I knew what the plans were but things seem to be in flux right now.

Good Luck to all!

12-Aug-2002 09:01:06 pm

Founder Takes Over ATA,
Aims To Bring Down Costs
JAMES OTT/CINCINNATI

George Mikelsons, who founded American Trans Air 29 years ago, resumed daily control of the Indianapolis-based major airline last week, replacing a youthful CEO and pledging to pare down expenses to fit with the impoverished revenue environment.

Mikelsons said his main task will be "wrestling down the cost alligator." Reducing expenses offers the only option for American Trans Air (ATA), he said. Carrier officials are in discussions with Boeing and leasing companies about delivery delays for 737-800 and 757-300 aircraft. Cutbacks in personnel are "probably going to be necessary."

ATA is suffering from a revenue deficit, the same as other U.S. majors. The average ticket price at ATA last month slipped to $98 from $121 in July a year ago, a 19% decline. Even as ticket prices have dropped, traffic in ATA's scheduled service has been flat, and in the second quarter, charter traffic fell 20%.

"People aren't flying. You can offer fares to Florida for $59 or $49, and they don't stimulate the market," he said.

The situation is hurting ATA, which is adding capacity during the downturn. It is more than halfway through taking delivery of 40 737-800s, 12 757-300s and one 757-200. In the second quarter, capacity increased 11.5%.

"There is excess capacity in the market, and the airlines are like a bunch of hungry dogs fighting over the scraps. We see no end in sight," Mikelsons said.

One possible change in the ATA operations formula is the addition of new, underserved destinations from Chicago's Midway Airport, its main hub operation, which represents 67% of its capacity by gateway.

ATA is also looking forward to October when it begins a new fiscal year of serving military charters for the Defense Dept. The charters will increase utilization of the longer range -500 versions of their 13 Lockheed L-1011s. The L-1011s have been flying only 3-3.5 hr. per day, and have become an expensive operation, he said. The cost of the L-1011s will be the first cost to be under review.

ATA's last 727 was retired in May.

"Unfortunately, one of the reasons I'm back is that ATA has been overly optimistic with regard to the revenue picture. Everybody thought that things were going to get better. It was looking up in the first quarter, but then it fell into a deep trough, and the rest of the year looks horrible," the executive said.

ATA Holdings Inc., the parent company, was among a handful of airlines that reported positive first-quarter earnings, an operating profit of $10 million. In the second quarter, the carrier posted an operating loss of $59.2 million. The fuel-efficient new aircraft and fuel cost reductions brought down fuel and oil expenses by 24.8%, but overall expenses increased 10.4% to $377.8 million, compared with the second quarter, 2001. Salary and wages went up 9.8% to $91 million. Aircraft rentals jumped more than 100% to $45 million.

Brian Harris of Salomon Smith Barney downgraded the carrier's stock rating to "neutral, high risk on valuation," saying the second-quarter earnings were worse than expected. In July, ATA was selected by Aviation Week & Space Technology as the best performing medium-size airline, based on an independent analysis of the previous year's operations.

MIKELSONS SUCCEEDED John P. Tague as president and CEO. The former Midway Airlines executive left the company to pursue other opportunities. "When I decided to step back in and we reorganized things here a bit, I asked John to stay and run the scheduled service piece, which is really his forte and love. But as is quite often the case when running the whole banana, you don't want to step back and run one division, though it is the largest by far."

Tague joined ATA in 1991 and became president and chief operating officer two years later. He left the company in 1995 to work as a consultant but returned in 1997, later adding CEO to his title. It was during his tenure in 2000 that ATA qualified as a major airline when its annual revenues exceeded $1 billion. It is the 10th largest U.S. carrier, based on traffic.

Under Mikelsons' reorganization, ATA is splitting its four operating units into five. The mainline flying operation was halved into two business units: ATA scheduled service and ATA charter. The other units are Chicago Express Airlines, known as the ATA Connection; ATA Training Corp. and Ambassadair Travel Club.

A pilot, Mikelsons founded ATA in 1973 as a charter travel club. It began a focus on scheduled service in the early 1990s, launching a hub at Chicago Midway in 1993. A new gate complex was opened at Midway last year. The carrier has applied for a $165-million federal loan guarantee to restore liquidity lost in the aftermath of Sept. 11. The Air Transportation Stabilization Board has not ruled on that application.

©August 12, 2002, The McGraw-Hill Companies Inc.

Latest resources

Back