ATA and MIA: means SWA and MIA

MDP727

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 30, 2003
Posts
142
Total Time
6000+
Miami airport lures ATA with incentive program

Becoming the first low-cost carrier to pick Miami as its South Florida base and not serve Fort Lauderdale, ATA Airlines will begin service from MIA this fall.

BY INA PAIVA CORDLE

icordle@herald.com


ATA Airlines will resume service from Miami International Airport to Chicago Midway in October, making it the first low-cost carrier to choose Miami over Fort Lauderdale and garner free landing fees.

It may also herald an entree to Miami for Southwest Airlines' connecting passengers, because the two carriers often transfer passengers to each other's flights on a single ticket.

ATA will begin with two daily flights to Miami on Oct. 29, adding a third on Dec. 13, confirmed airline spokesman Stan Hula.

''It's part of a return to Florida,'' Hula said. ``We've run the economics and we are familiar with the marketplace.''

ATA, the first discount carrier to qualify for MIA's new incentive program, will get a waiver on all landing fees for one year. JetBlue Airways, which serves Fort Lauderdale, is also expected soon to announce new service to Miami from various cities, including New York, Boston, Washington, D.C., and possibly others, beginning next year, sources said.

Low-cost carriers, like Southwest Airlines and Spirit Airlines, until now have favored Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport over MIA. The Fort Lauderdale airport, which has had an incentive program since 2000, has staked its niche for discount carriers, the fastest growing segment in the airline industry, ever since Southwest chose Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood for its South Florida base in 1996. Some low-cost carriers, like AirTran Airways, have opted to fly out of both Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

In 2003, only 840,000 passengers, or 2.8 percent of Miami's traffic was carried on low-cost carriers. That compares to 6.5 million, or 36.6 percent of Fort Lauderdale's passengers, according to a study conducted by Coral Gables-based KKC Aviation Consulting in 2004.

For years, MIA has tried to attract more discount carriers, and the incentive program, approved last month, is geared to lure them, as well as international airlines.

ATA, which sent a memo to employees Wednesday informing them of the new service, plans to announce it Sunday, when it will begin selling tickets.

Fares for the flights, which will operate on Boeing 737s, will be published then, Hula said.

MIA administrators haven't yet been notified of ATA's plans, however, so gate and counter space hasn't yet been leased, he said.

''We are delighted to have them,'' said Miguel Southwell, MIA's assistant director for business development. ``They provide good service.''
 

Whine Lover

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 19, 2005
Posts
1,497
Total Time
12000+
''Southwest Airline's arrival into a market, even if it is Southwest's arrival via codeshare, via ATA, has historically driven fares in the new market very low and increased usage of those airports,'' said Stuart Klaskin, partner in KKC Aviation Consulting. ``To get Southwest into Miami, even by proxy, is a huge victory for Miami International.''


WL
 

Jetjockey

Stay thirsty my friends
Joined
Feb 28, 2002
Posts
1,492
Total Time
18K+
Whine Lover said:
''Southwest Airline's arrival into a market, even if it is Southwest's arrival via codeshare, via ATA, has historically driven fares in the new market very low and increased usage of those airports,'' said Stuart Klaskin, partner in KKC Aviation Consulting. ``To get Southwest into Miami, even by proxy, is a huge victory for Miami International.''

WL
I'm happy that ATA is going back into some Florida markets, however this proxy statement is like a girl calling out someone else's name while you're with her. "Oh Southwest, your so good..............I mean ATA". Whatever your name is, just take me to Chicago.
 

aeronautic1

Virgil_Tracy
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Posts
716
Total Time
3500
Broward County

The news in Broward County is how much that the south runway needs to be lengthened because of all the delays at FLL ( like in the top 5 nationwide). Now, I thought that a large portion of this was due to the usualy weather ralted and flow control delays. I had no idea that there was an incentive program which lures more airlines which requires more landing slots and subsequent delays.

-------------------------------------------
" I haven't jumped out of an airplane in 16 years, I am not about to start tonight."
John Wayne, "Islands in the Sky"
 

Flying Freddie

Bitchin' Blue
Joined
Dec 30, 2002
Posts
345
Total Time
23042
Hopefully ATA will call back some pilots. Anyone know how many are furloughed?
 

320AV8R

DUMP ALPA
Joined
Oct 15, 2003
Posts
505
Total Time
2 much
Why should ATA, (or anyboby else), get FREE landing fees, when others have to pay for them ?


320AV8R
 

dhampton

Just another number
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
130
Total Time
8000
Is ATA planning to move it's capacity from RSW to MIA???
 

tzskipper

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 12, 2004
Posts
284
Total Time
10,000
Is ATA planning to move it's capacity from RSW to MIA???
I believe that later this year that ATA is going to actually add capacity to South Florida, in cities other than MIA.

Skipper
 

Jetjockey

Stay thirsty my friends
Joined
Feb 28, 2002
Posts
1,492
Total Time
18K+
I believe ATA has 190 furloughed pilots (not including flight engineers). Word of another small (10-19) furlough at the end of August. The high water mark of pilots was 1103. Good luck to all those looking for a flying job.
 

mach zero

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 15, 2003
Posts
297
Total Time
10K+
capt. megadeth said:
Keep dreaming......
Right and you are the expert since your hubby (or whatever) worked for Chico. How about you stick to Brown subjects from now on...
 

capt. megadeth

Metal Momma!
Joined
Oct 12, 2003
Posts
2,898
Total Time
>4999
mach zero said:
Right and you are the expert since your hubby (or whatever) worked for Chico. How about you stick to Brown subjects from now on...
I didn't say I am an expert, but if it smells like $hit, and looks like $hit...well ya know. Is that enough Brown for ya? If you think that ATA won't be gone soon, you are smokin crack with the rest of em. Do I want that to happen? Of course not. I wish nothing but the best for everyone involved but come on, have you not been paying attention to what's going on?

By the way, buttmunch, I worked there for 5+ years along with my fiancee and many friends who got screwed with this entire deal and it's gonna happen to my buds at ATA. So, why don't you just keep your yap shut.
 

mach zero

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 15, 2003
Posts
297
Total Time
10K+
capt. megadeth said:
I didn't say I am an expert, but if it smells like $hit, and looks like $hit...well ya know. Is that enough Brown for ya? If you think that ATA won't be gone soon, you are smokin crack with the rest of em. Do I want that to happen? Of course not. I wish nothing but the best for everyone involved but come on, have you not been paying attention to what's going on?

By the way, buttmunch, I worked there for 5+ years along with my fiancee and many friends who got screwed with this entire deal and it's gonna happen to my buds at ATA. So, why don't you just keep your yap shut.

No Cupcake, I don't think ATA will be gone soon. This is based on my observations of what is going on with the Tech Dept. and other places in HQ. Of course, I am not nearly as tuned in to the situation as you are since I am just a lowly former ATA pilot who migrated over to the SWA you hate so much.
 

capt. megadeth

Metal Momma!
Joined
Oct 12, 2003
Posts
2,898
Total Time
>4999
mach zero said:
No Cupcake, I don't think ATA will be gone soon. This is based on my observations of what is going on with the Tech Dept. and other places in HQ. Of course, I am not nearly as tuned in to the situation as you are since I am just a lowly former ATA pilot who migrated over to the SWA you hate so much.
Well, sugarplumk, you are a pretty smart lowly former ATA pilot since you left before the end.. At least they found you worthy. Not many from ATA can say that. Didn't take you long to start drinking the Kool-Aid eh?
 
Top