Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATA Airlines Announces Suspension of Service to/from Denver, Indianapolis and San Jua

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA Codeshare

Has SWA commited to the 7 year codeshare yet? If not then when? If they don't I see that as the end of ATA.... Any observations or info?

Thunderchief said:
Has SWA commited to the 7 year codeshare yet? If not then when? If they don't I see that as the end of ATA.... Any observations or info?

How is a seven year codeshare going to save ATA?

How is a seven year codeshare going to save ATA?

The 7 year agreement will not "SAVE" ATA. ATA has been dismantled and restructured to codeshare with SWA, investors have been sold on the codeshare concept. If SWA did not renew the agreement then I would guess that the new investors would back out since ATA has put most all the eggs in that basket.

The hard work and sincere dedication of ATA's employees are the only thing that has carried ATA this far and I believe we are the only ones who will save ATA.

To answer the original question: The codeshare has not been renewed yet because it has not expired, I expect the agreement to be renewed in January 2006.

capt. megadeth said:
Yes, you are right....they do take care of their employees...that's fine. I am sick of the "we are so great, we luv everybody" BULL$HIT! They love themselves and that is fine. That seems to be running rampant in this country these days. Self love. Fuk everybody else. Just admit it....stop putting on the kumbaya show. I can see right through it and with the latest SWA/ATA jokeshare so can many others.

Ok, off for some psych meds.....
See I actually know this psychotic but she is only nuts half the time. ;)

That said I simply challenge you Capt. Megadeath to show any, any airline in this industry that bases strategic moves on the moral implications to a group of employees that are not their own, in particular the group of employees of an already troubled company? Is it lack of "LUV" or it simply business sense?

I do believe that SWA entered into this codeshare in the belief that if ATA gained traction (perhaps if oil had gone down or better deals were struck on the leases with Boeing) that they would have a strong codeshare partner and if ATA began to slide they would be well placed to gain market share in ATA cities and additional gates. Win-win ya know? Was SWA out day one to stick it to ATA? I don't think so, but they knew going in that their deal insured they couldn't lose either way and that is smart business.

Knowing as many ATA pilots as we do I was disappointed that more were not hired. Just like you I have been disappointed at the very low hire percentage at SWA overall for all interviewing pilots. But the results speak for themselves and the folks who do make it inside are by and large all class acts (obviously I am an exception, ha-ha). Once inside the walls I can assure you that SWA does "LUV" their own and take care of their own. That attitude is at their very core, and it is very real... it just doesn't and can't extend to the rest of the industry or our competitive strength will simply be usurped by a company willing to make the tough decisions to win.

canyonblue737 said:
See I actually know this psychotic but she is only nuts half the time. ;)

That said I simply challenge you Capt. Megadeath to show any, any airline in this industry that bases strategic moves on the moral implications to a group of employees that are not their own, in particular the group of employees of an already troubled company? Is it lack of "LUV" or it simply business sense?

I agree with much of what Canyonblue writes but I have trouble with the choice of words in bold. I think SWA acts morally towards other businesses and goes further, the extra mile, to help out their own. I think Canyon meant that.

I think Southwest is acting ethically and in line with what they have done in years past. I say this in regards to codeshare and new service. We all should know what Southwest is doing. They are buying 35 or so planes a year and adding service in either new or existing markets. If SWA doesn't Airtran, JetBlue, Frontier or others will. We have to be aware of this state of affairs.

Competition in this industry is a B#$^*. The oil shock this year is killing carriers that need a break. I don't think JetBlue, Airtran, Frontier, or Spirit would be giving ATA a break either. Airtran is also attacking ATA's service to MSP. They would have sooner if they were operating out of the gates Southwest managed to acquire.

I don't know what kind of hand shake deal was made or is rumored to exist. Is there one? A few folks that worked for ATA over the years saw the handwriting on the wall and walked over to the SWA side even before 9/11. Not all who tried were successful. It was probably easier to move over then too. I'm sorry about that. This deregulation and republican thing has made lottery winners out of some of us and hurt many others.

Everyday I pray ATA gets a break and stops the slide. Its about time.

Last edited:
FlyBoeingJets said:
I agree with much of what Canyonblue writes but I have trouble with the choice of words in bold. I think SWA acts morally towards other businesses and goes further, the extra mile, to help out their own. I think Canyon meant that.

I think Southwest is acting ethically and in line with what they have done in years past. I say this in regards to codeshare and new service. We all should know what Southwest is doing. They are buying 35 or so planes a year and adding service in either new or existing markets. If SWA doesn't Airtran, JetBlue, Frontier or others will. We have to be aware of this state of affairs.

Competition in this industry is a B#$^*. The oil shock this year is killing carriers that need a break. I don't think JetBlue, Airtran, Frontier, or Spirit would be giving ATA a break either. Airtran is also attacking ATA's service to MSP. They would have sooner if they were operating out of the gates Southwest managed to acquire.

I don't know what kind of hand shake deal was made or is rumored to exist. Is there one? A few folks that worked for ATA over the years saw the handwriting on the wall and walked over to the SWA side even before 9/11. Not all who tried were successful. It was probably easier to move over then too. I'm sorry about that. This deregulation and republican thing has made lottery winners out of some of us and hurt many others.

Everyday I pray ATA gets a break and stops the slide. Its about time.

That is indeed what I was trying to get across.

I personally consider the ATA pilots, brothers and sisters! Out of all the pilot groups out there they are the closest to our own! Always have been, always will be IMO. I hope they are assemenated into the collective in the very near furture. I will be very dissapointed if they arnt!

Jim Smyth said:
I personally consider the ATA pilots, brothers and sisters! Out of all the pilot groups out there they are the closest to our own! Always have been, always will be IMO. I hope they are assemenated into the collective in the very near furture. I will be very dissapointed if they arnt!

A true class act. Thanks for the kind words sir.

What about me?

By-the-way....that was/is CanyonBlue737 not the orginal CanyonBlue that we all have grown to love, over the years.

Last edited:
Jim Smyth said:

I sure wish you were on the decision board Jim! Talk to those base CP for us.

Latest resources

Back