ATA/135 jumpseat??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
anyone else take 135 guys?

Quite a few carriers will accept 135 guys if your company has some sort of "agreement" with them, but I believe ATA is going to be the only carrier to have such an "open" policy if you are not on a list. It sure would be nice but from my personal experience I would be hard pressed to attempt to j/s on another carrier if our company is not on that magic list. A few of our guys have had luck with Air Tran as I have but I think that was purely "luck" since they do have a list of carriers that are able to j/s on them but fortunately the captains have been nice enough to let this slide. It is my experience from when I worked for Delta Airlines that you can have a local station agreement between the station managers that may allow discounts/perks if you have your director of ops or someone within your company speak directly to the airline of choice. Speak to people within your company and see what can be worked out and looked into. The main problem with many carriers is that you have to be listed for the flight and if a gate agent sees that you are not on the list they may prevent you from going onto the aircraft to speak to the captain so may be a wasted trip to the airport. Once again, my hat is off to ATA for allowing us to freely j/s on them.

Good luck,

3 5 0

Hi!

There are a number of carriers that do NOT have a list.

When there is no list, it is up to the captain who gets to jumpseat.

Other airlines:

America West has a list, but for domestic flights the captains ignore the list, and let anyone go, in my experience.

Some airlines, such as NWA, DAL, AA have lists, and are USUALLY strict with them.

For instance, we are on NWA's list. Some of the captains actually look up our airline on their list before allowing me on (only a very few do this). We are NOT on, for example, UAL, AA or DAL's lists. I know of some of our pilots who have flown on UAL and AA.

The gate agent allows them to see the captain, the captain looks at their credentials, and says OK.

I was turned down for a SWA flight, and turned around and was allowed on the next flight, at another gate.

The most important thing is to be cordial, and do whatever the gate agents want. Do NOT p!ss the gate agents off!

Cliff
DTW

basically stay away from the big three - american, delta and united.

spirit and regionals are pretty good, and us airways may have one cabin seat available for offliners.

someone once explained the outcome of a court case by saying it hinged on whether or not the judge got la_d the night before, etc - maybe thats also true with JSing.

ATA 135 Jumpseat

I'm a freight dog for a 135 cargo company and tried to jumpseat with ATA this weekend and it didn't go as smooth as usual. One lady at the desk said I couldn't do it, but later a different girl was really nice and called dispatch and got me sorted out. She had never done it before and had to call them to find out how to process me in the computer. I did not have a reservation so maybe that's why she had to call dispatch.

I've done it before without getting a reservation, just walk up to the desk and ask them for a ride showing your company ID and FAA cert.

A fellow pilot who works at the same company as me got denied this weekend in
Cincinnati and had to use alternatate transport to get home.

Just wondering if anybody else has had problems lately or if anything has changed regarding jumpseat privilages for 135 cargo pilots.

It used to be that one could jumpseat with quite a few carriers... I flew 135 in 99/00, and I jumped on UAL, HAL, ATA, AWA, Aloha, SWA, Continental... without any major hassles.

In the aftermath of 9/11, and in particular that idiot that fraudulently used the jumpseat right after 9/11 (the jackass was fired from Frontier Flying Service - he kept his ID) and all the urban legends that 9/11 terrorists were in the jumpseat brought jumpseating to be a major hassle.

Nowadays, you'd be lucky to get past the gate agent with most airlines if you're not on the list.

If you are a 135 guy trying to jumpseat, give yourself some extra time if you're trying to jumpseat.

ATA's pretty darn reliable.

i prefer to go to their check in counter at an airport a day ahead and try and get listed, instead of calling the phone number. list for your round trip then and there. sometimes the flights are full though. i had that GREAT LAKES takes 135 guys and maybe CHICAGO EXPRESS

i prefer to go to their check in counter at an airport a day ahead and try and get listed, instead of calling the phone number. list for your round trip then and there. sometimes the flights are full though. i had that GREAT LAKES takes 135 guys and maybe CHICAGO EXPRESS
If you pick the wrong time of the day and you just "show up" then you are not going to make very many friends at the ticket counter, there is a reason why they have the non-rev number for employees to list..... It is better to list the night before (as suggested not to mention much easier for all parties involved) versus bothering an agent that is probably going to be busy trying to check a flight in depending on when you arrive at the airport. Do as you wish but I surely would not just show up out of the blue and expect them to list you. I saw one 135 jock do this and he obviously p!ssed the agent off to a point where she even wrote the number down again for him to call, needless to say mr. 135 guy did not get on the flight that he wanted to get onto.

ATA is great when it comes to 135 pilots but there is a point where you need to realize that this is nothing more than a "courtesy" my friend that shouldn't be abused...

3 5 0

I'm definetly hyper sensitive to holding up revenue customers trying to check in, etc. if that's the case i stay out of the way. but if you pass through the terminal as part of your day, you can catch an agent that's free. i once inadvertently tied up the non rev phone line for a pretty long time, and felt kind of bad about it.

and I was recently agonizing about whether or not I could put my shoe less left foot up on the emergency escape chute on the emergency exit. i did and i felt like one flight attendant in particular was staring daggers at me, like i wasn't adhering to protocol,etc

Latest resources

Back