At UPT..figters vs. heavies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

USAFftrplt

Well I have a question to throw out ..I'm currently in UPT and about to track select. I'm here sponsored by a heavy unit. I was previously in a fighter guard unit (non rated) and when looking for slots , they were not hiring at the time. Well I have been doing well at UPT to the point of my IP's trying to sway me somehow to go fighters. I have been contacted by the SQ commander of my old guard unit that they could work a slot for me if I wanted now even with me being in UPT. So I have the difficult choice of staying with my cush job after upt flying heavies (tankers) on full orders for a few years or abandoning this in persuit of the fighters at the old place. Part of me feels wrong for even thinking about the idea because that would be bad to screw my unit that sponsored me here, but another part feels that I would perhaps regret not flying fighters If I could have had the chance. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated...not asking for you guys to make up my mind but maybe shed some light. Thanks

Depends what your long range goals are....if you want a future airline job be warry of turning your nose on the unit (and no doubt a number of current airline pilots) that sponsored you.......if you want to fly mil only as a full time guard guy and make a career of it, the fighter option would probably work (but at a price).

gb

^^^^^ What he said. But remember, there'll be an all too small window to fly fighters. Once it is gone, your chances of ever doing it plummet. Float it past your unit. They may say "Heck yeah, go for it."

Talk to your SQ CC Asap about wanting to try this. This has happened in my unit with guys at UPT and they (sq leadership) were pretty understanding, as long as you are up front about it and didn't backdoor them.

Its a one way street and you'll only have one opportunity to do it. Once you get T-1 stink on you its a closed door.

And no one will blackball you at any airlines. Judging by your bio thats an avenue many years down the road anyway.

Edit: It might be harder than you think to just swap if you are in the Reserves trying to go to a guard unit. Everyone could be on board, and AFRC will just say no, you're a Reserve Asset.

Last edited:
if you are at CBM, PM me, there is an IP there who switched from ANG tankers to AFRES fighters while at UPT about 6 years ago, he can give you some insights to the process and the feelings of the parties involved.

If this is a ANG to ANG deal, could the gaining fighter unit make a trade with the Guard Bureau to give your losing tanker unit one of their future UPT allocations. Also somewhere out there is always a dude on the fence for not making the MASS score high enough to track to a fighter and his unit may want him to go T-1s and find another job elsewhere in the ANG.

Good Luck

Follow your heart. You'll make enough friends in the fighter world who will help you get an airline job--a handful of pissed off tanker pilots won't ruin your life even if they do get upset.

What Gorilla said--its a small window of opportunity...

go FIGHTERS

If the opportunity is there - by all means GO Fighters. You will NOT regret it...

What a great position you are in. As always speak with your "current" unit and at least get the "blessing/understanding" of the individuals who gave you the UPT slot - and NEVER forget what they did for you. I would send the unit a box of cigars (cuban of course) every year at Christmas time - all in rememberance of what they did for you.

Congradulations

HoursHore said:
Talk to your SQ CC Asap about wanting to try this. This has happened in my unit with guys at UPT and they (sq leadership) were pretty understanding, as long as you are up front about it and didn't backdoor them.

As a former tanker puke who couldn't make the fighter cut at UPT (I nicknamed my left hand Hormel and my right hand Armour), I'd say that you should go for fighters. Going fighters won't hurt you when looking for an airline job.
But I'd STRONGLY advise you to discuss this with the squadron leadership of the tanker unit. HoursHore is spot on with his advice. They will probably be much more understanding than you imagine.
They'd rather you be upfront and honest with them than being blindsided by this and they may be able to stop you from going fighters if you piss them off. And even if they don't have control over your future, do the right thing and talk to them.

The closest that I came to flying fighters was as a T-38 IP; I got a chance to see some very gifted student pilots and student pilots like myself. I wish that I had the talent required to fly a fighter but I don't regret the path that I've taken. Count yourself as being blessed.

Go fly fighters.
But don't screw the folks who let you get to where you are, keep them in the loop.
You'll have plenty of time to fly heavy in the airlines.

Latest resources

Back