At UPT..figters vs. heavies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My 2 cents....

I'm on MPA (full time) orders with my unit and have lots more time off than my fighter buds nearby who are traditional guard guys (part time). That being said... We (my unit) have plenty of former fighter pilots who would never, ever have traded their experiences as fighters. Have fun for a while, when you get married and have a couple kids, maybe think about going heavies. You can't go the other direction.

As a reserve baby, I was at the top of my pilot training class and was approached several times by flight commanders, ip’s, etc. to go the 38 track... the catch was that it was on active duty. If a guard or reserve fighter unit near where I lived would have offered me a spot I would have found a way to make it work. 3 years after UPT I was a new hire at a major airline (average 800 hours per year in the heavy reserve airplanes and some time prior to UPT) while my UPT classmates had years of commitment in front of them; I thought I made a good choice. Bankruptcies and furloughs and one screwed up industry I am on the mpa gravy train... I will tell you in 30 years if I made the right choice.

In your case, you may not want to even consider going to the airlines at all! Nice set of options, you are choosing between good and better!

Go fighters. . .I was a boom sponsored by a 135 unit (AFRES) at UPT, and got hired by the Hooligans up in Fargo while in tweets. I talked to my squadron leadership and they backed me 100% (although I had been a flier in the unit for 8 years). . . . .Then after 1 day in 38's I got a call from an AFRC 1 star and was promptly placed back in T-1's and told to shut up and color. . .Unquestionably Go Fighters ! I love the Tanker, but I would trade it in for a Viper Guard unit in Korea right now. . .That being said, probably have more paydays in a heaviy unit. .

You can always burn holes in the sky in something big, but your chance to be zipper suited sun god may be a one time deal. Are you going to regret it later on if you don't take it? Maybe something to think about...

Great opinions here; I know a fella in my previous unit who was sponsored by a fighter unit and washed out of lead in. It does go both ways. But, I cannot recommend what has been said over and over - KEEP YOUR CURRENT UNIT IN THE LOOP! Look at it this way, if you do, then you won't feel bad or feel like you're betraying them.

Also (and I know this is a LONG shot...) do you know anyone at your base sponsored by a fighter unit that isn't going to end up flying fighters? Just a thought... Best of luck and don't let UPT stress you out!

Latest resources

Back