• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

At UPT..figters vs. heavies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had a similar situation in UPT, I had a ADO trying to talk me into ditching my heavy unit for fighters. I stuck with my unit, because I gave them my word. I don't regret it. Do what your gut tells you.

I second you Slacker. I was given the option of fighters in UPT as well. I decided to stay with heavies and have never regretted it.

Guard and Reserve units have plenty of UPT slots, and your leaving is not going to hurt them in the long run. It's your life not theirs. Someday down the road they'll pick up some fighter kid who couldn't make the cut and It'll all be even. For goodness sakes, do what you really want to do!

if you want a future airline job be warry of turning your nose on the unit (and no doubt a number of current airline pilots) that sponsored you
I wouldn't worry about this, by the time you get enough hours for an airline job they won't even remember you.
Someday down the road they'll pick up some fighter kid who couldn't make the cut and It'll all be even.
Exactly, happens all the time.

Dude, AWESOME oppurtunity. I got a different perspective. Take care of numero uno FIRST! It is a great gig, but do what YOU want to do. Fighters is the way to go. Who knows, the next BRAC round could schwak your unit (sts). Don't even think that flying heavies is better for airline. Well maybe the amount of flight time, but every fighter pilot out there will know your capabilites and not vice versa. (hopefully I didn't stir the pot on that one).

The only thing that I personally might stay with a heavy is if LOCATION was a strong factor. It may not be now, but it will be later on in life (depending on your age). Same with an airline job. My first decision, if I was to do it all over again, would be who fly out of where and then keep my fingers crossed that they don't close that domicile.

Congrats and good luck... FLY FIGHTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I highly recommend doing neither. You can go helo track for the best flying in the military. You could fly HH-60's in the guard at Moffet Field or Long Island; in the resserves at DM or Patrick. And then if you want to fly airplanes, go buy a Be 23, because you'll probably never get hired by a major airline.

On the other hand, I think your screen name tells us your real aspirations. Go fly fighters while you can. Be up front with your sponsoring unit and they'll probably understand.

Fly safe . . .

Not knowing anything about military aviation, I will simply say this. You made a commitment to the unit that sponsored you to pilot training. You made a promise. Now it is up to you to fulfill that promise. One of the measures of a decent human being is that he keeps his promises, regardless of the personal cost.

Now, having said that, if you have the opportunity to fly fighters, then the honorable thing to do is to contact your sponsoring unit and discuss the situation to them. Make your wishes known. If they are cool with it, then by all means GO FOR IT! If they are not cool with it, well like I said, you made a promise. Go to transports and never look back.

I was in same situation 10 years ago. I was first in my class in UPT and could have done anything. I was "loyal" to my heavy unit. That was the worst mistake of my life. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't hestitate to go fighters. As has been said, it's a very small window of opportunity. Your "loyalty" is to the American people, for paying the millions to train you, NOT to a particular flying squadron. Your job as an officer is to do the best job you can for your country. If you are miserable flying heavies, when you could be kicking ass flying fighters, you are betraying the people you have sworn to defend.

highsky said:
Your "loyalty" is to the American people, for paying the millions to train you, NOT to a particular flying squadron. Your job as an officer is to do the best job you can for your country. If you are miserable flying heavies, when you could be kicking ass flying fighters, you are betraying the people you have sworn to defend.

Interesting perspective, and I don't disagree. I think it is critical to do your very best to smooth things over with your unit. Go to extremes; find ways to demonstrate how profoundly grateful you are, but the fighter path is something you want or need to do. They may respond with understanding and support, or they may be livid... I have no idea. But whatever their reaction, if you decide to do it, take the high road.

Make it easy on yourself. If Buffalo beats Auburn this weekend, go fighters. Otherwise, heavies. Easy decision. Whew, now back to your regulary scheduled program.

Go fighters and keep everyone informed cause Buffalo ain't ever beating Auburn. Then again, Auburn will choke before the season is out.

Latest resources

Back