• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Astra SPX Opinions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think LS gave you a pretty good answer ... but you might need to shut down on engine to keep a wet footprint. That should be answer enough

I flew a Astra for a couple of years and it was an MX nightmare. 5 slap flap disasters. There are much better airframes out there if your mission is HI.

I think LS gave you a pretty good answer ... but you might need to shut down on engine to keep a wet footprint. That should be answer enough

I flew a Astra for a couple of years and it was an MX nightmare. 5 slap flap disasters. There are much better airframes out there if your mission is HI.
The hi capacity o2 is the answer for the wet foot print. Given enough o2 you won't have to drop down to a breathable altitude and you won't have a wet foot print problem. A couple of our Astras had the hi-capacity system and we were able to do Hawaii just fine without the wet foot print. The rest of the airplanes just had the single bottle system and we had to carry 4 of the portable Scott bottles which we simple stowed with the rafts and survival gear.

The slat/flap "disasters" (and yes, I've had my share of them) are completely avoidable with proper maintenance procedures - after our mechanics finally figured out how to read the maintenance manual, our company went 20,000+ Astra airframe hours without one single episode.

I agree that if your mission is HI then there are certainly better choices, but right now I can't think of any other mid-size jet that could even consider the trip.

As for the rest of the crap on this thread - you guys take it outside - PLEASE.

LS

Please forgive my rather astronomical ig'nunce born of being nothing more than a once-in-a-while right-side King Air seat warmer ... but why exactly is a small/mid jet carrying O2?

(I'm about to learn something, I'm sure. :) )

Please forgive my rather astronomical ig'nunce born of being nothing more than a once-in-a-while right-side King Air seat warmer ... but why exactly is a small/mid jet carrying O2?

(I'm about to learn something, I'm sure. :) )

Well, for the same reason that any jet carries O2. When you're operating at high altitude (as high and even higher than in your occasional King Air) it's really, really important that you can get some good ole fashioned Oxygen available when you lose your cabin (depressurize). Far more important for jets to carry O2 than your King Air, actually. Especially when you're Oceanic. In this case, if you develop a pressurization problem you can maintain altitude in order to keep your fuel burn down and keep the crew safe because they're breathing Oxygen through the appropriate masks. Crew on 02 means higher altitude, means lower fuel burn, means you may actually make landfall before you run out of gas.

By the way.......really?

Last edited:
One more point about depressurization that is not being mentioned. If you have to stay at a high altitude in order not to have wet foot print you need oxygen right? Right.

Now, how are you going to stay warm? You have a hole in you cabin and minimum decent altitude in FL240. You and you pax are still going to freeze to death.

Unless your airplane can make the flight at 15,000 or below at you ETP (and land with at least 30 mins of reserve), you should NOT be flying that airplane to Hawaii.

Now, how are you going to stay warm? You have a hole in you cabin and minimum decent altitude in FL240. You and you pax are still going to freeze to death.
Good point, but if you're using "EMER" as your cabin air source you're going to need a big hole in the cabin to keep from roasting everyone. (We're talking SPX/G100 right?)

LS

Good point, LS. It has been about 4 years since I trained on that airplane ...

But ya gotta admit, my friend, now that you do not sweat fuel going to HI it makes it much more civilized! :)

Well, for the same reason that any jet carries O2. When you're operating at high altitude (as high and even higher than in your occasional King Air) it's really, really important that you can get some good ole fashioned Oxygen available when you lose your cabin (depressurize). Far more important for jets to carry O2 than your King Air, actually. Especially when you're Oceanic. In this case, if you develop a pressurization problem you can maintain altitude in order to keep your fuel burn down and keep the crew safe because they're breathing Oxygen through the appropriate masks. Crew on 02 means higher altitude, means lower fuel burn, means you may actually make landfall before you run out of gas.

By the way.......really?

I should have added the word "extra" in the question. I know why O2 is carried (we carry it in the B200 and I've learned - and now forgotten - the mask and qty checks). It was the "extra bottles" thing that I didn't get.

So ... even if you start losing cabin pressure, in order to 'stay dry' you have to 'stay high' (less pph fuel burn) and that means more O2 is needed than is normally available in the aircraft. Got it. Thanks.

So yes ... Really. When I no longer learn at least one new thing every day it's time to eat a bullet and see what's next. :D

Latest resources

Back