• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASTAR to Furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The rummer (started by Astar mgt.) of a 1/3 pullback across the board in North America on the air side by DHL is spreading like wild fire. This on the heels of the Displacement Bid put out on Sat. has everyone rattled. Lets see.... Displace. Bid with potential for 5 furloughs. A reduction in flying rummer. Everyone rattled. Sounds to me that the Mgt BS machine is doing it's job pretty good huh.
As for the UPS stuff, that comes from a financial analyst report from a company in England that DHL should sell off it's Americas Div. to UPS or FEDX because they don't see a return to black until well after 2012. Problem with this report is that this company has had a nasty problem of generating reports that denigrate one company to the benefit of another when the latter has given them money to do so. Reader beware.

Man, it sounds like you guys have your plates full. As a guy that works to live, not live to work I would just say don't let them spoil your Christmas. They do a good job spoiling every other holiday so don't give them the satisfaction. And remember the important rocks in our lives are at home and not KILN or Plantation. With a 1/3 reduction in flying, I know I will not be senior enough to stay with ABX. I guess I need to spool my alternate plans into a higher gear. Oh well, DHL's loss. If DHL keeps playing games with ABX I may just leave to reduce my blood pressure 40 hours/week anyway.

Good luck guys.

This is pure rumor, but heard DHL is slashing 1/3 of all flying. How, who knows? It sounds absurd but it could be true, doesn't make since though with the attempted KHA deal. Just rumors. I heard 10 nines in Jan are going to be announced, and Astar has announced 4 already for sometime in 08.

Remember this though, FEAR is the greatest weapon.

I overheard our ABX planner(G.S.) talking with a night duty officer. She said that they may park 8 DC-9's next year. not 20. and this was before the news that Kitty Hawk had to pull out.

Now that I am thinking about another job, have you guys heard about the lawsuit filed against Kitty Hawk for not giving notice of their shut down? Is that law a Federal law or an Indiana state law and just what does it say? I have never heard of such a thing before and would like to do a bit of research on it to see if I will get notice or if my ID will not work one day when I come in.

Now that I am thinking about another job, have you guys heard about the lawsuit filed against Kitty Hawk for not giving notice of their shut down? Is that law a Federal law or an Indiana state law and just what does it say? I have never heard of such a thing before and would like to do a bit of research on it to see if I will get notice or if my ID will not work one day when I come in.

It's the WARN act Shooter. Here's a link:

http://www.doleta.gov/programs/factsht/warn.htm

It's the WARN act Shooter. Here's a link:

http://www.doleta.gov/programs/factsht/warn.htm

Thanks for the link. Sounds like my ID will not work one day. And thats just gonna piss me off because I drive over an hour in to KILN.:angryfire

well, after more thought, a good lawyer can get restitution. (maybe)

An employer also must give notice if the number of employment losses which occur during a 30-day period fails to meet the threshold requirements of a plant closing or mass layoff, but the number of employment losses for 2 or more groups of workers, each of which is less than the minimum number needed to trigger notice, reaches the threshold level, during any 90-day period, of either a plant closing or mass layoff. Job losses within any 90-day period will count together toward WARN threshold levels, unless the employer demonstrates that the employment losses during the 90-day period are the result of separate and distinct actions and causes.

or for 50-499 employees if they make up at least 33% of the employer's active workforce.

Last edited:
well, after more thought, a good lawyer can get restitution. (maybe)

I wouldn't hold out much hope of any lawyer getting anything done for a labor group with the current administration in place. I'm wondering when both ALPA and Teamsters are going to start acting like UNIONS, and not social clubs. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that.

I saw in Speed News a helicopter for sale by Astar Air Cargo. Is this the same Astar? You guys had a helicopter?

I saw in Speed News a helicopter for sale by Astar Air Cargo. Is this the same Astar? You guys had a helicopter?

Yep. We had it for years flying to the heliports in New York for express pickup for financial services. I guess the Fatherland decided it cost too much money. It wasn't efficent, but it was good PR.

Saw that helo take off and come back sometimes twice during our short download/upload at JFK every day a few years back. It sure stayed busy, at least at that time of the day!

Best of luck to anyone caught up in what can only be blamed on poor management. Been there enough times myself....:(

Latest resources

Back