Associates Degree or A320 Type.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BrickTop

Contemplating finishing my Degree as owning a business has taken much of my time along with full time employment for a Regional. If you were a hiring department at a Major or LCC, who operated A320 aircraft, AND because the A320 is likely to be the widest used aircraft in Major operation, which credential would you think makes you a more likely applicant to be hired? I opt for the degree as it is not a certification the becomes obsolete.

Degree, a type without "time in type", is not very useful. All airlines will train you and type you anyway. So the reality is a type rating (without time) is just not that important to an airline. The only one that I know of that wants this is SW. The reason for that type rating can be argued, but no matter what even at SW you are being trained the same way as if you did not have the type.

I think both are fairly useless. If you get a degree get a bachelors, I don't know that anyone really cares about an associates.

I was viewing the type as insurance to the hiring carrier that you are a "trainable and even a minimal training risk investment" then again being hired and employed by 3 Regional Airlines seems to validate you are "trainable."

Last edited:
I would go the extra mile and get your bachelors degree. Most of the majors will want that when the hiring picks back up again. Like somebody else mentioned, a type without at least 500 hours in the airplane is not worth much. Just my .02:)

Get a 4 year degree ONLY IF the R.O.I. can be justified with the type of degree and the future of the market as regards that career/profession.

100k to make pilot wages ( these days ) is not justifiable.

100k to become a medical professional, engineer, lawyer, architect, computer geek, etc., very well might be.

I say get the 2 year degree, drink heavily, fly airplanes at whatever crapbag outfit hires you, and just roll with the punches. Maintain a bad attitude and say mean things about Women. You'll do just fine...

YKW

P.S. - In this day and age, they are ALL "crapbag outfits". Put your time, effort, and money, into something else and fly for a hobby.

Last edited:
Get a 4 year degree ONLY IF the R.O.I. can be justified with the type of degree and the future of the market as regards that career/profession.

100k to make pilot wages ( these days ) is not justifiable.

100k to become a medical professional, engineer, lawyer, architect, computer geek, etc., very well might be.

I say get the 2 year degree, drink heavily, fly airplanes at whatever crapbag outfit hires you, and just roll with the punches. Maintain a bad attitude and say mean things about Women. You'll do just fine...

YKW

P.S. - In this day and age, they are ALL "crapbag outfits". Put your time, effort, and money, into something else and fly for a hobby.

Thanks for the laugh. You and I would do just fine at the pub together.

Degree first. Getting a type isn't as big of a deal maker as actual turbine time. Oh, and make it a 4 year degree, associates isn't all that helpful.
So, go to school while you're working at a regional building time. But whatever you do, get going NOW!

I'll agree with everyone else on here, get the the 4 year degree if you want to work for a major or well known LCC. My company won't even touch you without one. I tried helping a friend get an interview without one at my company, HR and the CP said no way, even with thousands total time, turbine PIC and heavy jet time.

Get a BS degree in something other than the aviation field. Since you are busy, consider looking into getting an online degree.

Latest resources

Back