• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Associates Degree or A320 Type.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WHY do major airlines require pilot applicants to have 4 year college degree? What sets an experienced pilot with no college education from one who is less experienced and has a 4 year college education?

4 year.

Find a good accredited school that u can afford. Not worth going into debt for. The extra money for a great school is not worth the return on investment it if u go to a good school and stay outta debt.

If you are applying at a major/national it is assumed you are trainable at that point in your career, a type won't matter. The only possible way it might help is if your resume does not show any FMS or glass time as those people are pretty much the only ones that have training problems (still, a small percentage).

Does your dream job/airline require any sort of degree?

If I didn't have a degree and had the time I would get a nursing degree (they have a 2 year program) so I could actually use it. You can fall back on it, or work minimal part time, and go back to school to advance later if need be. Also would look at a medical technologist, as they provide good part time opportunities too.

If you don't have the time for that, then find the cheapest fastest online degree from a non diploma mill.

If you don't have the time for that, then find the cheapest fastest online degree from a non diploma mill.

I have read there are dozens if diploma mills and often times they are very hard to discern. I would be willing to wager there are actually employed pilots at major airlines who received their degree from an illegitimate diploma mill. If an institution claims themselves to be accredited it could be very hard to for an HR department or third party firm to validate.

WHY do major airlines require pilot applicants to have 4 year college degree? What sets an experienced pilot with no college education from one who is less experienced and has a 4 year college education?

Beacuse they can. You don't need a reason why. They want it, you need it if you want the job.

Get a BS degree in something other than the aviation field. Since you are busy, consider looking into getting an online degree.

Try looking into Utah Valley University's online program. Best bang for the busy buck. I would get the degree as well. Good luck to you.

Contemplating finishing my Degree as owning a business has taken much of my time along with full time employment for a Regional. If you were a hiring department at a Major or LCC, who operated A320 aircraft, AND because the A320 is likely to be the widest used aircraft in Major operation, which credential would you think makes you a more likely applicant to be hired? I opt for the degree as it is not a certification the becomes obsolete.

Let the airlines pay for your type, that's the way it should be! The Degree fills a box and thats the way it is. Good Luck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back