Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Foxcow

screwed
Does anyone know of an airport that has a published chart for an ASR? I was told by my instructor that there are a few out there.

Thanks

Sorry dont know of any published, but have you ever actually been able to get one? Everytime I ask I get "unable" not because they are to busy, but it seems that no one really knows how to do it. Or atleast the people I allways get.

Last edited:
garf12 said:
Sorry dont know of any published, but have you ever actually been able to get one? Everytime I ask I get "unable" not because they are two busy, but it seems that no one really knows how to do it. Or atleast the people I allways get.

I got one...asked coming back from a cross country (just after my PPL) and asked if I could get a practice ASR if they had time. Not a problem, got briefed on it by the controller and it was great. He even asked me if it worked out how I imagined when he handed me to tower.

Not really a big deal. "Turn right 10 degrees" "turn right 5 degrees" "5 degrees left of course correcting back" "3 degrees left of course 2 miles from runway correcting to the right"

no biggie.

-mini

I fly out of the Fernandina Beach airport (55J) near Jacksonville, FL and do the ASR all the time. I don't think NOS publishes the actual procedure, which is why the controllers always give you the MAP and MDA, but there is a chart put out by Jeppesen.

The JAX Approach controllers seem to have no problem giving the ASR and do it quite often. I did it last week in actual down to minimums and the controller put me right on the centerline. PM me if you have any other questions.

garf12 said:
Sorry dont know of any published, but have you ever actually been able to get one? Everytime I ask I get "unable" not because they are to busy, but it seems that no one really knows how to do it. Or atleast the people I allways get.

I got one the other day.

BD King said:
Ask for a no gyro asr.

That sounds kinda cool...flew an instrument flight about 3 weeks ago for the syllabus here and asked for no-gyro vectors for one approach...got the "unable" which was fine, but I always thought it would be cool...

Hopefully I'll be doing a late night flight here shortly and can get no-gyro vectors

-mini

Try flying a no-gyro ASR/PAR in a formation approach on the WING.

...those are fun :)

Oh, and then try it from the back seat. Oh joy :)

Key West has one. It gets used quite frequently when the wx dictates. No ILS available, I think the ASR gets you lower than the NDB A, and not as large a rate of descent needed to get to MDA in a "short" horizontal space.

Latest resources

Back