Aspen VFR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

asolo

I can't get an IFR reservation into Aspen. On a clear day, how hard is it to get in there? Do the controllers give you any crap?! I have to pick up my pax at 9:00 in the morning tomorrow (sat) Thanks in adavance

Great question, ya know pre 911 you could fly to JFK/LGA/ORD with out a slot as long as you land VFR, perfectly legal but that was pre 911 I don't know if it has changed. Anybody know if that will help him out?

Any of the reservatiosn fields are busy enough that you really don't need to try to circumvent the system by sneaking in VFR. That's why there's a slot system. The ramp is crowded enough as it is, aspen being one way in one way out with constant traffic, you could try showing up VFR, but you probably shouldn't.

I've seen a few folks over the years who thought they were smarter than the system...when it was working for them, they were happy to cooperate, but the moment they thought they could do better, they'd cancel IFR and try to go it on their own. The system works because of cooperation. If you can't get a slot, then try Eagle. If you can't ge that, try Rifle. If you can't get in there, have them drive to GJT.

THanks. That's what thought would be the answer. Got them to drive up to EGE in the morning. Thanks for the help.

Commercial aircraft have to get IFR reservations? Back in '03, a buddy of mine and I took a Seminole there IFR and didn't do anything beyond simply file the flightplan. Weird...

Wierd indeed. Did your buddy make this flight during the winter months in a Seminole into Aspen, when the STMP program is in effect? If so, not smart, and doubtful, too.

The reservation slot system applies to everyone arriving under IFR. You really don't want to depend on being able to go in VFR during the winter months, even though weather can at times be excellent and clear VMC. Due to the traffic and the high useage of the field, VFR isn't a good idea in the winter months, and the traffic mangement is based on everyone participating.

You can read more about it at:

http://www.fly.faa.gov/estmp/index.html

Traditionally, the large fractional operators tend to hog up all the reservations as quickly as they can each day to ensure they can meet their passenger demands. Accordingly, get your slot as soon as able, else you may not make it there at all.

Wierd indeed. Did your buddy make this flight during the winter months in a Seminole into Aspen, when the STMP program is in effect? If so, not smart, and doubtful, too.

The reservation slot system applies to everyone arriving under IFR. You really don't want to depend on being able to go in VFR during the winter months, even though weather can at times be excellent and clear VMC. Due to the traffic and the high useage of the field, VFR isn't a good idea in the winter months, and the traffic mangement is based on everyone participating.

You can read more about it at:

http://www.fly.faa.gov/estmp/index.html

Traditionally, the large fractional operators tend to hog up all the reservations as quickly as they can each day to ensure they can meet their passenger demands. Accordingly, get your slot as soon as able, else you may not make it there at all.

Ahh, I see how we did it. We went in mid November before the program went into effect.

I agree it is bad for everyone to cheat the system, screws evryone and that is true in Aspen. I am curious if it applies to STMP s like it did slots. I had a trip to JFK years ago and could not get a slot. I had a visit with a controller who said it was legal to shoot an approach and land without a slot as long as the landing was legal VFR. I ended up getting a slot last minute, would not have done it, not a chance, but interesting to know you could. Can it be done on a STMP?. Don't go blasting me, I am just wondering.

I don't see anything particularly "bad" about going into Aspen VFR during "slot season." It's done all the time by piston pilots who wouldn't be able to get up to the MEAs needed to fly IFR to begin with.

Of course, there are two practical considerations:

1. There is always the chance of being told to go away or remain clear for a substantial amount of time.

2. Too many aircraft doing it and causing a problem will likely result in greater restrictions anyway.

I popped over the hill from Eagle and dropped in there VFR this summer. Yes, you can fly VFR, and no, the STMP program doesn't apply to VFR. However, the slot program is there for a reason. There's typically a very steady stream of traffic in and out, and it's not the best place to choose for VFR flight operations.

Add to that the fact that weather there can change suddenly, and once it does the ability to remain VFR becomes very skethy...plus the constant traffic density there, and you're best served going elsewhere if you're going VFR. Particularly if you're doing it to buck the system and get in without a slot. Very poor form, very inconsiderate, good way to cause problems for others, and potentially a definite safety issue, too. Pick a field which isn't STMP...if you're headed to that neck of the woods, you're much better served to try GJT instead, and drive up. It's not that far, and it's a nice drive. Most of the time.

Latest resources

Back