• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aspen Slope 2% ???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lead, I think we agree on 91-- if you can make it with all engines running and you don't crash if one fails, you are legal (not necessarily smart).

I also think we agree on escape procedures-- sounds like a very good idea, and if I am ever so lucky as to get back into an aircraft that goes to ASE occasionally I am going to look into it.

Finally, you probably are correct on Ultranav. It has been a while since I've used it, and I recall it properly computing obstacle clearance gradients in the 50 (and not doing it properly in the Lear), but I certainly could be wrong.

Where we disagree, then, is 135. Specifically, 135.379. Does being able to comply with the obstacle DP climb gradient with an engine out equal complying with 135.379? I would say it does.

Is there another means of complying with 135.379 other than meeting the DP climb gradient or having an escape procedure?

EDIT: Or are you arguing that 135.379 doesn't require you to clear obstacles with an engine out?

Last edited:
Incidentally, with regard to ASE specifically, my obsolete at-home Jepps state that the Aspen 2 departure requires EITHER weather of 5000/5 OR a climb gradient of 950'/NM (15.8%). The Lindz 4 departure requires EITHER 3100/3 OR 460'/nm (7.7%).

So, if the weather is better than 3100' and 3 miles, and you are doing the Lindz 4, all you need to be legal is the minimum climb gradient required by certification for your aircraft.

Latest resources

Back