Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dinger

due for recurrent.
Hey guys...October trip scheduled for Japan, Shanghai, Singapore and Perth. I haven't done that side of the world in GA yet, so any helpful hints and things to watch out for would be appreciated.

What type aircraft and who will be your handling agent?

Okay, I've flown in the same areas and first thing is to get some good international training, especially the China segment. I would recommend the smaller GA airport in Singapore, dang can't remember the name, I'll look it up or Universal knows about it, an ex-RAF base. A lot easier place to clear customs. One word of advice, no instrument approaches and the departure is a bit tricky to stay in the airspace confines required by departure. Just keep the airspeed down and you should be okay.

Most ATC controllers at the major cities and en-route in China speak very good English, at least in my experience. You will be talking to Oakland Center all the way across the Pacific.

There is a lot of great food in China and Singapore. Don't pass up the chance to have a drink at the 'Long Bar' at the Raffles Hotel in Singapore. Also lot of great restaurants and bars along the river. I usually stay at the Marriott in Singapore, but there are a lot of really nice hotels there. Most people you will meet in Singapore speak English, same with Australia, okay just kidding about Australia :p .

More later, still mad at myself not remembering the name of that airport in Singapore.

Oh, one more thing, you must have visas for Australia. Easy to get, but everyone on board must have one. (To tell the truth if you don't have them they probably will give them to you on arrival, but it will really make them mad at you. So just get them ahead of time.)

Last edited:
asia trip

Seletar airbase is the GA airport in Singapore, Universal has its office there, Evon is the little chinese Singaporian who runs it. Study the approach charts well, speak slowly on the radio if you think you have to, straight aeronautical phraiseology, No slang, good ID bagges. Most of the gound handlers are good, but always double check. Friendly folks in Malaysia, Singapore, have not flown into China except for Hong Kong. Just remember that the locals do not think like you, and all pictures must be clear, do not take it for granted they know what you mean.

Great food in Singapore and Malaysia, good beer in OZ, China is always good I imagine.

x Man
11 years in Singapore, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia:)

Last edited:
X-man, great reply, said very well. The biggest problem I see with crews traveling this part of the world is they expect everything to be just like home, people think different ways, not necessarily the wrong way. Be patient and give yourself enough time to have a snag or two. I have been into the "Main" airport (WSSS?) in Sing many times with no troubles you just have to understand the heavy traffic times and best time to go in and out if it matches your owners schedule.

Most of all have a blast and enjoy, its a really nice part of the World. If you get to Australia you may not want to come home!!! :)

Make sure to bring your insecticide if going into Australia. Spray it around the door then spray the rest outside and keep the empty can to show quarantine when you land in Australia. If you dont they will spray it when you arrive. Not good. You can find it from many places. I believe its the red can you need. Not the blue thats for cargo bins. I might have my colors reversed. Its been two months since I was there so forgive me. Have a good trip. Seletar in Singapore is much better than Changi.

All above is good advice. Except that AQIS [Aus quarantine] always ask for the emply can and I always say - take a look in the cabin - if i used a whole can we'd all be dead... They are not the brightest sparks...

Be careful in China - the handling is ok but make sure you get all your entry permits/ visas etc before you go.

If anyone tries to tell you that you need a security program to enter Australia let me know - it's NOT required although some agents will try and sell you one...

All above is good advice. Except that AQIS [Aus quarantine] always ask for the empty can and I always say - take a look in the cabin - if i used a whole can we'd all be dead... They are not the brightest sparks...

There is an old trick that I always use; empty the spray can until about an 1/8 or less of the contents are left. Then empty the remaining spray in the cabin, most near the door, just before you open it after you land and hand the now empty can to the inspectors. This has always worked for me.

Latest resources

Back