Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Duderino

You Are What You Is
Though not my first time into ASE, this will be my first as Captain. Any pointers will be appreciated. I have read the ASE thread that was here recently, and it helped with the technicalities with DP's and single engine(still confused about Vac legalities.
Can some of you GIV guys give me pointers on the missed, and the FMS LNAV operations. Also I will be coming in from the west. Is it possible to have approach bring me over DBL from the north so I can intercept and go straight in. Also will they have me at 14000 for a decent length of time prior to DBL so I can get slowed down and fully configured without rushing it.
Any problems with landing at Max Landing?
What about my alternates. Rifle, I hear is the best in the area. Any pointers there, never had to go.
We'll be there in a week or so. Any idea about the weather patterns this time of year(i.e. Thunderstorms in the afternoon, etc...).

Thank You.

Duderino said:
Can some of you GIV guys give me pointers on the missed, and the FMS LNAV operations. Also I will be coming in from the west. Is it possible to have approach bring me over DBL from the north so I can intercept and go straight in. Also will they have me at 14000 for a decent length of time prior to DBL so I can get slowed down and fully configured without rushing it.
Any problems with landing at Max Landing?
What about my alternates. Rifle, I hear is the best in the area. Any pointers there, never had to go.
We'll be there in a week or so. Any idea about the weather patterns this time of year(i.e. Thunderstorms in the afternoon, etc...).
First of all, get it slowed down. As you approach DBL they're going to start vectoring you at about 16,000' MSL. Most guys (myself included) are used to screaming along at warp factor 3 or 4 at that altitude so it will take a conscious effort. They tend to turn you on to the approach pretty close to DBL, but it's not a problem if you're slowed down and configured. If you're coming in from the west you can expect getting cleared to either Truel or Pitmn intersection prior to DBL. The Roaring Fork Visual is pretty straight forward; again, speed and configuration is the key.

This time of year, you'll get a lot of afternoon buildups and it's been pretty warm. Like I said in some previous posts - check your approach climb charts before you make the decision to go in at max landing weight.

We go in there several times per month, year round. My advise on the missed? It gets real serious anytime you don't have the runway insight as you pass DBL. I can't say that I'd be real excited about having to execute the published missed at DBL D11.0 and 10200'. At that point, it's critical that you don't dawdle, aren't sloppy and climb like hell. :D

One thing to think about...

Sometimes they'll have you circle to 33. You need to be very careful about what you'd do if you lost the runway under those conditions. Get yourself a sectional chart and familiarize yourself with the area.

As far as the actual landing. If there's any traffic at all you can plan on having one or perhaps two aircraft departing on 33 as you are on final to 15. The controllers are good at this, just follow their directions and things will workout.

'Sled

Good Info

Sled had some good info but I'd like to add a point or two. First, this time of year EXPECT the Roaring Fork visual. If you've never done while approaching from the west get it slowed down way early as you'll be busy looking for landmarks other than the runway/airport. Second, EXPECT to be held high (16 to 18k) until the last minute especially if its busy. Third, if entering from the west on the visual, stay over the highway coming up the valley from Glenwood and comply with the recommended altitudes. It helps with the Lindz departures.

Now I don't "Jack" about the G-IV but I believe it is a Cat D aircraft? Just did the circle to 33 the other day (CAVU) in a 900 and couldn't imagine doing it in a Cat D airplane at Max Landing wt. It can be a pretty tight turn from base to final and you have know room if you overshoot. Just another thing to think about.

Fuel is expensive at ASE but its still much cheaper than anything that could happen (ie. blown tire etc) if you poon the approach at max wt. If was my first time as the Capt. I'd go nice and light.

Disclaimer: This advice is only worth what you paid for it.

ditto all the above!

why would you land at MAX landing at an 8000ft elevation airport? especially one like Aspen? to save the company money?....nah...show up pretty LIGHT (I dont give a $hit if fuel is pricy, we will make our money elsewhere.)

See down the valley from Red Table (thems my mins)

day only (thats in writing)

be configured at the top (fully configured) this seems to be the key.

watch the tailwind landings!

watch the speed! I personally prefer the boards slightly cracked and the power a little up with the autothrottle at ref+15-20 until short final. Being fast, diving, and idle is the worst! (but easy to happen)

Tstorms are normal in the afternoon, but they seem to bang around up near Red Table more than down the valley.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Again, all great information. Used to take the Hawker in there and the best advice is to be FULLY configured by the time you cross the ridge to the north over Red Table VOR...

We use ALLIX as a missed approach point and program the missed approach procedure in the FMS from ALLIX. If no see rwy by ALLIX then it simplifies the workload. If see, then proceed visually and land. Fully configured to land at DBL.

Last edited:
Gulfstream 200 said:
I personally prefer the boards slightly cracked and the power a little up with the autothrottle at ref+15-20 until short final.

You can't have the 'boards slightly cracked' with the gear down in a GIV - you'd know that if you flew a Gulfstream :)

But seriously, consider the fact that you get high idle when you flaps move past 22 deg. If you get full flaps early this won't catch you off guard.

Ace

Ace-of-the-Base said:
You can't have the 'boards slightly cracked' with the gear down in a GIV - you'd know that if you flew a Gulfstream :)

But seriously, consider the fact that you get high idle when you flaps move past 22 deg. If you get full flaps early this won't catch you off guard.

Ace

someday..dear god..someday I will fly a 70's technology Gulfstream IV.

till then I just slum.....(and dont go to ASE anymore!)

:D .

Last edited:
What 'fido said. Plus, even at ALLIX it seems like you are looking straight down at the runway. We usually do a whifferdill to the right up the valley and left turn back--and that's in the 550. Never done it in the IV.

Circling to 33 is not an approved proceedure for our department. Go to Rifle and take the heat from the pax.

G200 is right, too. Go light. I don't mind publicity--just not that kind... ;) TC

Never flown a GIV (flown IN one, but that doesn't count) and I'm not a captain, so take this for what it's worth...it seem to be inline with what others are saying.
Fully configured by DBL, no exceptions.
If the rwy isn't in sight by (and you can't proceed visually from) ALLIX, go missed, land somewhere else.

Latest resources

Back