ASA's S. Hall flying as a CA.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
regionaltard said:
The extent of your ignorance is almost incomprehensible to me. Seniority is the foundation of every contract in this industry. Dumb stunts like this that subvert the seniority system have implications that go way beyond an unqualified Bozo dressing up and playing pilot once a month.

Why is it ignorant to not mind if a management pilot comes out and flies the line once or twice a month? Personally I would be happy to let him have one of my trips, it's not like I'm not getting paid for it. And the only way that management is going to find out how screwed up things are around here is if they come out and see it for themselves. They certainly don't take our word for it. As far as seniority goes, if he leaves management, then he can go to the seat that his seniority can hold. In the meantime, he isn't taking anyones position, or screwing up anyones upgrade opportunity, so it doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things.

As far a a grievence goes, save it for something that matters, and something that affects us as a pilot group. If we file a grievence every time someone in management farts, it becomes like the little boy that cried wolf.

IFlyFL410 said:
Any other ASA guys out there aware of this? S. Hall, from over at the G.O., who was hired only in May of this year, was sent through training and typed on the 50, and picks up trips at will as a CA out on the line. His senority number is in the 1,500's!!! This has grievence written all over it.....who all is with me?

Good God man, relax. This is not an issue to be worried about. The CPs pick up trips all the time...the captain whose trip it was simply gets to a) go home early and b) get paid to do nothing. Finally, c) we all win if these persons see the "real world" of line operation, and bring about reality-based changes.

There are many things to be pissed off about, but grieving this is pennywise and poundfoolish.

I just hope he takes one of my trips, so I can go home!

Calm down!

I FLY - I care because he's taking away a CA's slot from someone, possilbly me. How do you know I wasn't next in line for upgrade?

Regionaltard - The extent of your ignorance is almost incomprehensible to me. Seniority is the foundation of every contract in this industry. Dumb stunts like this that subvert the seniority system have implications that go way beyond an unqualified Bozo dressing up and playing pilot once a month.

Come on guys! You two are not that incoherent, are you? As ATR and the others have stated, he is the "System Chief Pilot". Do you have any clue what that job description entails and what he is or is not authorized to do? He is SUPPOSED to fly the line, and I am happy he is doing it. His name did not come out on any bid sheets or prelims, he did not hold you or anyone back, nore does any of the ATL or SLC based Chief Pilots. Unlike his predecessors, this individual is proving to us that he in fact can pass the type, has the ability to fly the line as a captain, and can say that he has observed things first hand as well as acquire some ammunition if he needs it. Give the guy a chance!

Metroman said:
As an ex C8 pilot, you guys should consider yourselves very lucky to have him working for ASA.

People change when upper management changes also. He does what he is told. That is the bottom line.

Tim47SIP said:
I FLY - I care because he's taking away a CA's slot from someone, possilbly me. How do you know I wasn't next in line for upgrade?

Regionaltard - The extent of your ignorance is almost incomprehensible to me. Seniority is the foundation of every contract in this industry. Dumb stunts like this that subvert the seniority system have implications that go way beyond an unqualified Bozo dressing up and playing pilot once a month.

Come on guys! You two are not that incoherent, are you? As ATR and the others have stated, he is the "System Chief Pilot". Do you have any clue what that job description entails and what he is or is not authorized to do? He is SUPPOSED to fly the line, and I am happy he is doing it. His name did not come out on any bid sheets or prelims, he did not hold you or anyone back, nore does any of the ATL or SLC based Chief Pilots. Unlike his predecessors, this individual is proving to us that he in fact can pass the type, has the ability to fly the line as a captain, and can say that he has observed things first hand as well as acquire some ammunition if he needs it. Give the guy a chance!

Yea, but he did fail the type ride the first time. Hopefully the line flying will get him up to speed on the RJ.

OK, fine.....he can fly the line and see what all goes on out there and naybe improve a think or two along the way. However, he should be doing it in the right seat. Even if he is System Chief, that doesn't mean he knows how to fly the airplane or make better decisions than the FO's he's flying with that have been here 3-5 years. Being here only 5 months, he would be better off flying with CA's if he wanted to learn both how to "be a CA at ASA" and also see the operational issues. But to come in and get typed out of no where and all of a sudden start making CA type decisions, especially with winter coming up, is just strange, I think. But, if he can do it, more power to him I suppose.

IFlyFL410 said:
OK, fine.....he can fly the line and see what all goes on out there and naybe improve a think or two along the way. However, he should be doing it in the right seat. Even if he is System Chief, that doesn't mean he knows how to fly the airplane or make better decisions than the FO's he's flying with that have been here 3-5 years. Being here only 5 months, he would be better off flying with CA's if he wanted to learn both how to "be a CA at ASA" and also see the operational issues. But to come in and get typed out of no where and all of a sudden start making CA type decisions, especially with winter coming up, is just strange, I think. But, if he can do it, more power to him I suppose.

I'm sure ***** will do fine as captain here. This is why I have had it with ALPA. Your damned if you do and damned if you don't. Our previous management pilots were criticized for not being in touch with day to day operations and the new guy is criticized for trying to get in touch. The Chicago Express pilots say SH is a great guy. I suspect he will be a better system chief pilot than we have ever had. Give him a chance and let him fly the line. Heck he can have my trips! For you negative guys - get a life! Welcome aboard SH!

Last edited by a moderator:
IFlyFL410 said:
But to come in and get typed out of no where and all of a sudden start making CA type decisions, especially with winter coming up, is just strange, I think. But, if he can do it, more power to him I suppose.

From what you're typing I get the idea you have no clue about the responsiblities of the CP, or your CP in question.
The guy was a Captain for a former airline while you were still in diapers.

Yea, but he did fail the type ride the first time. Hopefully the line flying will get him up to speed on the RJ.

Did not know that, but it does not change anything!! He still did it, and did you get to study just what you were doing or did you have a CP job to perform as well?? Give this guy a chance!!!

Latest resources

Back