• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atrdriver

Living in Paradise
atrdriver said:
ASA shows off by being worst in baggage handling, with 17.43/1000 bags mishandled. Big Surprise. I also like the comment about the airlines not knowing how far they can push their passengers. Maybe if the passengers paid what their tickets were worth they wouldn't get pushed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20060403/ap_tr_ge/travel_brief_airline_quality_1

I wish that were true, but down the hall there is another airline charging less, and misplacing bags at the lowest rate in the country.

That's in 2005. There's always next year (this year) and with the way it's been going on the ATL ramp lately, I'm sure we can improve that number by at least 5. That's right, we'll be up to about 22.5/1000 in 2006 :)

ASA's bag problem relates to the size of Delta's Atlanta operation and the fact that people use the internet to book 30 to 40 minute turns through the World's busiest airport. A frequent flier might be able to run from D to E in 10 minutes and be there at 15 minutes prior to departure, but that doesn't mean his bag can make the trip that fast.

Throw in a little weather and any airline with an operation the size of Delta's in Atlanta is going to get "thrown on its ear" to quote Boyd.

When Delta skids up to an ASA airplane during the push back holding up 4 fingers and making the bag sign - it is not ASA's fault. I can't see a lot of improvement coming down the pike, unless we start holding flights for late Delta bags.

Last edited:
Good point about the passenger being able to run, but when's the last time you saw them actually close the gate 15, 10, or even 5 min prior to departure?
My personal favorite is when you're already an hour late for Mx and they still try to put more bags on you as you're being pushed back. All I can say to that is WTFO?

-Blucher:smash:

Blucher said:
Good point about the passenger being able to run, but when's the last time you saw them actually close the gate 15, 10, or even 5 min prior to departure?
-Blucher:smash:
Delta closes the gates 15 early because the gate inputs the load manifest information into the computer. Unlike ASA, they don't just throw crap at the airplane and make the crews figure it out.

Last edited:
~~~^~~~ said:
Delta closes the gates early because the gate does the load manifest. They don't just throw crap at the airplane and make the crews figure it out, like ASA does.

True. I thought we were talking about ASA though. According to those exciting on-time cards they gave out with the "time-line," we too should be closing the gate sometime prior to departure time.

-Blucher:erm:

blueridge71 said:
WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WHOOOOO!

;)

LMAO!!!

Our slogan? "We're not happy till you're not happy."
"Flying for business is none of our business."

Latest resources

Back