ASA vs. ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PingPong said:
If you were offered a class date with ExpressJet and ASA starting on the same day, which one would you take?
Factors:
Time on reserve
Upgrade time
Which is more stable (less chance of getting furloughed)

I am looking for your honest opinion and don't want a bunch of people hatin on each other.

Anyone have info on crashpads in Atlanta (Price and distance from airport)

Thanks a lot to my fellow aviators!

Back in August 2000, I was offered a position at XJT (then COEX) and ASA with class dates within 1 week of each other.

I live in Atlanta, I choose XJT. What does that say? If I had to do it all over with the hindsight I now have, I would do exactly the same thing. For me, it was an easy decision. Others may have chosen differently!

Go where you'll be happy

DO NOT chase upgrade. DO NOT chase reserve times. Making a decision for going to an airline is completely foolish. That's because those are variables which are completely out of your control. Honestly, everything about an airline is mostly out of your control. But, things that won't quickly change: Crew bases. Corporate culture. Contracts (ASA in negotiations, see how that goes after Comair). Aircraft types. Schedules. Benefits.

You really should be looking to find a company that you will be happy at for the next 3-5 years, regardless of upgrade or reserve. A company with a corporate mindset that coeincides with your own. An aircraft that you would be interested flying for some time (minor consideration). Crew bases that would be easily commutable for where you'd like to live, or a base you wouldn't mind living in. Schedules and a contract which is attractive. Strong benefits.

Who knows where any of us will be in 5 years. We could all be working for the same company after we all merge. Or some companies could have gone out of business. The fact is that you never know WHAT will happen. So go somewhere that you think you can be happy. You'll be there for a while, no point in chasing a seat. I'd rather be on reserve at a decent company than holding a line at a crappy one!

A plus,

Le Pilote

Reserve time at ASA seems to be dropping; FWIW, I recently flew with a 5 month FO who was holding a relief line.

SkyBoy1981 said:
I wanted the ATL base, but time on reserve is much less at XJT (usually 6 months or so)

I started training at ASA in August and came on-line in November. I got a relief line for February and a nap (CDO) line for March. So I spent 3 months on reserve.

Josh M.

Le Pilote said:
DO NOT chase upgrade. DO NOT chase reserve times. Making a decision for going to an airline is completely foolish. That's because those are variables which are completely out of your control. Honestly, everything about an airline is mostly out of your control. But, things that won't quickly change: Crew bases. Corporate culture. Contracts (ASA in negotiations, see how that goes after Comair). Aircraft types. Schedules. Benefits.

You really should be looking to find a company that you will be happy at for the next 3-5 years, regardless of upgrade or reserve. A company with a corporate mindset that coeincides with your own. An aircraft that you would be interested flying for some time (minor consideration). Crew bases that would be easily commutable for where you'd like to live, or a base you wouldn't mind living in. Schedules and a contract which is attractive. Strong benefits.

Who knows where any of us will be in 5 years. We could all be working for the same company after we all merge. Or some companies could have gone out of business. The fact is that you never know WHAT will happen. So go somewhere that you think you can be happy. You'll be there for a while, no point in chasing a seat. I'd rather be on reserve at a decent company than holding a line at a crappy one!

A plus,

Le Pilote

One of the best posts I've seen re: this subject. EXPECT reserve times and upgrade times to change. A year from now the picture at XJT will look quite different, same goes for ASA. Long term, look for the QOL based on the contract, domiciles, and the parent regardless of reserve and upgrade times.

FWIW...

1)ASA is in prolonged contract negotiations with no end in sight. (We are probably over a year away still, and there is a good chance we will strike.) If we go on strike and you have been here less than a year (as a probationary new hire) the union cannot protect you, so if you strike you will get fired. Better come up with a really good doctors' note and be sick for that time period. If you cross a picket line as a new hire you will work at ASA for the rest of your career, because no other US airline will hire you.

2)If I had gone to ExpressJet when I had the chance (I came here instead) I would have made captain 2 years earlier and would be close to leaving there by now.

3)Also, its hard to say if the rumors are true, but its all over the news that we may get sold in the next few months. Delta needs money so badly that it is willing to "sell the cows to save the farm".

4)It is true that management is on a mission to make our lives a living hell until negotiations are over. (This part I cannot for the life of my figure out- reverse psychology?) True, getting all of the pilots mad at you slows down negotiations, but also makes a strike that much more likely. 90% of us are willing to strike if needed.

I don't really know that much about the other company, but if i were in your shoes I would have to have a really good reason to come here. Your girlfriend or boyfriend would need to be pretty good in bed to move to ATL and put up with the ASA way of life.

If we get bought out, no guarantee that any of us would have jobs at ASA- we probably would, but who knows.
Just food for thought.

Always better to have two offers than only one! Perhaps you can stagger the class dates so if you don't like the first choice or have problems with something can just go to the next class date.

Good luck!

Only problem I could see with XJT is what will happen in '07, and what happens when all the folks with rights to go to CAL make their decision. I think things could slow down quite a bit in the near future. That being said I honestly believe they will be growing in some way, shape or form in the next 2 years, but I have nothing more than a gut feeling to back that up.

You will probably be happy at either place, nice equipment, good people etc. Just pick where you want to live for the next 5 years.

ASA has never furloughed.. Coex did in 2001.. I know the circumstances are totaly different for both airlines (coex flowback clause), but that is one thing to consider. ASA did not furlough after 9/11. I was furloughed from Coex, and was hired by ASA and ASA let me keep my recall rights and SR at Coex.. when I was recalled, I turned down the recall..

I was in a very similar position as you.. this is how I made my decision:

I did not base it on the "cyristal ball" I based in on current facts of the day when I made the decision.. Coex was still in negotiations that were going nowhere, I would have had to go back on 1st year pay and probation, and I would have been EWR based initially.. At the time, coex was sending out strike ballots.. I decided to stay at ASA.. Had i taken the recall I would be upgrading to CPTN this year.. But now I am at ASA, Have been on Reserve for 3 years and am stuck on the ATR..

The managment at Coex is not any better than ASA.. they are all crooks. Both airlines are growing and both have a very good niche in the regional market.

Tough call, but my vote would be for ASA!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back