ASA vs. ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PingPong

If you were offered a class date with ExpressJet and ASA starting on the same day, which one would you take?
Factors:
Time on reserve
Upgrade time
Which is more stable (less chance of getting furloughed)

I am looking for your honest opinion and don't want a bunch of people hatin on each other.

Anyone have info on crashpads in Atlanta (Price and distance from airport)

Thanks a lot to my fellow aviators!

Go to XJET. (Period).

PingPong said:
If you were offered a class date with ExpressJet and ASA starting on the same day, which one would you take?
Factors:
Time on reserve
Upgrade time
Which is more stable (less chance of getting furloughed)

I am looking for your honest opinion and don't want a bunch of people hatin on each other.

Anyone have info on crashpads in Atlanta (Price and distance from airport)

Thanks a lot to my fellow aviators!

time on reserve at Express is going to be around 3-5 months. My seniority went up 61 numbers this past month and there are 130 people in front of me to get lines. Not long on reserve at all.

Upgrade time varies based on who you talk to. I would be surprised if it were less than two years.

Job security is excellent and the next big year we have is 2007. Until then everything is very stable and even after that it more than likely(99.99%) remains the same.

Had a girl in my newhire class who was dating an ASA pilot and she never said anything bad about the company. He seemed pretty happy there. I would choose express though, everything from the facilities to the people is top notch and I am having the time of my life! Good luck

I was faced with the same decision. I received a conditional letter of employment from ASA and a week later interviewed with XJT and was offered a class date on the spot, which I took. I wanted the ATL base, but time on reserve is much less at XJT (usually 6 months or so) plus the company for now appears to be growing and quite stable. Stability is something that shouldn't be taken for granted in this business as it can change overnight, but XJT is hiring a lot of pilots so that means more below me on the list anyway. Upgrade times....who knows. Right now junior CA's at XJT have been here for about 4 years, give or take. No one knows what a new hire today's upgrade will be at any company really..its just dependent on too many factors that no one can predict. You'll hear numbers thrown around here and there, but I'd take them with a grain of salt. XJT is a great company and the training is excellent. From what I've heard from friends at ASA the pilot group is great, but management really leaves a lot to be desired. Best of luck in whatever you choose.

Last edited:
ASA is run by an imcompetant horde, tied to a nearly bankrupt parent. ASA does not value it's employees one bit, and is actively at war with the pilot group.

GO TO XJET, you WILL be happier.

Very hard decision. Looking at the two companies today I would have to say XJET. Much more growth than ASA. My training experience w/XJET was great, but I have a friend w/ASA who has no complaints about theirs. I would have to say XJET though. Good Luck wherever you decide.

Here we go again. Just consider yourself lucky to have two different offers at the same time now day and age. Having said that go for what you think that is good for you. Dont ask for people's help on this board to make up your mind and later regret it. GO FOR WHAT YOU THINK THAT IS GOOD FOR YOU.

SkyBoy1981 said:
I was faced with the same decision. I received a conditional letter of employment from ASA and a week later interviewed with XJT and was offered a class date on the spot, which I took. I wanted the ATL base, but time on reserve is much less at XJT (usually 6 months or so) plus the company for now appears to be growing and quite stable.

I spent 1 month on reserve with ASA and then got a relief line. A couple classes before me spent 3 months on reserve, so it will vary. The people are great to fly with and the training is top notch. Haven't been here long enough to b1tch about anything really.

There are some good points made here, but you will need to make your decision based on all these factors including QOL, pay, etc. As you know we have been in contract negotiations for a little more than 2.5 years now and with all the changes taken place within the Delta family who knows what will happen. Rumors are flying all over the place.

We are getting a total of 25 a/c this year, receiving 2 per month (3 in august) from last I heard. We have 5 or 6 on property already. Training from what I hear is scheduled through the end of the year, with one class a month, 20 per class. Training info is a couple of months old, but is probably still accurate. Can anyone else verify if this is still the case?

Best of luck with your decision.

At the moment XJET looks better. But ask the guys who went to Braniff because they could make Capt quickly. Not long ago Allegheny/USAir was the job to have. Today it seems to be Southwest, Jet Blue and AirTran. Take your best shot and be happy with it. Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back