• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Medeco

SQUIB

June 7, 2006
Dear ASA Pilots,
On May 25, ASA president Bryan LaBrecque met with leaders of the ASA ALPA MEC and members of the ASA
ALPA Negotiating Committee to brief the pilot leadership on the decisions that were pending regarding aircraft
allocations that may well determine the future of ASA and all of us who work here.
We felt it was critical to ensure that the ALPA leaders responsible for negotiations were fully informed and
understood the importance of reaching an agreement on a competitive contract amendment and the possible
ramifications associated with falling short of that objective. I am writing to you today because it is equally
important that all of you also understand how these decisions may affect you and all of us who work for ASA.
Based on the exchange of proposals at the last negotiating sessions, the subsequent notice from the National
Mediation Board that mediation meetings have been recessed indefinitely, combined with recent changes in
Delta’s Network plans, it has been determined that SkyWest Airlines will now be the operating carrier of the
initial deliveries of CRJ900s. Obviously, we had hoped and even announced that ASA was going to get the first
12 or 13 of the CRJ900 deliveries as part of a transfer of the SLC flights to SkyWest Airlines. Our announcement
on May 8 regarding the CRJ900s was based on an assumption that we would very soon have a new contract with
competitive costs.
The fact is that the marketplace dictates to us what our costs must be; we don’t dictate to the marketplace. And,
like it or not, our pilot costs are not competitive in all areas. We believe we can compete and earn business based
on our CRJ200 costs but we must improve our CRJ700 and instructor pilot costs. Without competitive costs for
the CRJ700 and CRJ900, we can’t expect to grow – or even hold our own – as long as there are marketplace
alternatives. If we were the only game in town, we could possibly force higher costs on mainline carriers, but all
of us know this is an extraordinarily competitive business.
Our Delta Connection Agreement (DCA) requires that by year three (2008), we must have average costs of all
DCI carriers and that by year five (2010), we must have the second lowest costs of all DCI carriers. It is easy, but
not realistic, to say that someone other than the pilots have to face that reality because the pilots weren’t part of
the “negotiations” for that agreement. We could either abide by the terms of the contract offered by Delta or look
elsewhere for another mainline partner. And, who believes we could get any better deal somewhere else,
particularly with costs that were not completely competitive? Our future is tied largely to our contract with Delta,
although with fully competitive costs, we potentially could establish partnerships with other carriers that could
provide other growth opportunities.
Delta has made it clear that feed from regional carriers is now a “commodity” and the carriers who can deliver the
service for the lowest costs will get the business. DCI carriers are really just “suppliers” and that is a harsh reality
that I don’t like and I am sure you don’t like. But it is our reality. Safety and quality are a given, Delta and other
carriers assume that we will provide both of these just like other regional operators. Cost is the decision maker,
the deciding factor, not only at Delta but also at other major carriers who we hope to do business with in the
future.
Page Two
June 7, 2006
So, what were our options? Bryan laid out for the MEC and Negotiating Committee what the company believed
were our four options and what the results might be of each. At the time of Bryan’s meeting, all four options
were still viable, but we have lost the opportunity to act quickly. Bryan made it clear, and I agree, that you, the
pilots of ASA, will ultimately determine which path we follow.​
•​
Option 1. We could have reached an agreement quickly that would make ASA immediately competitive
with other DCI carriers and enable the company to achieve the specific cost targets contained in our DCA.
With competitive CRJ700 and instructor pilot costs, I firmly believe the first 12 or 13 CRJ900s would
have come to us and we would be in a great position to fight to get more of the remaining units on firm
order. And, it would have also positioned the company to compete for business with other carriers.
Unfortunately, we didn’t get the quick agreement and we are now in recess.

•​
Option 2. We could get an agreement that will make ASA competitive over time (the next 12 to 18
months) and meets the cost targets of the DCA. We might get some of the future CRJ900s but the
business case for us to get only a few of them is not very strong. And, during the time we remain
uncompetitive, we face the potential loss of some CRJ700s above the number currently operating in the
SLC hub.

•​
Option 3. If we had gotten an agreement, but with rates that are not competitive now or over time, it
would have made it virtually impossible for the company to achieve the DCA cost targets. In that event,
it is unlikely that we will get any of the CRJ900 deliveries, at least none of the 17 currently on firm order
for delivery in 2006 and 2007. And, it is certainly possible that we will lose CRJ700s above the number
currently operating in the SLC hub.

•​
Option 4. We could reach an agreement after continuing negotiations beyond the next few weeks or even
months that would make ASA either competitive or uncompetitive with other DCI carriers. The ultimate
outcome would dictate the longer term future, but we most certainly would lose in the short-term with the
CRJ900s going to SkyWest Airlines at the very least.
Let me leave no doubt that the company clearly would have preferred option number one. If we’re going to be
successful, we know where we have to be with our costs. Our DCA and the current business environment make
these clear. We have very little leeway in how we get there and the longer it takes to get there, the greater the
potential of at least a reduction in future opportunities for new airplanes, new agreements and growth.
Once again, I believe that it is vital that there be no misconceptions about what is at RISK here and the
ramifications of the decisions we make. We have an opportunity to do what will produce the best possible
outcome for the company, ASA pilots and all ASA employees. The faster we become competitive, the better our
opportunities for continued future growth and success together. I don’t like the prospects that we face with
uncompetitive costs.
Most sincerely,
Charlie Tutt
Vice President, Flight Operations

Too bad he can't understand that the amount of gas that is wasted right now would more than pay for the cost a new contract. Or the amount of money the company is spending on grievance hearing. Or the amount of money wasted by scheduling by not doing their jobs right. No, just come after the pilots for all your needs.

This is insulting to ASA pilots and every pilot group out there.

Thanks to all the previous pilot groups who fell for the same crap and started this fall, and helped to create the current "market".

Thanks to our local ASA pilot named Joe Merchant/JB who fuels this fire and I am sure helped ASA management to shape the latest scare tactic, by posting so often on this and the ALPA webboards.

I cannot wait to tell KING TUTT to shove this up is ARSE in a very polite and professional way, even though they think we are not worth being paid as professionals.

God Im fuming mad!!!

Give me the strike vote now!!!!!!!!

Medeco

Well, I'm still voting no to pay cuts. If ASA is the profitable unit, even more profitable than SkyWest, why are they cutting our capacity to grow the less profitable unit? I don't buy it. I also don't care if the 900s come or go. The company makes the decisions as to where equipment goes and how best to utilize it. It is absolutely pathetic for them to come to the pilots and tell us it's up to us to help them make the decisions.

If they are so hell bent on these 'here is the truth' letters, why not release what the figures really are. Who's unit cost is lower? Show me the numbers if you really want us to believe you Charlie. We're in negotiations, they use growth carrots, pilot's use strike votes. Stop alienating the pilot group to grow the family. It's simply going to make it worse for everyone involved.

Oh, and congrats to the SkyWest pilot group, now you get to fly 90's for 50 seat rates! How the mighty have fallen. SkyWest used to be one of the more respectable places to work. Now, they simply get used and 'ownt' by their CEO and they're grinning all the way...oh boy, now I can put a bigger sticker on my flight bag!

Last edited:
Whatever----

If this is the case and they are going to transfer assets based on incremental costs then I fully expect that for every 900 or 700 that goes to skywest we will see a 200 come to ASA. Or even better, the eventual transfer of ALL 200 flying to ASA. this will lead to a growth of over 100 airplanes and lots of upgrades and improved schedules.

LOUD AND CLEAR CHARLIE PUTZ----

I DON'T CARE ANYMORE. IF WHAT YOU SAY IS TRUE, then it's great news for ASA... lots of hiring and lots of growth aricraft because in this environment we have to be competitve and if we can't be competitive with the 700 and 900, then we will work our niche and take all the 200's from skywest.

Last edited:
enuffalready said:
If this is the case and they are going to transfer assets based on incremental costs then I fully expect that for every 900 or 700 that goes to skywest we will see a 200 come to ASA. Or even better, the eventual transer of ALL 200 flying to ASA. this will lead to a growth of over 100 airplanes and lots of upgrades and improved schedules.

Exactly. So when is that going to happen? Tell us Charlie? I'm waiting for that 'Letter from my supervisor'.

Just more bulls*!t propaganda and threats that ASA management has to use to compensate for their lack of management skills. I guess you could say it's our company "culture". Nevermind that the money they're trying to sqeeze from you guys is a drop in the bucket to what they could save by running an efficient operation and getting rid of all that "but that's the way we've always done it" mentality of people in key positions!

Just when I was starting to hate the Union again management goes and redeems themselves. SKYW pilots make more than us. They put the memo on FLica under "from your suprvisor"... I thought I was fired but instead read this garbage.
Count me in on the strike I'll be furloughed anyway according to this.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back