ASA Training Question

cbrown1

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 14, 2005
Posts
492
Total Time
5600
I have a few questions abut the way asa does training.
How are the accomidations? Are they double or single and at what hotel?
Is the company Indoc class a hard class? Is the test openbook or from memory?
Same with systems? How indepth do you need to know the systems for the oral?
What kind of questions do you get asked in the oral? Can they ask you about other stuff not covered in the 2 groundschools?


Thanks for the help.
 

Oakum_Boy

supercalifragilistic
Joined
Nov 10, 2003
Posts
2,405
Total Time
24
cbrown1 said:
Is the company Indoc class a hard class? Is the test openbook or from memory?
Same with systems? How indepth do you need to know the systems for the oral?
What kind of questions do you get asked in the oral? Can they ask you about other stuff not covered in the 2 groundschools?


Thanks for the help.

If you're looking for an easy ride, they will pick up on it.
 

atlcrashpad

Can't hold me down
Joined
Apr 20, 2004
Posts
1,309
Total Time
Bling
ASA Training

CBrown1
ASA training is very professional. You will stay at the Redroof Inn across from ASA General Office (GO). Single room, no sharing. Basic indoc is pretty cut and dry. Aircraft training is in depth and they will teach you everything you need to know. It's not easy, but it's not super difficult. If you study and put forth an effort, you will succeed. Good Luck and welcome to the world of seniority.
 

cbrown1

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 14, 2005
Posts
492
Total Time
5600
atlcrashpad said:
CBrown1
ASA training is very professional. You will stay at the Redroof Inn across from ASA General Office (GO). Single room, no sharing. Basic indoc is pretty cut and dry. Aircraft training is in depth and they will teach you everything you need to know. It's not easy, but it's not super difficult. If you study and put forth an effort, you will succeed. Good Luck and welcome to the world of seniority.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it.
 

Palerider957

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 30, 2003
Posts
975
Total Time
1<
atlcrashpad said:
CBrown1
ASA training is very professional. You will stay at the Redroof Inn across from ASA General Office (GO). Single room, no sharing. Basic indoc is pretty cut and dry. Aircraft training is in depth and they will teach you everything you need to know. It's not easy, but it's not super difficult. If you study and put forth an effort, you will succeed. Good Luck and welcome to the world of seniority.
Exactly right. Good attitude is as much a part of completing the program, as is study.
 

buscap

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Posts
999
Total Time
6500
A few more things:

No "tude" while in training. Shut up. Just learn. If there's something you don't like about the training or accomidations, feel free to speak up as a recently minted FO. By the way, the training is VERY good.

The pay and accomidations are not conractual, merely the company's way of attracting good pilots, leftover from a more competitive hiring market.

Don't park a nice car at the Red Roof Inn and be careful. It is a HIGH crime area. Don't be stupid. Oh yeah, don't touch the bedspread, telephone, or remote.
 

hmmurdock

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Posts
187
Total Time
5000+
cbrown1 said:
I have a few questions abut the way asa does training.
How are the accomidations? Are they double or single and at what hotel?
Is the company Indoc class a hard class? Is the test openbook or from memory?
Same with systems? How indepth do you need to know the systems for the oral?
What kind of questions do you get asked in the oral? Can they ask you about other stuff not covered in the 2 groundschools?

Greetings

I agree with others, dont park a nice car at the red roof and be careful walking around the area at night. If you are going to the jet, the oral comes from the questions in the crj study guide they give you. You can answer them yourself, do them in group study, or purchase one of the ones other pilots have already answered typed and bound. Generally, if you can answer ALL the questions in the guide you will do fine on the oral.

Good luck
 

Medeco

SQUIB
Joined
Sep 12, 2002
Posts
1,064
buscap said:
A few more things:

No "tude" while in training. Shut up. Just learn. If there's something you don't like about the training or accomidations, feel free to speak up as a recently minted FO. By the way, the training is VERY good.

The pay and accomidations are not conractual, merely the company's way of attracting good pilots, leftover from a more competitive hiring market.

Don't park a nice car at the Red Roof Inn and be careful. It is a HIGH crime area. Don't be stupid. Oh yeah, don't touch the bedspread, telephone, or remote.
The pay is contractual by a letter of agreement, and the hotel may be a part of that agreement too, I have not read it in a while.
 

buscap

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Posts
999
Total Time
6500
oops

my bad on the pay

I'm a bad pilot, very bad pilot.

Kudos to the union for fighting for it and shame on me for forgetting.
 

av8erab

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 28, 2002
Posts
51
Total Time
6500
Training

Some guys have said that the instructors do use the asa question bank but it is not the only source of questions. Some have their favorite questions so don't just know the question bank. There are some study guides out their that may help.

http://www.crjstudyguide.com
 

AV8700

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2002
Posts
251
Total Time
7000
av8erab said:
Some guys have said that the instructors do use the asa question bank but it is not the only source of questions. Some have their favorite questions so don't just know the question bank. There are some study guides out their that may help.

http://www.crjstudyguide.com

Last I recall, the study guide is the only source of questions.
 

anon

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 26, 2003
Posts
141
Total Time
na
The basic CRJ questions do come from the posted questions on-site. However, the check airman may ask other questions as needed if the applicant demonstrates a weakness in the system.

I do not recommend using after market study guides for the CRJ. ASA will provide you with everything you need to know. I know of at least 2 busted orals where the applicant used incorrect information from outside guides.

Good luck. Study hard, stay caught up with the program and you will do fine.
 

Jungle Prop

Living the dream - NOT
Joined
Nov 28, 2001
Posts
100
Total Time
Enough
Wow, you guys make the Red Roof seem like Iraq. Its an okay area, not great but you can walk around and park a car there. Just use common sense just like any other area. Cleary you folks havent walked around any large cities. The training is very good and attitude is everything. The instructors will bend over backwards for you if put in the effort and are prapared. The oral questions for an F/O PC are right from the oral study guide, if you know those then your fine. Indoc is easy, the hardest part is staying awake. Try to get a King business room with the built in desk, it's easier for studying.
 

Crash Pad

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2005
Posts
1,720
Total Time
40,000
Jungle,
Thanks for mentioning that the Red Roof is not in a bad area. I now know where 80 percent of the pilots on this board come from. My advice is going to go against the grain. Have fun in class. Shoot for an 80% and if you get a week off at any point go home or off to some place cool.
Trust me you'll thank me.
 

FL000

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
1,577
Total Time
1500
EDUC8-or said:
And ask for another room if the security latch has been completely ripped off the door.
...or if the peephole has been turned around to look into the room.
 

jrav8tor

Moonlighting!
Joined
May 2, 2002
Posts
184
Total Time
3000
FL000 said:
...or if the peephole has been turned around to look into the room.
I just stayed at a Hilton with this problem!

I agree with CrashPad, definitely take at least one day during the week and blow off some steam at B-52's, Spondivits, or wherever. Remember one thing, the liquor store on Virginia ave. doesn't sell suds on sundays, so make sure you stock the fridge!

Definitely request a King size bed with the big corner desk! More room for the empty beer cans.
 
Top