• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA to retire the ATR-72.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back the the topic, if we're getting rid of ATRs, why are they still hiring into the thing? Why spend 3 months training new pilots for an airplane that's only going to be around for 4 months later?

Makes no sense. Reserve guys are flying once every two months on the AT7.

There are a lot of "senior" FOs that want off The ATR. Maybe the company is taking care of the more senior folks who have put in their time. *shrugs*

We got the ATR lines cut to 24 for January. The 24th captain has been here 7 years. 7 years to hold a line on the ATR. Ouch.

I take it your the 24th Captain? It definitely was not that P.M., but yesterday some Capt was saying the same thing about 7 year ATR Capts.

The Jet would be less senior I guess. For better or worse we'll all be there soon enough anyway. :(

Last edited:
the ATR is a great plane but it's time to get something with better reliability. The mx guys are pissed they are leaving because they got a ton of overtime from all the road trips they had to make. I'll be sad to see it go but it's time. Back to button pushing I guess.:cool:

the ATR is a great plane but it's time to get something with better reliability. The mx guys are pissed they are leaving because they got a ton of overtime from all the road trips they had to make. I'll be sad to see it go but it's time. Back to button pushing I guess.:cool:

Easy there, champ. World-wide, the reliability of the ATR is just fine. The only exception is one airline in the southern part of the United States...its not the plane's fault.

well I don't know about the "worldwide" reliability of the ATR but I do know the one's we got are mx pigs. It's obvious ASA does not want to put up the time and money to keep the ATR in tip top shape. They are doing the minimum to keep em flying until they are gone.

well I don't know about the "worldwide" reliability of the ATR but I do know the one's we got are mx pigs. It's obvious ASA does not want to put up the time and money to keep the ATR in tip top shape. They are doing the minimum to keep em flying until they are gone.

It's perhaps important to note the difference. I'm not one for believing that the plane needs replacing because it is maintenance needy. We've got some good mx folks, but I think that the top end of the mx food-chain at ASA is given marching orders based off of what's best for the current quarter, not for the needs of the a/c.

Latest resources

Back