• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA to Commit Schedule Suicide for June

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why should I pull a mechanic off an A/C with an item that cannot be defered just to fill out paperwork that I can do myself?

More responsibility on the pilots' backs. Just the way management likes it. What's next, fueling the airplane yourself? Just an excuse for them to not hire more mechanics.

If you can't get maintenance in Atlanta, where then? They just want more deferrals and less fixing. Hope you guys defer things correctly.

Last edited:
More responsibility on the pilots' backs. Just the way management likes it. What's next, fueling the airplane yourself? Just an excuse for them to not hire more mechanics.

If you can't get maintenance in Atlanta, where then? They just want more deferrals and less fixing. Hope you guys defer things correctly.

You don't make the decision if an item is to be defered or not. That is why you still have to contact the MTC/MCC and have the line per MCC and his/her emp number. As long as you follow company procedure then you are fine.

You don't make the decision if an item is to be defered or not. That is why you still have to contact the MTC/MCC and have the line per MCC and his/her emp number. As long as you follow company procedure then you are fine.

Oh thanks for the lesson. 12 years and i need a 4k hour company man to tell me I should feel fine simply by following company procedures. Is that like resetting the generator multiple times until a fire starts?

Management has analyzed the data, determined there are broken airplanes arriving in Atlanta, and consequently put a priority on schedule over fixing airplanes.

And BTW, I don't have to fly an airplane with a deferral I feel compromises safety for that flight.

Oh thanks for the lesson. 12 years and i need a 4k hour company man to tell me I should feel fine simply by following company procedures. Is that like resetting the generator multiple times until a fire starts?

Management has analyzed the data, determined there are broken airplanes arriving in Atlanta, and consequently put a priority on schedule over fixing airplanes.

And BTW, I don't have to fly an airplane with a deferral I feel compromises safety for that flight.

Slow down skipper, nobody is telling you how to run your flt deck. You made the coment that this procedure puts more responsibility on the pilot which I disagree with. Safety is always a top priority on my flt deck as well and if I don't agree w/ a deferal then I will refuse the A/C or req clarification. What I am saying is that for those items that are deferable and don't conflict with/compromise safety in anyway then the process of having us fill out the paperwork is fine.

Why would the company hire 50+ more mechanics for ATL for the summer skd? That is like calling back our furloughed guys for 3-4 months then letting them go again. You work with those you have and possibly TDY some from MCN or BTR. You also have the pilots fill out paperwork for deferable items to free up mech. for A/C the require there attention.

This will not compromise safety when done properly. BTW, I guess I should update my times info.

Last edited:
Guys, write up items when they break, not when it's convenient. I'll bet the feds are looking at the fact most mechanical problems suddenly occur at a MX base. This is probably a mutually agreeable fix to the ontime issues and the federales concern that pilots are flying open issues until they hit ATL.

The question remains, at what point will a mechanic actually look at the problem or perceived problem? The company makes it difficult to get outstation maintenance, and now instation maintenance will be equally inaccessible. The company is making a big gamble that the MEL (which has historically been weak and innacurate) is going to keep the operation safe.

Guys, write up items when they break, not when it's convenient.

I agree 100%

I share the same concern that I these MELs may begin to add up if the company tries to wait until the expiration dates to make repairs. This is a big part of what I mean when I say "done properly". This must be on both sides that the pilot group will do this to help keep the daily ops moving but when these A/C are on overnights or have sit times in CVG/ATL these MELs need to be cleared.

If they do it right this just might work.

Hell I think last year CT said we would do 40 min turns in ATL with a crew swap. I thought NO WAY not in ATL. Well guess what, I've done 35 min turns in ATL with a crew swap. Now mind you everything has to work perfect and sometimes it does.

If you haven't figured out by now, we pilots are the guinea pigs for a lot of their experiments. If they work mgmt looks smart to DL.

Lets face it we need to be the pettiest date for the prom in the DCI eat DCI world.

701EV

we have actually been running at least one or two new hire mtc classes over the last month or so...

fwiw

cheers

I'd like to see that slick haired Dick Anderson get his ass over to the bottom of D27 and see how his company treats persons with disabilities and um's in that freaking holding cage. I bet those parents wonder where their kids pick up the f bomb and ebonics speech after 30 minutes in that joint. Delta you can do better than that!

I agree,dog!

Anderson is such a complete toolbag! Every time I see his pic, this video classic immediately comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG3PnQ3tgzY

-Slick Hair? 2009? Really?

-Almost as fashionable as Steenland's damn-fool goatee..

Last edited:
It will work. You will have quick turns, show up to an airplane and it will be boarded and go. They will come to ATL have a three to five hr sit and then have every thing ready and in the middle of the boarding process when you show up.

I have been able to do a 20 min turn in a 767 with a plane change and a different concourse because of this. It works out well for us, but not so efficient for them.
IMHO I bed with the jetways on C you will see a change in policy in regards to needing a pilot on board prior to boarding. You will just leave it powered up and on ground power so they can board.
Now thats funny.

Latest resources

Back