ASA to begin ATL-MDW and SLC-ABQ service 9/1/05

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
As far as our future fleet plans, it will be interesting to see. A LCA told me that G. Beck was in Paris for the Paris Airshow, talking to Airbus. ---which I have heard from VPs at a DFW meeting three weeks ago---of 737-700s replacing the MD88s (phased out by 2011), and new 739's to replace the 757s eventually. So, a 737-700, 738, 739 narrowbody fleet, with possibly a 787 or something simmilar replacing the 767 eventually.....

Bye Bye--General Lee
General:

Then surely you realize that management buys airplanes and decides where to employ them, not DCI pilots.

Yet somehow it is our fault that Delta bought airplanes that you and ALPA do not like? Funny, but nobody calls me on these deals. They just make me fly the trips with crappy overnights.

~~~^~~~ said:
General:

Then surely you realize that management buys airplanes and decides where to employ them, not DCI pilots.

Yet somehow it is our fault that Delta bought airplanes that you and ALPA do not like? Funny, but nobody calls me on these deals. They just make me fly the trips with crappy overnights.

I don't remember blaming you for which planes fly which routes. I can be disappointed at DL when they select cities that I think constitute larger aircraft, but then again I don't have the numbers in front of me. Maybe that limited resource (the mainline jet) could generate more revenue in a place like Phily, instead of somewhere else. I am still allowed to be disappointed. Next time I state "Fins, you ba$tard, thanks for flying the CR7 into the Turks and Caicos"--tell me I am full of $hit.

Bye Bye--General Lee

:cool: Mainline guys need to remember that we are just like them....flying what we are told! Understand that we are there to "Maintain.....Maintain" mother D presence! Not take over!!!!!!!! We take the routes that you guys cannot make any money on and make them profitable again. Once we cannot handle the capacity, we hand it back to you! Plain and simple so quit BI@CHING about it!

Spanky...I am sorry that you are furloughed, I would not wish that on anyone, but you need to point your anger in another direction.....BIG D!!

GL you make some great points and seem to me to understand a bit of what Mother is trying to do. I mean, without DCI, you would lose those routes all together and WN,AirTran or JB would swoop in and take it over putting another notch in Big D's coffin! I do not want to spend my career here, I would rather fly bigger stuff anyday.....But if it keeps Big D on the map, I am glad to do it!!;)

Just wanted to say good luck.....we're all counting on you.....!

Our ASA CR7's weight limited out of SLC? Seems there is a problem taking actual J/S'ers on some flights.

Tomct said:
:cool: Mainline guys need to remember that we are just like them....flying what we are told! Understand that we are there to "Maintain.....Maintain" mother D presence! Not take over!!!!!!!! We take the routes that you guys cannot make any money on and make them profitable again. Once we cannot handle the capacity, we hand it back to you! Plain and simple so quit BI@CHING about it!

Spanky...I am sorry that you are furloughed, I would not wish that on anyone, but you need to point your anger in another direction.....BIG D!!

GL you make some great points and seem to me to understand a bit of what Mother is trying to do. I mean, without DCI, you would lose those routes all together and WN,AirTran or JB would swoop in and take it over putting another notch in Big D's coffin! I do not want to spend my career here, I would rather fly bigger stuff anyday.....But if it keeps Big D on the map, I am glad to do it!!;)

Just wanted to say good luck.....we're all counting on you.....!

Yeah, I do understand. Some presence is better than none. There are some cities that I BELIEVE should have larger equipment, but again I don't have the actual numbers in front of me. We have to be able to make money to get out of this hole, that is what I do know. I hope the RJs help with that.

Bye Bye--General Lee

GL,

I'm glad you are aware that without numbers everyone is "full of it"!! I just want to pose the question:

Would management from a financially distraught airline knowingly avoid revenue potential by using a subcontractor?

IE.

Would DAL mgmt send a smaller a/c on a city pair to lose money?

Come on people!! Management types are some stingy back stabbing bastages, but give them a little credit on who flies where. I

f an old 73 is being retired and DAL doesn't have a replacement a/c in the fleet where are they going to turn? Smarter to put several smaller a/c on the route than 1 bigger a/c.

If an MD88 is better suited to fly to VPS b/c the loads justify it then why not do it. In return those DCI a/c can be redeployed else where. This is what has happened in VPS & MYR.

I'm by no means a management supporter but they are the ones in control and we can support and question there decisions at the same time.

Last edited:
Sinca3 said:
GL,

I'm glad you are aware that without numbers everyone is "full of it"!! I just want to pose the question:

Would management from a financially distraught airline knowingly avoid revenue potential by using a subcontractor?

IE.

Would DAL mgmt send a smaller a/c on a city pair to lose money?

Come on people!! Management types are some stingy back stabbing bastages, but give them a little credit on who flies where. I

f an old 73 is being retired and DAL doesn't have a replacement a/c in the fleet where are they going to turn? Smarter to put several smaller a/c on the route than 1 bigger a/c.

If an MD88 is better suited to fly to VPS b/c the loads justify it then why not do it. In return those DCI a/c can be redeployed else where. This is what has happened in VPS & MYR.

I'm by no means a management supporter but they are the ones in control and we can support and question there decisions at the same time.

Sinca 3,

Would they send a smaller plane on a route to waste money? They did after 9-11, and we lost a large amount of market share to the LCCs. Did they know they were doing that? It should have been apparent shortly afterwards. Look at the DFW clusterfukc.

RJs are a great tool when they are not put up against a LCC directly. With the lower costs and more seats, the LCC will win. I believe RJs should be placed on routes with little or no competition, maybe new routes to see if there is the need to eventually bring on mainline jets. Also, they are good for maintaining presence on off season times----like Cabo during the Summer from SLC. That is a good use of an RJ. Starting service to MZT from SLC with a CHQ E170 is another good example of using the RJ as an exploratory tool. Comair's routes nonstop from JFK to PNS and MLB also are good uses---since no other airlines have attempted that service, which makes a price premium for people who want the convience of nonstop service. That is what we hopefully will see more of. Filling in the gaps(non peak times) during the day with service to larger cities isn't a bad idea also, as long as there are mainline service opportunities for the business customer. Some of them don't want to fly on an RJ. They should have a choice between the larger cities.(NY to ATL or another hub--like CVG)

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
Sinca 3,

Would they send a smaller plane on a route to waste money? They did after 9-11, and we lost a large amount of market share to the LCCs. Did they know they were doing that? It should have been apparent shortly afterwards. Look at the DFW clusterfukc.

RJs are a great tool when they are not put up against a LCC directly. With the lower costs and more seats, the LCC will win. I believe RJs should be placed on routes with little or no competition, maybe new routes to see if there is the need to eventually bring on mainline jets. Also, they are good for maintaining presence on off season times----like Cabo during the Summer from SLC. That is a good use of an RJ. Starting service to MZT from SLC with a CHQ E170 is another good example of using the RJ as an exploratory tool. Comair's routes nonstop from JFK to PNS and MLB also are good uses---since no other airlines have attempted that service, which makes a price premium for people who want the convience of nonstop service. That is what we hopefully will see more of. Filling in the gaps(non peak times) during the day with service to larger cities isn't a bad idea also, as long as there are mainline service opportunities for the business customer. Some of them don't want to fly on an RJ. They should have a choice between the larger cities.(NY to ATL or another hub--like CVG)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Good Thoughts!! If only Management could think like you do. The RJ is a great tool and should be used for some of the reasons you stated above.

Latest resources

Back