• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Suc#s TEA AHHT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cast from a rap video!!!!!!!!!!! who may have had cameos on "cops" ooooooooooooooooh!

Dude,

Are you serious??? This is a great place to be! I spent (more like wasted) 2 1/2 yrs at Allegheny Airlines before I came to ASA so I have seen both sides of the pasture (no offense to my ALG buddies). Here is just a small list of our good fortune:

1. EQUIPMENT. We have great equipment to fly. Arent you glad we dont have a fleet of 1900's, Jetstreams, or most of the other prop trash out there. (not to mention no APU)

2. BIDDING. We can do just about anything (bidding, swapping, vacation trades, etc...) from home on our PC. It was all paper at ALG.

3. BASES. We have hub bases. Try commuting from DFW to SYR. Or how would you like to pack up and move your family to some small town. At least we dont have MCN or TXK as bases.

4. NEW AIRCRAFT. Ask the PDT or ALG guys/gals when the last time they saw a new aircraft on there property. Or how many there getting this year. Not to mention the 25 that are coming here (I pray).

5. JOB SECURITY. Dude, what do you think your chances are of being furloughed this year? Now, ask and ALG or PDT pilot that same question. We are hiring so I think we are in good shape for now.

6. SCHEDULING. I have no problem with scheduling. I actually worked as a crew scheduler for SWA for a year and know how tough that job can be. It is a very thankless job that pays min wage or maybe slightly better. And how often do they get a pat on the back. It gets very stressful with mx, wx, sick calls, crying fa's who cant find there keys, or cell phones or whatever. And if those guys drop the ball just once, it could effect connections the rest of the day. Everybody has run ins with scheduling every once in a while but you will find that from the smallest commuter to the largest Airline in the world.

7. PAY. Our pay is not that bad. Check some of the pay scales out there. And be thankful we havent had to concede to concessions and have not been asked.

I could go on and on.

I'm in my 3rd year here. This month I'm blocked to 85 hrs with 14 days off. Two 2day trips followed by 3 off. Sun, Mon, Tue off.
Last month it was 4 day trips blocked to 93 with Sun, Mon, Tue off.

To anyone considering ASA, do a little more research than just reading a disgruntled persons post on this board. I believe that most pilots at ASA (at least the ones I've flown with) are very happy to be here (till the majors hire again).

To my friends at ALG/PDT, I mean NO disrespect AT ALL. I wish ya'll all the best in the world and hope things get better over there ASAP.

ASAFO

Reserves at ASA is the best kept secret. If I fly 15 hours a month than it has been a busy month for me.

ASA CRJ200 CA ATL

socrates1 said:
Reserves at ASA is the best kept secret. If I fly 15 hours a month than it has been a busy month for me.

ASA CRJ200 CA ATL

Take a look at DFW CR7 Capt. Reserve goes senior.

Agreed!

I agree with the last few post, ASA is probably as good as it gets for regional pilots.

Dont forget you have full travel privies on Delta when you are off, including your Mom and Dad. Match ours with others and see how it compares, it doesnt.

ASA has some real boneheads in many mgt. positions. Name any company in the world that doesnt.

We have excellent equipment.

I have to say the schedulers overall have been good to me, I dont talk to them as though they owe me, and they respond to that.

Our CNC and MEC are working hard to fix the current contracts loopholes and I feel good that 99% will be.

Reserve is a good secret most of the time, That of course depends on your situation though. Commuting on reserve sucks, whereas sitting at home with your kid and working around the house while on reserve, and never getting called, yet getting paid for 75hrs is a good deal for many.

Medeco

79%N1,

Yes, I know a bit about ASA---and I have talked with many of them and jumped on their airplanes quite a bit. It seems that if you want to live at one of their hubs, you can be happy. The pay is not bad compared to others--like Mesa and Chataqua----and the planes are nice. There aren't as many "cold" overnights---so flying in the Winter isn't as bad as flying for Comair. The other big hang up is the contract, and I don't see that getting better any time soon. If you want to fly a nice airplane and live and be based in either DFW or ATL, and don't mind the lower pay for a couple years---then I think ASA would be the right regional airline for some people. And, in a few years we will probably be hiring many ASA pilots when our furloughs come back eventually--so there could be some movement there..... You have to be informed, though. Enjoy your day 79%N1.

Bye Bye---General Lee ;)

Aaahhhh....The General has spoke, and imparted his neverending wisdom! My day can go on!

dude,

if you have a wife or girlfriend, read your post to her, then make love, and if you still feel that way, then it really is bad!

Fellas,

It's nice to see the varying responses to my post. All were fairly valid with the exception of the RJ drivers. The RJ guys may be correct with regard to life on the jet, but the ATR is completely different. I have spoken with many guys on the RJ that believe that's the only way to fly and the QOL ain't that bad. I am strictly speaking on behalf of what I know-The ATR.

Sure, my post was harsh and for the most part not every day is as bad as I made it seem. There is, however, a lot of truth behind my post. I still stand behind my comments and if the RJ is that good, I'll have to take your word for it. I have been awarded the RJ for some time now and still no class. The choice isn't mine what equip I fly, for now. The majority of the post was regarding the ATR.

For those of you that come from other carriers and are happy with your choice, good. I don't insist that anyone subscribe to my way of thinking. I have no issues with flying "Prop-Trash" as it were called previously; an airplane is an airplane to me. After a less than stellar day I thought I would share my thoughts on the current state of affairs at ASA. For those wishing to get a class, Good Luck. Be aware that we are in the middle of negotiations and things will be this way for a while. Sure, after the contract is settled, things will get better. In the meantime, hold on.

Hey buddy. Your list of aircraft flown seems a little far fetched.

Did you really fly a twotter?

I hope all the ASA pilots are as pissed as you seem to be. That is what it takes to strike if it becomes your only option. Good luck. We at Comair are ready to help in any way we can. Our pilot group had the same opinion of our jobs before we struck the compamy. And it is the reason we stayed out as long as we did.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back