ASA Screw Scheduling

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rightseatjocky said:
Willy, I understand what you meant by changing the times. I have had them do that for me so they can get a flight out on my block time. Per flica, I have gone over 100 2 times this month. They have to drop you back down to 97.30 and then they can do what they want. Again, to fit the trips in they want, yes they will manipulate the times to fit it in so someone can do it. I have had it done and when they do that for lets say jr man. I keep very good track of what I have flown in the month and for that trip I will still get over block and submit it in the pay form that way. When they do something like that, I just fly at .74 and I will make money that way, when they try to take off 30 minutes. It works both ways.

Your post states that have had them do that for your so they can get a flight out on your block time. So it's all about making the money and helping yourself? I was going to suggest you read the ASA PWA Chapter 13 Scheduling, Section L. Junior Assignment, Paragraphs 1-3, it appears you already know Paragraphs 4 & 5 verbatim. You should be enforcing the contract not encouraging others on how to give it away. FLIGHT TIMES can only be changed if the times are adjusted both on the outbound and inbound legs of a roundtrip if they are trying to extend you or Junior Man you. This according to the FAA usually is a wash and doesn't benefit the company to do so. Even then the company has to make reasonable assumptions to comply with the FAA's ruling on this. For those who don't want to assist the company in violating the contract and FAR's call the scheduling hotline, Pete Davis @ 928-899-8900. Also log the number of times you are Junior Assigned because ASA will not tell you the contracts protections. They will run out of pilots to DRAFT very quickly and then be unable to abuse you for DRAFT for the remainder of the year.

Rightseatjockey, I hope you are trying to leave ASA and are successful in the near future. Your selfserving attitude should make you high up on the Chief Pilots list if you stay.:angryfire :puke:

~~~^~~~ said:
Crew scheduling then reminds you that you have 9 hours reduced in domicile because of "operational delay." But they are nice enough to tell you at 02:50 your duty in is now 11:50 for a 12:10 departure - "see you in the morning, I mean, umn, later today, he he he...."

Don't forget the side letter provides you 1 hour from duty in in domicile before your first scheduled departure time. We won an arbitration on this and the company was directed to change the departure time to provide that one hour. That prevents being pushed to get the flight out on time and forces them to schedule the delay into your line. Make them comply!!

~~~^~~~ said:
Look up the definition of a slave:

Slavery is the social and legal designation of specific persons as property, for the purpose of providing labor and services for the owner without the right of the slave to refuse.

Rumor has it that when the company terminates a pilot they give him/her a Copy of the Emancipation Proclamation because slaves can't be terminated only set free!:D

~~~^~~~ said:
That is why I want to restrict involuntary junior maning in this next contract. I currently have 4 ocurrences, 3 of these were on my scheduled time off. If they want to fire me for refusing extensions when I'm fatigued, let them try.

Dave, Shelia and Rochelle need to be recognized as the true "Award of Excellence" winners they are.

We already have limits on the number of times you can be Junior Assigned in Chapter 13. Scheduling, Section L. Paragraphs 1-3.

Last edited:
737 Pylt said:
Perception= You think you're cool
Reality= You are an ASS!

:laugh:That is so true and yet one of the funniest things I have ever heard you say!! You hit the nail right on the head 73 pilot! Nicely Done!

Bizjet said:
Don't forget ...
Thanks Bizjet. Everyone should be familiar with those sections of the contract.

The problems are that our contract still provides nearly no relief in the area of involuntary extensions, junior manning.

What really helps is (1) Finally holding a schedule (2) Having the right attitude

Last edited:
My very first airline job was as a Crew Scheduler. I remember having to cover a Captain's entire month of flying because the company suspended him. Why, you ask? Because the moron taxied away from the gate with the cabin door open!

I remember having to cancel another flight because the idiot captain misread his schedule and didn't show up for his trip. He was at home, in another state.

I recall cancelling yet another flight because the Flight Attendant called in sick. She was sick, yet for some reason she had been seen out partying until the wee hours the night before.

My point here is that, half the reason you guys get drafted and extended so much, is because your fellow crewmember is doing something stupid or irresponsible. The other half are for reasons beyond the control of the Crew Scheduler.

They have a job to do, just like you. Yet you dont' see them on here bitching about those a$$hole crew members (well, except for this)

hoover said:
My very first airline job was as a Crew Scheduler. I remember having to cover a Captain's entire month of flying because the company suspended him. Why, you ask? Because the moron taxied away from the gate with the cabin door open!

I remember having to cancel another flight because the idiot captain misread his schedule and didn't show up for his trip. He was at home, in another state.

I recall cancelling yet another flight because the Flight Attendant called in sick. She was sick, yet for some reason she had been seen out partying until the wee hours the night before.

My point here is that, half the reason you guys get drafted and extended so much, is because your fellow crewmember is doing something stupid or irresponsible. The other half are for reasons beyond the control of the Crew Scheduler.

They have a job to do, just like you. Yet you dont' see them on here bitching about those a$$hole crew members (well, except for this)

That excuses some of the short-calls and extensions. ASA's Crew Sched department has many, many deeper and darker issues. There is a systemic attitude of "meat in the seat." They simply don't care about the contract, FAR's or common sense...abuse of flight crew is a sport, and an institution.

For every one of your "stupid crew" stories, I could give you a dozen "stupid/mean/jealous/vindictive scheduler" stories.

There have been some decent, and compassionate schedulers at ASA from time to time, but they didn't last long.

Lastly, you don't see them here bitching, because they don't have the courage. There is simply no excuse for some of the things they have done, and I think deep down most of them know it.

hoover said:

If you are still in Scheduling you know you are a retard. If you are sharp they will move you out of scheduling and over to the ramp to act as a translator for the boys from the hood. Now get off this forum and go Junior Man some one.

After going through this a couple of times a pilot learns just to do the stupid MCN turn (after all, crew scheduling promises you will be off when you get back to ATL). The weather gets bad, there are ground holds and you end up back in ATL after 15:55 of duty. Crew scheduling then reminds you that you have 9 hours reduced in domicile because of "operational delay." But they are nice enough to tell you at 02:50 your duty in is now 11:50 for a 12:10 departure - "see you in the morning, I mean, umn, later today, he he he....

A little known paragragh in the FOM, 2-1.11 or there abouts, After any duty day 15 hours or greater in or out of domicile, you're required to have 10 hours rest. It's not a contract or FAR issue, it's the FOM. In other words, no reduced rest after a 15 hour day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back