ASA Reserve

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dojetdriver said:
Is there any possible end to negotiations for you guys over there or is it at a total stalemate?

Also, are the min. days off as well as reserve rules one of the sticking points?
From what has been posted we are at worse than a stalemate. We have not even got to the economic ( compensation ) portion of the contract and the Company is already trying to force concessionary work rules. For example instead of a day off, the Company is looking to make it a 24 hour period, so if your trip dutied out at noon on Saturday and the next trip begins at 12:01 Sunday, you have had your "day off" - then go fly for another 6 days. Also they want cuts in the way sick time is calculated, and I think I read that they were looking to cut vacation. The Company backed off "PM Day Lines" ( which are Naps ( high speeds ) with a round trip on either end ) but now they are back on the schedules. These are simply brutal.

The reserves have no rights what so ever, so there is nothing they can lose. I would have to look to be sure, but I am pretty sure that every day off, except for the four golden days per month, has been taken away and moved at the last minute since September. What really stinks is that sometimes they fail to notify you and your "off" day turns out to be a day you sat around thinking you were on reserve. Of course you can't prove you were not notified and if you confront a scheduler you run the risk of getting on their "list." Once on the list, you will be sent after broke airplanes, fly the naps with 3hr overnights, etc... Some pilots used to resort to bribing he schedulers, or trying to, to get off "the list."

Unless there is some reason you must come to ASA I'd go somewhere else and hold out for a job with Airtran, Southwest, etc.... This airline has no desire to see employees stick around. Management wants a fresh group of pilots who have no expectations of fair treatment, who then move on, before they have any seniority, and before they get up the pay scale.

Delta is still sinking like a bag of hammers. The scene around here is not improving. However, if you are from ACA, or iFly, come on over, we could give you a place to fly until you can get a real job and have some fun once out of the blocks in ATL.

Last edited:
Yup, unfortunately agree with all the above. Worst thing is, the chief's balls have been cut off. Seems like their entire 'authority' has been taken away. In the last week alone I have been to see two chief pilots with various problems just to be told oh well, too bad. Might as well have been talking to a wall. You couldn't pay me enough to do that job. I hope they realize that they are pi$$ing off many pilots on their road to management suck up.

Last edited:
These latest chief's never had any balls!

I know some people didn't like Joe, but when he left so did the ball's.

What f4f and fins have stated is the absolute truth!

I've been on reserve for the last 3 years and 7 months.

701EV

letthebigdogeat said:
Yup, unfortunately agree with all the above. Worst thing is, the chief's balls have been cut off. Seems like their entire 'authority' has been taken away. In the last week alone I have been to see two chief pilots with various problems just to be told oh well, too bad. Might as well have been talking to a wall. You couldn't pay me enough to do that job. I hope they realize that they are pi$$ing off many pilots on their rode to management suck up.

And I hope everyone remembers everything they did as CPs (as they get fired one by one and get sent back to the line), and treats them accordingly.

I would not be so worried about how long you are going to be on reserve. I finally got a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** line, and spent 2 years on reserve... You get used to it, and once you get the hang of it you dont even notice.. The main reason you dont notice is because you never had a line and you dont know how good it can be.

The thing to worry about is upgrade... HOW LONG? IF EVER

Mmmmmm Burritos said:
Good grief, don't let this guy scare you. Ithought it would be bad when I started and the schedulers have beennothing but professional to me. I haven't had any of the things happenthat this guy has, except for the flying with captains that senior FO'sdon't want to fly with. THAT is very true, but that's not the companydoing that to you, that's seniority.

If you are nice to scheduling and don't whine every time they call you,pick up the phone when they call, and not be an a$$ to them, then theywill be nice back. I am sure they have a naughty and nice list ofpeople, just try to get on the nice list. By the way there is no 15minute callback rule, it is actually a "reasonable amount of time" asquoted from a chief pilot. The common practice is 15 min though so Iwouldnt push it past that.

I know someone who's only been here 6 months and is off reserve. That'sactually only 3 months of being on reserve with 2 months training and 1month of IOE and having a line built for you to gain experience.

Of course, I spent my reserve in DFW.

Your avatar is the best ever, hands down.

ifly4food said:
And I hope everyone remembers everything they did as CPs (as they get fired one by one and get sent back to the line), and treats them accordingly.

Ifly4food,
If these CPs are so pro management and so anti-pilot, why would they get fired and sent back on line? If this is one huge anti-pilot conspiracy, why would they be fired? You need to quit looking at everything as black and white and realize that this all one big grey area. Some people in management positions and some people in union positions need to be fired. Both sides have good people and bad people. It isn't as simple as you make it out to be.

InclusiveScope said:
Ifly4food,
If these CPs are so pro management and so anti-pilot, why would they get fired and sent back on line? If this is one huge anti-pilot conspiracy, why would they be fired? You need to quit looking at everything as black and white and realize that this all one big grey area. Some people in management positions and some people in union positions need to be fired. Both sides have good people and bad people. It isn't as simple as you make it out to be.

I witnessed the CP in question trying to discipline pilots for calling in sick less than 2 hours prior to duty, no showing reserves for not returning phone calls within 15 minutes, and browbeating pilots for things they didn't do. He's a douchebag, and he deserves to be treated as such.

He was fired because of a conspiracy, but not one against the pilots. Chromer is gunning for Nelson's job and Mike is gunning for Chromer's job. Mike wants to edge out all of the old CPs because he feels he can control the new guys. The excuse to fire BH was his attendance. The truth is that he and Mike didn't see eye to eye.

Granted there are some probs withe the CP's, but I have never had anything but good experiences with MW and FL. If MW wants CS's job---so be it, I think that would be quite an improvement.

Personally, BH was a Cocky Jack Ass. He walked around like he was god's gift to everything. MW and FL are pro pilot from my experiences with them. I also never had a problem with the uniform guru in DFW either. I guess coming to work in my uniform ready to do my job keeps me on the right side of the law.

I would not want any CP job for all the tea in china. They really are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Unhappy pilots and a company that thinks we are all over paid and under worked. I don't see the upper mgmt spending anytime jumpseating on a 4 day trip to see how thier bad decisions effect our every day lives.

Did anyone in screw scheduling ever graduate from elementary school?
Shure does not seem like it!

Latest resources

Back