Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IFLY - You speak the truth.

Last edited:
ASA is not as bad as some make it out to be. If you know your FARs and duty/flight time limitations, and follow them regardless of what scheduling gives you, you'll be okay.

ASA is a good place to work, provided you're not commuting.

I've been here 3+ years, and have no complaints, other than commuting sucks. If you get hired, new hires will be a looooooooooooong way from upgrade. If you come in understanding that, you'll be ok. If you think a quick upgrade (read less than 5 years) is in your future, you will be sorely disappointed.

Good luck.

avpro91 said:
F4F- you always seem to have something negative to say about ASA. Whats the deal, why are you so unhappy there?

Burrito- Thanks for the info, coming from on-demand 135, with no schedule, reserve sounds like it should be easy compared to my current QOL, and shouldnt last forever.

I am well connected and have been here for a long time. I hear everyone's horror stories.

I am generally happy here, speaking for myself, but I want all of you new guys to know what you're getting into so that you're ready for it.

Generally, this isn't a bad place to work; my biggest gripes are the moron management team we have tring to run this place into the ground, our slow pace in negotiations, and our inept abusive, power hungry teenager schedulers.

~~~^~~~ said:
IFLY - You speak the truth.

Ditto..... If any place were ripe for a workplace violence incident, ala U.S. Post Office, it's ASA scheduling. They have pushed and bullied people for years.

A big thing that you newhires must remember... There are about 70 FO's sr to you on the ATR that are clawing and scratching to get off the ATR and on the Jet. You New hires have bypassed many senior pilots for the position you sit in now. Our contract has this Awful clause in section 24 that states a Jr pilot can bypass a sr pilot in the FO postion for the same pay. I have had my bid in for the CR 200 for almost a year and have been bypassed by almost 200 NEWBIES.

So all those lines you guys with 6 months on property are holding might go away when they release more of us prop trash guys to the jet.

If this gives you any idea...I know of three pilots who were furloughed elsewhere, came to ASA, then promptly left for other carriers because the reserve system sucks so bad. Somebody said it's hit-and-miss, and that's true. You can have two pilots on reserve the same month...one might fly six hours, the other eighty-seven.

A friend at Eagle showed my how he cam look up his reserve status on their crew-tracking software, and I was stunned. ASA doesn't want us to have that much information. They need us to believe them when they say, "you're the only reserve we've got" or "we don't have any coverage that day." :mad:

Avpro,

I spent 1 year 10 months on Reserve here both in DFW and ATL. Most of what F4F said is some what correct. They will try to screw you. Our biggest problem however is our very poor contract and the scheduling issue's within. There is really no hard and fast rules other that 10 days off per month and you can't work more than 6 days in a row.

I have had my 4 Golden Days taken from me only to be told they can. (actually they can't). Took getting a chief pilot involved and by the time I resolved it my days off had passed.

They do short call you on occasion, but usually you have plenty of notice of a trip. It is not uncommon to get extended and work 6 days in a row. They also do move your day/days off on a fairly regular basis. You have no life on reserve, but it is also part of paying your dues. But most people are not sitting very long on reserve and we are hiring 24 a month for the remainder of the year. Of course that is always subject to change.

We have very good benefits and currently the only non revenue pass privilages in the industry that you do not have to pay to ride. Overall, I am glad I stuck it out to hold a line because on several occasions I was moments from quitting because of the way I was treated. Hopefully most of the issues will be resolved with a new contract.

Good Luck!
Go PATS!

I did a nap (stand-up, high speed, whatever you want to call it) last night and scheduling had to scramble to find a Captain. They did, but he wasn't legal to do a nap, so they attempted to turn the nap into a reduced rest overnight by pushing the report time back but keeping the same departure time, 19 minutes from report to departure.

The problem with this, other than it being an obvious contract violation, is that recently there has been a new emphasis on using the standard 45 prior report time on naps instead of the unofficial "nap standard" 30 minutes. The pertinent "report time" contract section has been highlighted and posted in the ATL crew lounge and the Company even has some hotels noting what time the crews request the van to the airport, allowing them to catch the outlaw nappers flaunting the rules.

The rules apply to us at all times, but are taken on a case by case basis by scheduling.

Basically, scheduling does, and is allowed to get away with, things that we (the crews) would be hung out to dry for if we ever attempted. There is absolutely no accountability involved when it comes to the actions of crew scheduling. Ya don't like it? Grieve it. Ya want to talk to a Chief Pilot about it? Go ahead, he won't care, and if he does, well, he doesn't have the power to do anything about it anyway! Have a great day!

Last edited:
I know it may seem like a dumba#$ question, but;

Is there any possible end to negotiations for you guys over there or is it at a total stalemate?

Also, are the min. days off as well as reserve rules one of the sticking points?

Sorry for any ignorance in the matter. Dealing with a furlough and looking at somewhere else to go and trying to get as much info as possible.

Gotta say this reserve system sounds very similar to the 2 commuter airlines that i've flown for. Probably best to just suck it up and do your time. If you are too scared to accept the job there, apply at Shuttle America. i hear we may be hiring f/o's again soon. It aint much better here either.

Latest resources

Back