ASA Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Crash Pad said:
1. Strike vote passed. I thought that was going to send a huge message and put management to the fire. What happened?

2. How many A/C are we losing? I count the 17, 700's out of SLC. The ATR (12?)... Is 29 the number? 290 pilots?

3. SKYW is hiring 500 pilots this year for A/C they don't have. 35 ASA 700s plus 6 900s = 41 aircraft... Does anyone else think that is why SKYW is hiring?

4. I have had Captains tell me that SKYW can't take assets from ASA something about the company engaging in "self help". Is there any truth to that?

5. Does anyone have any thoughts on what direction this is going in the next 6-12 months?

1. You were mislead.

2. We are losing the SLC 70s and some of the 90s we were going to get. The union will tell you this was a bluff and we weren't going to get the 90s anyway.

3. If we keep up our demands, they will probably transfer our remaining 70s. There is absolutely nothing to stop them, not even the mighty ALPA.

4. These captains are spreading misinformation, much like ALPA. There is absolutely nothing that stops management from transferring assets to Skywest.

5. If we continue with or demands, I believe we will remain parked by the NMB and Jerry will fly the 90s out of ATL with Skywest crews. ALPA will cry about it, but it won't change it.

JoeMerchant said:
1. You were mislead.

2. We are losing the SLC 70s and some of the 90s we were going to get. The union will tell you this was a bluff and we weren't going to get the 90s anyway.

3. If we keep up our demands, they will probably transfer our remaining 70s. There is absolutely nothing to stop them, not even the mighty ALPA.

4. These captains are spreading misinformation, much like ALPA. There is absolutely nothing that stops management from transferring assets to Skywest.

5. If we continue with or demands, I believe we will remain parked by the NMB and Jerry will fly the 90s out of ATL with Skywest crews. ALPA will cry about it, but it won't change it.
Oh, dear Lord..... You must be an absolute joy to share a cockpit with for a month. As for #4, kindly educate yourself on the current going's on at the office before opining..... Oh... wait a minute... I forgot... you haven't so much as set foot in the office since being elected to your highly esteemed ALPA position......

Name recognition is a bitch. The average idiot would probably put a guy named Adolf Eichmann into office before Joe Smith, regardless of what he stood for. Too dang bad ASA's pilots are no different.

I would have started the ball rolling on recalling your ass six months ago if I didn't have the sense to know you'd eat it up being Joe Merchant the martyr, holding your court in the Badda Bing and on the webboards. I'm not sure I could stomach that. However, I might be doing you a favor...... After all, If I made you a martyr, at least you'd have seven virgins to look forward to...... That'd be quite a step up from your current *ahem* situation.....

FmrFreightDog said:
Oh, dear Lord..... You must be an absolute joy to share a cockpit with for a month. As for #4, kindly educate yourself on the current going's on at the office before opining..... Oh... wait a minute... I forgot... you haven't so much as set foot in the office since being elected to your highly esteemed ALPA position......

Name recognition is a bitch. The average idiot would probably put a guy named Adolf Eichmann into office before Joe Smith, regardless of what he stood for. Too dang bad ASA's pilots are no different.

I would have started the ball rolling on recalling your ass six months ago if I didn't have the sense to know you'd eat it up being Joe Merchant the martyr, holding your court in the Badda Bing and on the webboards. I'm not sure I could stomach that. However, I might be doing you a favor...... After all, If I made you a martyr, at least you'd have seven virgins to look forward to...... That'd be quite a step up from your current *ahem* situation.....

Personal attacks aside, lets discuss question #4 if you are able to debate an issue. Management announced several months ago that they were transferring 70 seaters from ASA to SKYW. The original poster said that some of his captains said they couldn't do this. I said he was mislead. If I am incorrect, why hasn't ALPA done something about it? They are transferring assets, and they can transfer more assets.

What are your thoughts on question #4?

Comair transferred assets during their strike. Once their contract was signed, the hulls were returned or replaced. But, you know this and would rather play on fear.

Skywest, Inc. is interested in making money--lots of it. It will cost them lots of money to do what you suggest. One thing for sure, the ATRs are going away. You are going to have to put out the effort to study another airplane.

Where has it been stated in writting that we are losing our 11 700's from SLC? That letter stating that SLC was closing also said that there would be abouy 170 F/os and 170 captains in ATL for the 700 fleet. Are they going to have 70 people on reserve?

This is what is really going to happen not the chicken little senarios I keep hearing.

I think we're keeping all our 700s
getting 20 new atrs or q 400s
also getting 10-15 more 50's that are parked in Montreal being inspected for purchased by asa.

cbrown1 said:
Where has it been stated in writting that we are losing our 11 700's from SLC? That letter stating that SLC was closing also said that there would be abouy 170 F/os and 170 captains in ATL for the 700 fleet. Are they going to have 70 people on reserve?

This is what is really going to happen not the chicken little senarios I keep hearing.

I think we're keeping all our 700s
getting 20 new atrs or q 400s
also getting 10-15 more 50's that are parked in Montreal being inspected for purchased by asa.

I believe on my ASA it was stated that SLC is closing and the 70's based there will be moved to SKYW. Did anyone else read that? I might be losing my mind.
I have not read anything about the rest of your post. If ASA is getting that much growth why is SKYW doing all the hiring?

JoeMerchant said:
Personal attacks aside, lets discuss question #4 if you are able to debate an issue. Management announced several months ago that they were transferring 70 seaters from ASA to SKYW. The original poster said that some of his captains said they couldn't do this. I said he was mislead. If I am incorrect, why hasn't ALPA done something about it? They are transferring assets, and they can transfer more assets.

They have not yet transferred any 70 seaters. They have said they are going to, but it has not yet happened. There is a difference.

Until I see the boys in SLC scraping of the ASA logo, its all tentative subject to change.

Fly Safe...

I was told by several IPs who have been doing the ACARS 'proving runs' that a few of our current 700s were not modified because those were the ships on the list going to SW. Also told by the same guys that the 900s were in montreal with ASA on them - that ASA had ordered the parts and done all the work on the interiors. Seems to be a lot of trouble if SW was getting them all along.

Latest resources

Back