Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ASA Poolie here...

Hey all...

I'm an ASA poolie...interviewed on October 6/7. I am really keeping my fingers crossed about getting into a December class. From what I have heard (maybe it was even earlier in this thread...can't remember now) there are about 50 guys in the pool right now. Also, hiring has slowed a bit because the training department is behind. The only thing we have to worry about now is this rumored deal that Comair has with Delta about giving preferential hiring to furloughed Delta guys. If that trickles over to ASA too we could be sitting in this pool for awhile (Delta apparently just shoved 75 more guys out the door yesterday or the day before...with more to come.). My "inside guy" at ASA is a check airman that knows Loretta pretty well. I'm going to give him a call tomorrow or later this week and see if I can get any good dirt out of him. I'll try to post if I hear anything.

If I have repeated stuff that everybody knows, please forgive me. I hear and read things different places and can't always remember where I saw it. Just doing my part to spread around the rumors too. :)

RyanB727 said:
The only thing we have to worry about now is this rumored deal that Comair has with Delta about giving preferential hiring to furloughed Delta guys.

I don't know who gave you this information, but, I'm at Comair and we DO NOT give preferential hiring to Delta. It is my understanding that ASA is the one that practices preferential hiring. ALPA has been approached about this and I can't think of one pilot at Comair who thinks this is a good idea. Also, you guys complaining about seniority numbers based on age might want to find a different line of work. That's the way it is, was, and always will be. Get over it and be happy you have a job. Fly the turbo-prop for awhile and bid the jet when you can hold a line. First year pay is the same anyway.

Last edited:
Preferential Hiring

There is a thread in the "regionals" section called "Delta pilots to get Pref Hiring." That is where I am getting my info about this whole pref hiring thing. I haven;t confirmed it anywhere else so I suppose it could just be message board BS but it looked pretty legit.

Also, yeah get over the seniority thing...you will always feel that you got slighted somehow. I have fought what I perceived to be a seniority injustice at my current airline for a couple of years to no avail. Found out later there were zillions of other guys protesting too. It works the way it works and if you don't like that system then you can have fun in the corporate world stabbing your cubicle neighbor in the back so you'll get promoted first.

Sorry....guess that sounded bitchy. Didn't mean it to....just saying that in the end, a seniority system works out best for all of us.

Last edited:
I don't know who gave you this information, but, I'm at Comair and we DO NOT give preferential hiring to Delta.

...Yet! Hey sidseal get a clue and get informed!

Also, you guys complaining about seniority numbers based on age might want to find a different line of work. That's the way it is, was, and always will be.

Its not called complaining, its called a discusion about how things could be better. Maybe you should come out of your right wing consevative box.

Get over it and be happy you have a job. Fly the turbo-prop for awhile and bid the jet when you can hold a line.

Be happy with what job? I happen to be furloughed, but when I do get a job again It can be assured that I wont take your advice on how to bid! I suppose that being a new hire at comair makes you all knowing.

Yea, I guess we should all follow your vast experience. You obviously know what you are talking about.

Colonel Cairo said:
Unless of course you have 2 people born on the same day.....

i hear then it goes to alphabetical spelling of your last name ;)

DAL pilots don't get any preference at ASA. We hire furloughed DAL pilots and do not require them to resign their seniority number at DAL (the right thing to do I believe). They still go through the whole interview process just like any of you would. ASA does not require any furloughed pilot from any airline to resign their seniority number (again, the right thing to do). I hope this clears things up. Also, I don't want to hear any crap about this costing the company extra money, these furloughed pilots will be here for years and years.

On seniority as a new hire, most airlines use age, but some use the last 4 digits of the SSN. One I worked for had you draw numbers from a hat. What is the most fair, I don't know, who does?

Nov 4th class . . . how's it going ?

I know all of you in the Nov 4th class at ASA are too busy studying to waste time on forums, but just in case you take a break, how bout letting some of the rest of us know how's it going? Did you get your assignments yet? What is the breakdown of planes/domiciles and how many in the class? Any rumors about another training class in December, or is training backed up? Also, what is the schedule of training looking like, are you off on the weekend for the most part ? Also any other good info you know those of us waiting would like to know!!!

Thanks.

Latest resources

Back