ASA Pilots Read FOM MX Reporting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

scarlet

I heard and read the FOM 2-5.5 that we are not AUTHUORIZED to give VERBAL mx discrepancies !!

It states
1. You will write it up
2. Call MX and tell them you have a write up and your gate location.
3. You are done !!

MX is aware of this as of yesterday, so I heard !!

Does this mean no more page and item number? Just, "I have a write-up, come and get it?"

Does this mean no more page and item number? Just, "I have a write-up, come and get it?"
No you still have to do that, a while back I heard a DL pilot got into hot water with the feds over calling in mtc rather than entering it in the afdl I'm assuming they are trying to bring us into line with the rest of the aviation world.

This has been the rule for a while. There was a memo a year or two ago regarding this.

Are you just saying that we are not allowed to call up and ask for mx to come fix something? That we must write up every discrepancy.

Are you just saying that we are not allowed to call up and ask for mx to come fix something? That we must write up every discrepancy.

That's how it's always been. All discrepancies must be documented. If something happened later and you knew about it and it wasn't documented, you'd be on the receiving end of some bad stuff. MX should know this as well as they'd be on the hook for it too.

It's been that way at skywest the whole time i've been there, maybe they're starting to standardize things

If its broke, write it up. If its not, don't.

Yes that's how it is everywhere. You are always required to write up every discrepancy. Maintenence is not allowed to make repairs without documenting it either. There is nothing "anti-company" about that either. It only takes maintenence 30 seconds to scribble in what they did and rip out the page. If it takes them longer than that its the company's problem, but that doesn't relieve us or maintenence of this most basic requirement.

You can still call MX and tell them whats in the book. For example to give them heads up on what part they may want to bring, or if dispatch should start working on finding a spare aircraft, but you can't just tell them what's broken, not write it up and hope they fix it. Even if you see them fix it, that's not good enough because the FAA demands there be a record of the repair, which requires a write up.

Many mechanics would rather skip out on the paperwork (not only do they have to resolve the write up in the book, but they have to enter data into their own records, and data entery is no fun for anyone...except maybe Data's boyfriend. Oh! I'll be here all week) But this unofficial honor system status quo of verbal write ups only is highly illegal and if caught the FAA will come down hard on you and the mechanics.

As always, the company will drop both of you like a hot skillet, saying how they told you they wanted all discrepancies written up and resolved in a formal, legal matter, and the fact that you didn't do that means you are a rogue, rule breaking pilot/mechanic and they wash their hands of you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back