ASA pilots quitting at record pace...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AMANSWORLD

Recently spoke to a friend and fellow ASA pilot who is a fairly senior FO as far as ASA goes (I am a fairly senior Captain). He called me to let me know that he resigned with his two week notice. The day he resigned he was also told by a CP -who will remain nameless because he is a good guy, they have had no less than 150 to 200 resignations in the last month and the number is expected to increase. My buddy has accepted a postion at Skywest and he should be a EMB120 Capt in 6-10 months. I told him congrats! My question is simple it is to the UNION, ASA MANAGEMENT, and SKYWEST. What are you doing to ensure this company will stay productive and around in 1 year,5,10,20,etc. Its seems to me that as long as the contract is not resolved you WILL have poor attitudes because pilots need to know how they plan on paying for a kid, college, or in this case re-training for a new career. This is a big issue! I have always supported our LEC but I have to say I am losing confidence in thier affectiveness, and no I am not supporting the others looking to take thier places. As far as the management goes we have been continuously lied to be our current managemant and they should be let go. Now to the guy pulling BL's cord, Mr. Atkin, you sir need to realize if you can come to some sort of meeting yourself with our union I am quite sure our pilot group will be your best friend, provided we are treated FAIRLY! The problem with ASA is very simple the company's management tactics are in the darktimes. I for one will graciously accept a fair contract, that being said I will also walk the line if needed. Also on another note, my buddy's class date at SKW is approx. 90% ASA guys and gals. So back to the union here, guys it is time for somethings to be done - CONTRACT OR STRIKE. SOON!

Last edited:
I have to agree with you on most points, although 150-200 in a month I think is a real stretch. Like I've said all along, Jerry Atkin will either delay an agreement as long as possible or in the event it comes to a head before he gets where he wants, he will agree to almost anything in a new contract even if its something unsustainable by SkyW/ASA for the long term (i.e. too costly) and will rather quickly transfer as much of ASA to SkyW as possible.

Its starting to look like not only our assets (SLC 70's AND the crj900's that according to ALPA were not coming to us ANYWAY, yeah right) but many of our most junior pilots are going there to crew them (its what I'd do if I were them).

If ALPA does not get reasonable really soon, you and I are going to be sitting in the right seat of planes we should have been flying as captains out of ATL with those same super junior FO's as our Captains. Assuming we decide to roll over to SkyW as we continue to shrink.

As much as I have enjoyed being at ASA, I have come to the conclusion that its time to go ahead and take my temporary cut now and move on. I have but one requirement for my next stop in the airlines....NO ALPA.

I don't think ALPA would bring you a "fair" contract to vote on. ALPA is still holding out for big raises and a retirement plan. I think ALPA needs to get real before they lose everything. ALPA's support will erode as this drags out because most of the folks leaving are probably the biggest ALPA supporters.

So does everyone think ALPA is really asking for just what the pilots said they want or is ALPA asking for more and just telling us that they are asking for what we said we want?

I have to agree with you on most points, although 150-200 in a month I think is a real stretch. Like I've said all along, Jerry Atkin will either delay an agreement as long as possible or in the event it comes to a head before he gets where he wants, he will agree to almost anything in a new contract even if its something unsustainable by SkyW/ASA for the long term (i.e. too costly) and will rather quickly transfer as much of ASA to SkyW as possible.

Its starting to look like not only our assets (SLC 70's AND the crj900's that according to ALPA were not coming to us ANYWAY, yeah right) but many of our most junior pilots are going there to crew them (its what I'd do if I were them).

If ALPA does not get reasonable really soon, you and I are going to be sitting in the right seat of planes we should have been flying as captains out of ATL with those same super junior FO's as our Captains. Assuming we decide to roll over to SkyW as we continue to shrink.

As much as I have enjoyed being at ASA, I have come to the conclusion that its time to go ahead and take my temporary cut now and move on. I have but one requirement for my next stop in the airlines....NO ALPA.

I am coming to the same conclusion about ALPA. What's to say we as a group form an in house union and just kick ALPA off the property. Do not know if it is the right thing to do or if it is even possible. And if it was possible how long would it take to ratify. ALPA National's only concern with ASA is getting our money, period. If ALPA had any integrityit would have been thier to help us and the many other airlines before us, oops my bad we do not contribute enough money for complete support. lol, anyway as far as the pilots leaving I would like to here a real number so you management types on here (flightinfo) please divulge-it is your job also on the line !!!

Also on another note it is time for mass sickouts! And yes that would be a job action. That is what they get.

Or, in other words, unless every pilot at this company just rolls over and takes it up the rear. There are 2 sides to this negotiations process, and the company needs to "get reasonable" every bit as much as ALPA does. I for one would rather see ASA fade into history than take what management is trying to force on us. Maybe you don't see yourself as a valuable asset in this organization, but many of us do, and we are insulted by what management has done to us in the past 4 years.

Or, in other words, unless every pilot at this company just rolls over and takes it up the rear. There are 2 sides to this negotiations process, and the company needs to "get reasonable" every bit as much as ALPA does. I for one would rather see ASA fade into history than take what management is trying to force on us. Maybe you don't see yourself as a valuable asset in this organization, but many of us do, and we are insulted by what management has done to us in the past 4 years.

Maybe you should leave then. It's obvious that negotiations are going nowhere. He!! we aren't even meeting and don't have any plans to meet. Both sides are just sitting home by the phone. Why don't those of you are obviously unhappy here leave so those of us who aren't unhappy can keep our jobs. Are you just he11bent on taking us with you?

If 90% of Skywest new hire classes are ASA guys, then why would Jerry be motivated to settle the contract??? At that rate, logic tells me that eventually everyone will be a non-union Skywest new hire pilot.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back